U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:39 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,706,496 times

Advertisements

For those who don't know what the Yellowstone bison incident was about:

Why Yellowstone Had to Euthanize a Bison Calf After a Visitor Put It in His Car - ABC News

Someone I knew years ago when I was in grad school in environmental sciences did field work one summer and part of it involved setting fires on grasslands as part of their management. There are species that are fire-adapted and require it for growth, germination, etc. Some crunchy granola types came running up offering to help them put the fire out. They said they were the ones who set the fire and boy, the crunchies gave them a piece of their minds. They were showing "care" and "compassion" to the ecosystem, and the workers were obviously evil anti-environment types.

If you don't know what you're doing, don't know the normal behaviors and ecology of wild animals you're observing and are expert in interacting with them, keep your hands off them and contact someone who does know what he/she is doing if you're concerned about the animals. There's a reason why they're the wildlife experts and you're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 02:23 PM

3,515 posts, read 1,604,852 times
Welcome to America! Feeding a malnourished cub and the prison-industrial complex.

If this is what we've come to, not even Rump can make America great again.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-30-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 03:09 PM

11,086 posts, read 4,872,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Prosecute him, he violated the law.
Prison cafeteria:

"So what're you all in for?"
"Murder"
"Bank robbery"
"Stabbed an old lady and pickled her organs"
"... my turn? Um, for rescuing a dying baby bear cub. "

Old 03-30-2017, 03:12 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,193,980 times
Why is it looked at as saving a bear cub rather than starving other predators/scavengers?

Unless it's some endangered species(and made so by man) you should just let nature do its thing out in the wild.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:52 PM

9,162 posts, read 3,010,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
In nature, mothers abandon their young for a variety of reasons. His actions have far reaching consequences. It might be the reason a turkey vulture and her babies will starve this spring. No home for maggots might be the reason a fly-pollinated plant doesn't produce seeds this season. There might be an endangered butterfly that realies on the propagation of that plant. People should observe and appreciate the cycle of wildlife, rather than interfering with it, especially given that the consequences are both far reaching and unknown. His caring and compassion should be reserved for other people and for pets. I'm fine with him getting charged.
It's human nature to interfere with everything.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:56 PM

3,515 posts, read 1,604,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Prison cafeteria:

"Murder"
"Bank robbery"
Some states have agreements with private prisons, that they'll be kept at a certain level of occupancy. No idea if Oregon is one of them, although the fact that they arrest people for harvesting rainwater on their own roof speaks for itself. Either way, to maintain the required level of prison occupancy, you need to incarcerate enough people to begin with. Ruining the lives and careers of citizens who meant no harm (because they won't be able to find a job after release) is just the cost of doing business.

I weep for our country's future!

Old 03-30-2017, 04:03 PM

33,900 posts, read 42,143,850 times
If he's charged and convicted he'll likely pay a fine so no imaginary "prison-industrial complex".

He did the exact wrong thing, sorry animal lovers.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:13 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,855,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Prison cafeteria:

"Murder"
"Bank robbery"
I understand your post is jokingly in nature, but this type of charge (if they actually file any) would I'm sure be downgraded to the point where the punishment would just be community service and maybe a small fine.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:50 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,280,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Exactly! I would have done the same thing if the mother bear wasn't around and seemed to not be coming back. It's possible she was killed by a car, or a hunter and the little bear cub would have died without his intervention.
I know!

Sheesh, people are treating it like it's some sort of wild animal!

Oh... wait...

Old 03-30-2017, 05:42 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,526,154 times
Another person who thought the law doesn't apply to them.

Just like the law against shoplifting ...........you prosecute each time to send a message to the next dufus .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or