U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 04:41 AM

21,413 posts, read 14,357,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes whats wrong with what the guy did.. SHOWING CARING AND COMPASSION!!!
Misplaced caring and compassion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 07:59 PM

3,385 posts, read 924,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's almost as if the momma bear knew there would be hikers coming along, so she left the cub right on the trail. Seems like a very unusual place for a sleepy, weak bear to be left.
I wish we could know more about the circumstances, but we can't.
I live in Florida, where the weather is usually nice all year long. Well, I do live in a neighborhood where there many feral cats, and one evening, I kept hearing this noise outside my back door. I go to look, and there were 4 kittens just sitting there, mewing. I looked over in the yard, and I believe it was the mother cat. She just looked at me, then took off into the woods. I didn't know what to do with the babies, but I knew it was going to be a cold night, so I brought them in and settled them in my bathroom. They stayed nice and warm, I fed them some canned milk, and I would go on and raise them and I still have them to this day. The mother cat, I never saw her again, but I don't care what people say. She knew a cold front was coming and I believe she brought her babies to my doorstep, knowing I would take them in and save them.

Now as for this bear incident. I would probably have just called the park rangers and alert them of the situation, even though myself I have helped fawn who's mothers were killed by hunters or cars, and take them to the nearest sanctuary. But I do think jailing the guy is too harsh. Personally, I wouldn't have been aware that it's illegal to handle wildlife, unless there were signs upon the entrance to the park and on trees that indicates so. But save the jails for real criminals. I'm tired of these child predators that keep getting out on a technicality while someone who actually has a heart is thrown in jail for BS.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:31 AM

15,866 posts, read 6,242,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
But save the jails for real criminals. I'm tired of these child predators that keep getting out on a technicality while someone who actually has a heart is thrown in jail for BS.
I repped this post last night. It seems that we look for ways to enforce the law against otherwise good citizens to create a spurious equality.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:40 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,696,178 times
For all of you going on about jail and how they should concentrate on putting real criminals in jail: he was not charged with anything. Get your facts straight before you start emoting. Feeling strongly about something you hear on the news or the interwebs does not make it true. Emotions are not facts.

Oregon hiker receives warning, not citation, for taking bear cub to wildlife center - ABC News

Old 04-12-2017, 12:29 PM

258 posts, read 153,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Exactly! I would have done the same thing if the mother bear wasn't around and seemed to not be coming back. It's possible she was killed by a car, or a hunter and the little bear cub would have died without his intervention.
'Hunter's' don't hunt bear in the spring. You meant 'poachers'. Typical noninformed person blaming hunters.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:57 PM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times
I am suspecting that reading through this, you can tell who lives in the city and who lives in the country.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 AM

34,672 posts, read 33,671,635 times
I think his heart was in the right place even if he did the wrong thing. It's not like he tried to take the cub home and nurse him back to health, himself. He took the cub to the people most likely to know what to do. I don't recall, in my visits to wildlife refuges, any signs that say what you should do if you come across an injured or sick animal.

I do know that on Assateague Island they have signs posted and photos in handouts that say not to get too close to the wild horses and I think, not to feed them, and then show photos of people who were bitten by them for doing just that and making sure they know it hurts. Yet, every time I go there the knuckleheads are still trying to pet them or get a photo of themselves standing next to the horses.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:33 PM

3,461 posts, read 1,854,094 times
Everyone's bashing the guy for rescuing the bear, but what about the wildlife center? Why didn't they just euthanize it instead of bringing it back to health? Didn't they contribute to the violation?

Old 04-17-2017, 07:11 PM

15,866 posts, read 6,242,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Everyone's bashing the guy for rescuing the bear, but what about the wildlife center? Why didn't they just euthanize it instead of bringing it back to health? Didn't they contribute to the violation?
Yes. String them up. Hang 'em high. </sarcasm> I repped the post.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:02 PM

8,791 posts, read 5,649,808 times
Another lucky good Samaritan. Their motives are great. Their judgment is very poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or