Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:40 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times

Advertisements

If you all are interested, you should check out Dan Bell's dead mall series on youtube. Alot of malls are dying, closed, abandoned or being demolished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I think people fail to realize how convenient online shopping is. You can be at work, on your phone, at home etc and still be shopping. I think the convenience factor plays a lot into it.
Sure, for electronics or other non-wearable items but clothes fit very different from designer to designer. A slim fit is someone else's version of classic fit, etc. Same with L vs XL. Heck, even a 36 inch waist fits like a 34 inch waist on another pair of pants.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Retail is dying because of bad customer service, clerks who follow you around the store because they assume you're going to steal, crowds, long lines, not enough parking, etc etc etc. People are doing their shopping online so they don't have to deal with that. I can't remember the last time I was in a Wal-Mart or a shopping mall. I wish I could do my grocery shopping online, too. I believe that if someone came up with a grocery store that takes online orders only and delivers them, they would run everyone else out of business. LOL

Not to mention every time I check out, I get:

Do you have a xxx card with us?

Do you want to open a credit card and save 15%? (and deal with an annual fee and 20% interest rate? No thanks.)

Are you sure you don't want a card? You could save a lot of money today!

Do you belong to our Rewards Club?

Do you want to sign up?

Are you sure?

Can I get your email address/phone number?

NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Amazon Prime all the way.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:48 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Sure, for electronics or other non-wearable items but clothes fit very different from designer to designer. A slim fit is someone else's version of classic fit, etc. Same with L vs XL. Heck, even a 36 inch waist fits like a 34 inch waist on another pair of pants.
True, but if you buy from the same designer/brand regularly you often know which items will fit right and can safely buy those online. (And I'm finding I may be forced to do this with shoes going forward, as none of the local shoe stores carry Easy Spirit - or seemingly any other brand of quality shoe - any more.)

Old 04-26-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
True, but if you buy from the same designer/brand regularly you often know which items will fit right and can safely buy those online. (And I'm finding I may be forced to do this with shoes going forward, as none of the local shoe stores carry Easy Spirit - or seemingly any other brand of quality shoe - any more.)
Of course, until they start cheapening the fabric and you realize it's lower quality but still paying the same price.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:09 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Of course, until they start cheapening the fabric and you realize it's lower quality but still paying the same price.
But all the manufacturers are doing that, so it's not a problem you can avoid by shopping in the store as opposed to online. The quality in the store won't be any better.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:43 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
This is certainly the reason I do most of my shopping online these days. Plus, I can get things online I'd never find in a local store.

One compromise I like a lot is to shop online, but select in-store pickup so I can still support some of my local businesses (such as my local camera store, which has a website that allows online ordering).
I like doing that too. Sometimes you can pick up items in the store faster than they can deliver it to your home.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Plus saves on shipping costs if you were heading to the store anyways

Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
This exact thing happened to me last week.

I went to LLBean to pick up some new shirts. After trying on a bunch of sizes and styles, I ended up buying two shirts. One was a Large - "Traditional fit" and the other was an XL "slightly fitted".

Old 04-29-2017, 08:20 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
If you all are interested, you should check out Dan Bell's dead mall series on youtube. Alot of malls are dying, closed, abandoned or being demolished.
The dead mall series is truly amazing. We were promised that the service industry would replace dull, danky, dangerous factory jobs. Now, the replacement turns out to be a hollowed out shell of nothing where once hoop earrings, crappy conformist books, and overpriced jeans were sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events