U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:21 PM

78,615 posts, read 70,508,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It is quite common for female bears to abandon an infirm cub. Perhaps the hiker knew this. The animal officials don't seem to be well-informed.
It's almost as if the momma bear knew there would be hikers coming along, so she left the cub right on the trail. Seems like a very unusual place for a sleepy, weak bear to be left.
I wish we could know more about the circumstances, but we can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 03:54 PM

12,615 posts, read 7,538,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's almost as if the momma bear knew there would be hikers coming along, so she left the cub right on the trail. Seems like a very unusual place for a sleepy, weak bear to be left.
I doubt a wild bear understands what a hiking trail is. To them, its just another part of their natural habitat.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:05 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,315,783 times
Quote:
This is true, he took a tremendous risk. He said he watched the baby from a distance for awhile, to see if there were any signs or sounds of momma-bear activity around. Still, he could have ended up with a momma bear in hot pursuit after him down the trail, following his scent, if she came back to find that her baby was gone.
He said he watched for ten minutes. That's less time than the drive-thru at McDonalds.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:09 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,315,783 times
Quote:
That's an anthropomorphic interpretation. Anyway, if a sow did leave the cub deliberately, she probably stashed the it in a bush or tree, and it climbed, crawled, or fell out.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:18 PM

78,615 posts, read 70,508,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I doubt a wild bear understands what a hiking trail is. To them, its just another part of their natural habitat.
If its den was in the general vicinity, it would have been aware of the human traffic passing through. It can distinguish a trail from underbrush, as well. But would it choose to leave and abandon an ailing cub there? I doubt it. But the scene kinda looks that way, that's all I was saying.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:08 PM

100 posts, read 43,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Why is it looked at as saving a bear cub rather than starving other predators/scavengers?

Unless it's some endangered species(and made so by man) you should just let nature do its thing out in the wild.
I guess we're giving them too much credit by assuming they can hunt/scavenge other things?

Old 03-31-2017, 09:12 PM

100 posts, read 43,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Some states have agreements with private prisons, that they'll be kept at a certain level of occupancy. No idea if Oregon is one of them, although the fact that they arrest people for harvesting rainwater on their own roof speaks for itself. Either way, to maintain the required level of prison occupancy, you need to incarcerate enough people to begin with. Ruining the lives and careers of citizens who meant no harm (because they won't be able to find a job after release) is just the cost of doing business.

I weep for our country's future!
Reading this, I was wondering if the person you quoted ever heard of a disorderly person. The majority of people arrested for being disorderly weren't.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:39 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,607,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
WHY??

HE WAS SAVING A LIFE..... Something not many ppl do now!!!!!!
Dude....have you actually read all of the threads? There are many explaining why it was a bad idea....besides being against the law. And it's against the law for good reason.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:49 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,607,652 times
Quote:
Seriously?

Old 04-01-2017, 12:11 AM

318 posts, read 183,417 times
Quote:
This didn't happen in Jellystone Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or