Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:27 AM

3,505 posts, read 762,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Did anyone attempted to perform he Heimlich maneuver on her ?

Sorry, did not read any article
the article stated that the pancake material was so compacted in her mouth and throat that it was nearly impossible to dig it out which suggests to me a speed eating contest ,,,perhaps someone with experience in doing a tracheotomy may have made a difference but indications are she did not die from choking and how many people can do that anyway ? ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 01:28 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,980 times
The whole idea of fraternities and sororities is stupid. We'll evaluate you, get you drunk and humiliate you and if you're cool enough maybe we'll let you be a part of our club. Really?

Old 04-12-2017, 03:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
The whole idea of fraternities and sororities is stupid. We'll evaluate you, get you drunk and humiliate you and if you're cool enough maybe we'll let you be a part of our club. Really?
I never liked them nor wanted to be a part of them but to each their own. Most do a lot of charity work and it's impressive on resumes depending on the job you're going for or if you're going into more schooling, especially if you were involved in the organization in leadership positions.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:13 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG17 View Post
Many years ago, I took a class about self defense and learned to assess a room (for other things too). The instructor asked us who would go to if the situation went a rye. Many said him and a few said however they knew (if they went with someone). I said "Myself". He belittled my answer, but honestly in a real zero to TEN situation like this, at BEST people will probably do bad trying to help and worst do nothing. It's not a malice thing. It's just people don't have the skills to do anything.

I find most bad situations are avoided by knowing your surroundings, getting a feel for the people, and acting like an adult. There have many times a situation seemed off to me and I left. Later find out those who stayed had some sort of problem. I also think many people like drama and being victims. I.e. put themselves in foolish situations and/or act foolish. There's always someone to coddle them, and the one time there isn't there may be tragedy.
lol. I had to read that several times. I thought you were talking about choking on rye bread.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:34 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
It was bound to happen, the family is filing a lawsuit against the school.

https://people.com/food/caitlin-nels...ntest-lawsuit/

Quote:
Over a year after 20-year-old Sacred Heart University student Caitlin Nelson died from choking in a charity pancake-eating contest on campus, her family is suing the school for her alleged wrongful death.

Rosanne Nelson filed a lawsuit against Sacred Heart University on Monday in Superior Court in Bridgeport, Connecticut over the death of her daughter.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:56 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
Did no one even think that she might be choking and attempt the Heimlich maneuver on her? It could have saved her life.

Yes, eating contests are dumb, but so were the spectators in this case IMO.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:09 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Competitive eating is nuts. I cringe every time I see the hot dog contests, too. Ugh.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:38 PM

50,724 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Competitive eating is nuts. I cringe every time I see the hot dog contests, too. Ugh.
I agree. People are saying nasty things about this girl and how stupid she is, when ESPN shows eating contests as a sport. We in Philly have stupid "Wingbowl" every year, which is televised as well. If an activity is that socially accepted that it's a nationally televised spectator sport complete with corporate sponsorship, I think its understandable that a young girl wouldn't think of it as dangerous. I hate those comments, I can't even count the number of things I did in my teen years that "There but for the Grace of God" could have been tragic. I guess the mean posters were mature right from birth.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:45 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
These contests should be against the law. Same with the water drinking contest that people have died from.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:50 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
I am actually surprised that choking-deaths don't happen more often during eating-contests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events