Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 02:59 PM

808 posts, read 710,314 times

Advertisements

A. The girl should have known that sort of stuff isn't funny.
B. The boy should have at least confirmed it at school the next day or something. He had no clue about the validity of the claims, so he was wrong to act on it.
C. Was he really in perfect emotional health before the incident?
D. Incidents involving this sort of technology have been around as long as the technology itself, and not every suicide-due-to-bullying is entirely the bully's fault either, in fact far from it. Why is it that actual levels of bullying haven't seen anywhere near a dramatic increase since our grandparents were growing up, but bullying-related suicides have skyrocketed in my lifetime alone? Are people just that much of wussies now?
E. Why on earth were these kids even dating at ages 11 and 13? That's just a breeding (no pun intended) ground for bad things to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's the first thing I thought; 11-yr-olds have gf/bf's? What is that, 6th grade? How did the mom feel about her son having a gf at that age? She's silent on that score.
That was exactly my first thought too. Too young unless you're actually ready to possibly settle down with that person (so 16-18 at the earliest). When I was in 5th/6th grade my junk didn't even work yet and I hadn't yet had a real crush, so dating at that age is pointless from that standpoint too.

Last edited by Cheesehead92; 04-10-2017 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 03:00 PM

227 posts, read 257,915 times
I think it is time to start asking why these young individuals have so little resiliency. This decision to kill themselves instead of reach out for help, it's depressing. It's tragic and it is senseless. Why did this 11 year old not go to his parents and talk to them? Why this rush to kill himself? Are these young people so isolated that they have no one to confide in or reach out for emotional support?

Old 04-10-2017, 03:02 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbearcountry View Post
I think it is time to start asking why these young individuals have so little resiliency. This decision to kill themselves instead of reach out for help, it's depressing. It's tragic and it is senseless. Why did this 11 year old not go to his parents and talk to them? Why this rush to kill himself? Are these young people so isolated that they have no one to confide in or reach out for emotional support?

Yes, they are. We've all seen these kids sitting texting each other when they are sitting at the same table or in the same car. Social skills take practice. You can't practice that with an iPhone.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:03 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's the first thing I thought; 11-yr-olds have gf/bf's? What is that, 6th grade? How did the mom feel about her son having a gf at that age? She's silent on that score.
I don't know how it is in the age of social media, but I remember kids in middle school "going together", which just meant hanging out on recess and talking on the phone. It's not that crazy of an idea.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:04 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban
So faking own death now leads to criminal charges?
Yes because it led to a suicide...

ITS VERY SAD.... SHE PROBABLY IS LAUGHING ABOUT IT....... She deserves bad things!!!

Poor boy

Old 04-10-2017, 03:08 PM

808 posts, read 710,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbearcountry View Post
+100

It's exactly as I brought up in my post: everybody's such a wuss now. Our parents and grandparents got picked on in school, and they turned out just fine. Why has everybody become such a big baby in the last 20 years or so?

Old 04-10-2017, 03:43 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
I always wonder about these parents who all seem completely coherent, put together, running to the media, demanding attention and legislation and justice and new laws just days after their kids are dead. Most parents I know wouldn't be able to string three words together, let alone run a comb through their hair.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:08 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Ummmmm....being brought up properly has nothing to do with the child having underlying depression or an other mental health problem.

But I do agree, 11 year olds can be impulsive, but it stills seems like much more needs to be at play for a child that age to kill themselves. The mom is wrong that all was fine until he got that message.

I was thinking...maybe she was a couple years older and they did a suicide pact and then she faked that she went through it...maybe that would be cause for pressing charges? Big maybes left and right. But just a thought

Agreed. I've self harmed before and I would never ever blame that on how my parents raised me. Those were my issues and not theirs. They're great parents. Had nothing to do with the situation I was in during that time. People blame parents for everything, I wonder how many of them have kids themselves or if they blame their parents for all of their own flaws?

Old 04-10-2017, 04:17 PM

This whole story is just sad and messed up. I dunno what on Earth would possess a 13 year old girl to fake her own death, particularly one in a relationship. It reeks of some kind of deep psychological issue. Like she wanted to torment the people who care about her.

Its also terrible that this 11 year old boy took his own life as a result. This is why children especially pre-teen children should NOT date! They're nowhere near emotionally prepared. Even teenagers and young adults have growing up to do when it comes to relationships, but they're better equipped to deal with it.

I dunno why this girl decided to fake her own death, but we gotta consider than an 11 year old boy, particularly one who is in love and way over his head, is likely to be gullible. I dunno if I'd say he was depressed, though I'd say he was too young to even be in a relationship and this hit him like a freight train. Its very sad and unfortunate.

As for the 13 year old girl, she needs to be treated, seriously. Faking your own death is an extremely selfish and sadistic thing. People call suicide selfish; I don't think so. I think faking your death is what is selfish. What a negative way to get attention and hurt people. Pathetic. This girl needs help and the fact she's gonna be haunted by this for the rest of her life adds on to it. Tragic situation.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
It's sad but I don't see how charges against her can possibly stand. Just because the form of communication is new people don't know how to process this type of thing.

Did y'all not read the story?

"Now, a 13-year-old girl is facing criminal charges in connection to his death. Marquette County Prosecuting Attorney Matt Wiese said the girl posed as someone else when she was texting with Tysen and faked her own death. And the boy, for reasons still unclear, believed it and killed himself within two hours of receiving the messages, Wiese said."

"The girl, whose name was not released, has been charged with malicious use of telecommunication service, punishable by up to six months in juvenile detention; and using a computer to commit a crime, which carries up to a year in punishment. Both are misdemeanor charges."

She was pretending to be someone else, telling him that his girlfriend (herself in reality) had committed suicide. Its irrelevant whether or not she meant it as a prank, it was sent with cruel intentions. You don't just do that to someone. And guess what, it lead to him killing himself. Yes, she should be held responsible. At 13 you're old enough to know what you're doing is effed up. Yes, it WAS malicious. Very.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events