Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times

Advertisements

Many seem to be assuming that she died from choking. But the fact that she suddenly fell to the floor and started shaking sounds more like an anaphylactic episode. It's possible that there was something in the pancakes that she wasn't aware of, and had a reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 09:11 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
This is horrible She had friends, family and full life ahead of her. She was a human being, and from what I read, a good one. I'm sure she didn't go into it thinking a pancake eating contest for a charity event would do her in.

I wonder if something else caused the seizure causing her to choke. Sounds horrible, she passed days later too. Hope she wasn't suffering. She was on organ donor, so her organs were harvested to help others. It sounds like she was a sweet girl, my thoughts go out to her family

Old 04-04-2017, 09:36 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
always great to be the first one to jump in with an unoriginal snarky comment

Her father, James Nelson, was a Port Authority police officer who died at the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.
What relevance does that have to do with anything.

I bet if it were a BLM gathering and someone died during an eating contest some of you same people would then be mocking the person.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,489 times
Wait, this was a pancake eating contest for charity and people think this young woman deserved to die? Unreal.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:41 AM

973 posts, read 914,379 times
This is the internet...where people come out of the woodwork to say things they'd otherwise never have the balls to utter to someone's face.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:22 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Shoving too much of anything down your throat can kill you. Why they chose CPR instead of trying to get the food dislodged is beyond me.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
always great to be the first one to jump in with an unoriginal snarky comment

Her father, James Nelson, was a Port Authority police officer who died at the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.
Well, that's sad too but it doesn't automatically make his daughter particularly smart, or her mode of death any more understandable or noble.

That being said, I wouldn't go so far as to say she deserved to die. She was doing a silly thing, like many of us do or did in college. My gosh, it's not like she died of a drug overdose.

I do feel sorry for her family.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:51 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
There are some pretty heartless comments on this thread. In the grand scheme of things a pancake eating contest is pretty tame and I think it's harsh to be so critical about someone who died while participating in one. I certainly put myself in much more dangerous situations when I was in high school and college and like most of us was lucky enough to get out unscathed.

This is very sad in my view. Be honest with yourselves, who would anticipate a pancake eating contest being that dangerous? I read that her father also died in the 9/11 attacks, this family has seen an unfair share of tragedy.
I agree with all points made in this post.

Sorority girl dies after choking at pancake-eating contest | Daily Mail Online

Per the link, she was a very pretty girl, her father was a hero & she was studying to be a Social Worker.

It also said that she had volunteered with the Resiliency Center of Newtown, helping survivors of the Sandy Hook School shooting deal with their losses & also volunteered at America's Camp, an annual retreat for children of 9/11 victims.

Very, very sad.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I agree with all points made in this post.

Sorority girl dies after choking at pancake-eating contest | Daily Mail Online

Per the link, she was a very pretty girl, her father was a hero & she was studying to be a Social Worker.

Very, very sad.
OK I just have to say something here.

I'm sorry she died, and even sorrier that she died doing something so inane. I don't BLAME her for dying and I don't think she's stupid for entering a pancake eating contest, but wow, what a sad, silly sort of way to die - and at such a young age. It's a tragedy for her family.

HOWEVER:

How her dad died doesn't play any part in her death or make her any more noble or make me any more sympathetic toward her. Toward her family - yes, especially her mother because she's lost a husband and now a child in completely separate tragedies. However, the father died a hero. The girl - not so much - just a senseless death.

Whether or not she was pretty has absolutely ZERO bearing on her value as a person.

As for studying to be a social worker - that's also neither here nor there. There are many, many careers and fields out there which offer services that are just as valuable, or moreso, to humanity.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:03 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Shoving too much of anything down your throat can kill you. Why they chose CPR instead of trying to get the food dislodged is beyond me.
Because there may not have been any food stuck. She may not have been choking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events