U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:04 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,664,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes whats wrong with what the guy did.. SHOWING CARING AND COMPASSION!!!
I agree here, but we all are told we should get someone to help rather than try to take care of this ourselves. This is done more for the safety of the human.

With bears just being born and coming out of hibernation kind of wonder if the little guy was just not getting enough food due to it being springtime. Possibly, mom was off trying to find food......sometimes humans kindness is not what wildlife need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 09:12 AM

2,152 posts, read 1,169,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
In nature, mothers abandon their young for a variety of reasons. His actions have far reaching consequences. It might be the reason a turkey vulture and her babies will starve this spring. No home for maggots might be the reason a fly-pollinated plant doesn't produce seeds this season. There might be an endangered butterfly that realies on the propagation of that plant. People should observe and appreciate the cycle of wildlife, rather than interfering with it, especially given that the consequences are both far reaching and unknown. His caring and compassion should be reserved for other people and for pets. I'm fine with him getting charged.
Or possibly the mother bear was killed by a human or a car and didn't actually abandon the cub. It could have been human interference that started the cycle of events so it could be that he wasn't causing disruption in the order of nature.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:28 AM

22,709 posts, read 28,757,635 times
Quote:
......... SHOWING CARING AND COMPASSION!!!
It is not showing caring and compassion to pick up baby wildlife and carry it away. The forest is not a set for a Disney movie. The forest has it's own laws and they are not human laws.

The guy is lucky he wasn't mauled to death by an enraged mother bear.

All of you who think that interfering with wildlife is showing caring and compassion, next time you find an "abandoned" baby animal, do not touch it. You can call the local rangers and report the location if you feel you absolutely must do something.

That baby bear is going to end up euthanized. Once it has been fed by humans, it won't be safe to return it to the wild and no zoo is going to take another common black bear. It is not suitable to go into a pet home. There is no place for it, so it will be destroyed.

It's beyond me how some city slicker out in the woods would even be able to tell whether or not a baby animal was in distress. The cub might have very well been in normal condition for the time of year and the area.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:58 AM

8,063 posts, read 3,162,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Exactly! I would have done the same thing if the mother bear wasn't around and seemed to not be coming back. It's possible she was killed by a car, or a hunter and the little bear cub would have died without his intervention.

Perhaps, but instead of taking the bear to the wildlife center, he could have noted its location and told the people at the wildlife center about the situation instead. They'd know better how to handle it than he would.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:00 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,856,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

All of you who think that interfering with wildlife is showing caring and compassion, next time you find an "abandoned" baby animal, do not touch it. You can call the local rangers and report the location if you feel you absolutely must do something.
This is the only real answer. If you want to do anything, you keep your distance and contact a ranger. Even if it means you drive/hike to the nearest ranger station. Do not interact with the wildlife.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:22 AM

15,554 posts, read 13,546,109 times
The proper thing is to contact the authorities right away and let them make a determination. I am all for heloing animals, but I am also aware of unintentional consequences.

The key is they "may" press charges. I think the issue is they want to prevent people from picking up every single animal they come across, preventing those "Yellowstone Bison" incidents. The authorities may determine no charges are needed.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:39 AM

78,822 posts, read 70,635,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It is not showing caring and compassion to pick up baby wildlife and carry it away. The forest is not a set for a Disney movie. The forest has it's own laws and they are not human laws.

The guy is lucky he wasn't mauled to death by an enraged mother bear.

That baby bear is going to end up euthanized. Once it has been fed by humans, it won't be safe to return it to the wild and no zoo is going to take another common black bear. It is not suitable to go into a pet home. There is no place for it, so it will be destroyed.

It's beyond me how some city slicker out in the woods would even be able to tell whether or not a baby animal was in distress. The cub might have very well been in normal condition for the time of year and the area.
Actually, this is a good point. The bear appeared malnourished because it had been hibernating all winter. It appeared "lethargic" possibly because it was still coming out of hibernation mode. Why it was on the ground in the middle of the trail is an unanswerable question. As someone else said, the mom might have placed the baby there while she went off looking for food. OTOH, there are cases of a momma bear dying after encountering some kind of problem. There's no way to know in this case.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:06 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,098,705 times
Quote:
Yes whats wrong with what the guy did.. SHOWING CARING AND COMPASSION!!!

How about some care and compassion for that other hungry predator, perhaps on the verge of starvation, that wouldn't mind picking up an easy meal?

You know, the way nature actually works.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:39 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,037,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The proper thing is to contact the authorities right away and let them make a determination. I am all for heloing animals, but I am also aware of unintentional consequences.

The key is they "may" press charges. I think the issue is they want to prevent people from picking up every single animal they come across, preventing those "Yellowstone Bison" incidents. The authorities may determine no charges are needed.
This is why they should press charges.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:32 PM

15,554 posts, read 13,546,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
This is why they should press charges.
It depends, the article did not give enough information.

People save, rescue, whatever wildlife all of the time, so it is not some one solution fits all thing. They recently rescued two cubs that were malnourished and no one was talking about pressing charges. A rescued some baby squirrels before and the cops were not knocking on my door. I also though was aware of baby squirrels, and the fact mothers come get them, but these were in a situation where the mother most likely will not come, and they most likely will get ran over or stepped on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or