Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 07:19 PM

560 posts, read 1,129,710 times

Advertisements

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-up-retailers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 08:44 PM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Retailers need to figure out a way to appeal to shoppers like me. I do not want to buy clothing or shoes over the internet. I want to feel the fabric, look at the construction, and know the item will fit before I buy it. I do not want to order and pay for stuff that turns out not to meet my needs, then have to pack it up, return it, and get a refund - even if the seller pays for return postage.

The last time I wanted to buy a pair of shoes - plain, black, lace up walking shoes - I went to JCPenny, Belk, and two shoe stores. None of them had what I wanted in my size. For some reason "relaxed fit" shoes are now the thing. I bought a pair of Dr. Scholl's from Walmart for $20, which are not going to last very long.

The other issue is that clothing quality is now the pits. I do not want to buy a blouse with fabric so thin you can see through it or seams so poorly finished you know it will come apart the first time it is washed - and I do not do hand wash.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:50 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Walmart is still strong and kicking.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:08 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
The closing of brick and mortar stores is not the same thing as the end of retail.

Online is thriving. And yes, Wal-Mart is still strong and kicking.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:28 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Actually, Walmart retail sales stores are not doing as well as they expected. If you look at their financials, although they had an increase in retail store sales, their expenses wiped out most profits. What is holding Walmart up now is their on-line sales and ventures. Walmart is also slowly closing under performing retail stores. In some areas it's hidden because they may close a store but open up a neighborhood market. On paper they still show the same number of stores, but the larger operation goes away replaced by a smaller leaner operation. They also need the retail operations to support their on-line, similar to Amazons brick and mortar bookstores you see popping up.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:40 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Actually, Walmart retail sales stores are not doing as well as they expected. If you look at their financials, although they had an increase in retail store sales, their expenses wiped out most profits. What is holding Walmart up now is their on-line sales and ventures. Walmart is also slowly closing under performing retail stores. In some areas it's hidden because they may close a store but open up a neighborhood market. On paper they still show the same number of stores, but the larger operation goes away replaced by a smaller leaner operation. They also need the retail operations to support their on-line, similar to Amazons brick and mortar bookstores you see popping up.
I see some of the Walmarts adding gas stations. Sales in some locales must be pretty good to be able for them to include gas stations.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:52 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I see some of the Walmarts adding gas stations. Sales in some locales must be pretty good to be able for them to include gas stations.
With Kroger opening more Marketplace operations with gas stations, it has the potential to siphon away customers. Walmart has to open these stations to stay competitive. If you need some items or have prescriptions to fill, would you go to Walmart when those same items are the same price at Kroger and you also get money off each gallon of gas at a Kroger fuel station? Or worst still, a person plans to shop at Walmart but first stops at a Kroger fuels station for the cheap gas, While refueling, they decide why drive to Walmart when the Kroger is right here. Even if it cost a buck or two more on the final bill, the convenience of not having to drive to another store may be worth it. That is why Walmart must open up fuel stations.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:09 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
In my area the high end retail boutiques are doing pretty well. Customers still want to see and feel very expensive products before they purchase. The low end is struggling with many empty shops.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:09 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Actually, it is probably the opposite. Selling cheap gas as a "loss leader" will bring people to the store; now they just need to get them inside.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:45 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Walmart is still strong and kicking.
In Connecticut, all the Walmarts I've been to are completely trashed. Their product selection isn't good and what they have is poorly made. I have been in some down south (mainly because it was the only store I could find where I was) and was amazed at the difference. If you had blindfolded me and brought me inside, I never would have guessed it was Walmart.

We seem to have a lot of niche stores in my area that do well. But they come and go too. I live next to a pretty fancy town and that's where business seems to be booming - but there's a high percentage of stay at home soccer moms that spend a lot of time shopping.

We have a small plaza on the town line that recently filled the hole left by Ames (similar to Bradlees/Kmart/Caldors) that closed in 2002. One store went in maybe 8-10 years ago and they just put 2 other stores in the remaining space and they seem to be doing well.

Of course we have EMS, LLBean, Sears and others suffering.

I have to say, I really miss the stores like Ames/Caldors/etc. We had at least one in nearly every town and they weren't so big that you got lost in them. When Walmart and Target came in, they built such large stores that there aren't as many of them and they are actually more of a pain to get to for those of us who hate shopping. I actually order household supplies from Target online now.

Clothes are a whole other issue - lucky I don't buy much and shoes for me are sneakers and hiking boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events