Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 07:32 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00
I don't believe this story at all. I feel the mother made it up to go viral.
Ya possible.... So hard to tell these days whats real and what isnt!! (Especially online)

Quote:
Benner wrote that the cashier’s comments upset her at first, but her daughter, in a moment of wisdom beyond her years, broke it down for the woman right quick. “Sophia responded with, ‘Yes, she does. She’s a doctor like I’m a doctor. And I’m a pretty girl and she’s a pretty girl. See her pretty hair? And see her stethoscope?'”
If its true GOD BLESS her heart......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 07:38 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Where was the racism in this story?
The assumption that a little white girl wouldn't want (or shouldn't want) a black doll.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:58 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
These story links are what's called CLICK BAIT.
Yahoo creates an attention grabbing title and story, true or not, creates a link, makes money off of every click. Note all the adds that pop up.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:16 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I've done cashiering and I do comment on what people buy, but I try and do so in a funny way to make them laugh. If they buy a large amount of toilet paper I may ask them "do you guys eat a lot of Mexican food" or if ask for a pregnancy test as we keep them behind the counter (why?) I will joke about how some people, not me, wouldn't understand discretion and would yell out "HEY BOB, WHERE DO YOU KEEP THE PREGNANCY TESTS, NEXT TO THE KY JELLY RIGHT?" and they always laugh.
They're laughing out of politeness or because they're uncomfortable. As one who can appreciate inappropriate humor (think Jim Norton, Dave Chapelle, etc.), these aren't even funny. FWIW, inappropriate humor has its place and time, the checkout line ain't it.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:46 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
LOL what a crock of horse $hit. There are suckers born every day that believe these fairy tales. OP should get an infraction for posting this nonsense.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:21 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Yeah, not buying this one. Someone wants hits/clicks/E-fame etc...

Old 04-05-2017, 09:22 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
They're laughing out of politeness or because they're uncomfortable. As one who can appreciate inappropriate humor (think Jim Norton, Dave Chapelle, etc.), these aren't even funny. FWIW, inappropriate humor has its place and time, the checkout line ain't it.
I say otherwise. I work there and see many of them daily, so I would be in a better position to know. To think that you know better than me is ridiculous. And unless my boss says otherwise, if I say such humor is appropriate, then that I say it is means that it is and that's that.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 AM

4,027 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Quote:
I've done cashiering and I do comment on what people buy, but I try and do so in a funny way to make them laugh. If they buy a large amount of toilet paper I may ask them "do you guys eat a lot of Mexican food" or if ask for a pregnancy test as we keep them behind the counter (why?) I will joke about how some people, not me, wouldn't understand discretion and would yell out "HEY BOB, WHERE DO YOU KEEP THE PREGNANCY TESTS, NEXT TO THE KY JELLY RIGHT?" and they always laugh.
Add me to the list of people who would be staring you down in shock that you think these statements are 'funny'.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:49 AM

4,027 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Quote:
Well not only do a lot of people laugh at those antics, the supervisor in fact has many who go to her and tell her they LIKE my doing that because it brings personality to the place. Yes there are those whom you can "sense" wouldn't feel that way and in such cases I'm very "matter of fact" bordering on monotous.
Based on your posting history of what *you* think is appropriate behavior from people.....I'd say that your ability to judge what people will and will not find funny is probably very sorely lacking.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
shyguylh, if your supervisor really approves of your work attitude as you have conveyed it in this thread DO WHAT YOU CAN TO KEEP THAT JOB!

Seriously, you have it made. Most people in the work world with your attitude can't stay in a job for more than a month or two. They get fired for the type of zany antics, and 'I don't give a flying f*** about what certain customers want to buy' style of customer service you provide.

Most employers do insist that you make an effort to know what products you sell, especially if you as the employee are required to retrieve them from the shelf, like cigarettes behind the counter, and they strongly discourage any small talk that might embarrass or alienate the customer, even if other customers are lined up at the manager's office door to praise your wit like in your case (/thathappened).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events