Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 03:04 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Strollers must be stowed. Either he tried to take it from her and she wouldn't give it to him or he had taken it and she tried to take it back which caused the struggle. I've read both versions of the story. At that point, rather than fighting over it as he did, he should probably just said the plane doesn't fly until she complies. Then we would have seem whose side the passengers were on.

As far as the passenger who confronted the FA, he dared the FA to hit him. Saying something if defense of someone he thought was being taken advantage of is one thing, daring him to sock him was another.

Lots of blame to go around but I think United is in for a couple of lawsuits.
It would appear that it was the FA who dared the passenger to hit him ......

“Hit me,” the flight attendant urges, motioning with his hands. “Come on, hit me!”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.02aee153e37b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 04:25 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
So far there are eleven different responses to this thread and no one has the story right. According to the network news, the lady brought a stroller aboard the plane and stowed it in the overhead bin. The flight attendant told her that it must be checked with luggage, not brought aboard. He was removing the stroller from the overhead bin when he accidentally hit the lady who was standing right next to him with the stroller. This is when Mr Big Mouth got involved and threatened the flight attendant.

The stroller should have never been brought on board. You can blame the gate keepers for not doing their job. The flight attendant did nothing wrong. He did not mean to hit the lady with the stroller. Why was she standing so close to him anyway? She was complaining and crying that she wanted her stroller back and didn't want it to be with checked luggage, which is where they sent it. Mr Big Mouth should have been removed and roughed up by airport security and charged with threatening a flight attendant, which is a federal offense. Of course the only one punished will be the flight attendant, who did nothing wrong.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:39 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
OK, I'm ready for my flight on United or American. Will they charge for the extra weight?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...110912ebc9.jpg

Last edited by toosie; 04-22-2017 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: TOS - image copyright

Old 04-22-2017, 05:23 PM

683 posts, read 464,866 times
I wish someone who was on the flight would actually give a true account of what happened. If what the above poster said, then, well, the stroller should NOT have been brought on the plane, and shame on the personnel who let it get THAT far. If the FA was indeed taking it out of the overhead bin to gate check it, well, he had every right to do so. Imagine hitting turbelance and that thing flying out and hitting someone? Its bad enough that you have to worry about suitcases flying out of the overheads.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:32 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
What a lot of gossip.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Seems a bit confusing as to what did actually happen. I won't say that the lady was fake crying....But, it did seem to be going on for a long time, considering she didn't seem to be hurt.

I'm not so sure that the male passenger wasn't genuinely trying to stick up for someone.
Likely we will never know.

But, there are always two sides.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:07 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
But, there are always two sides.
And apparently journalist who are inept at writing headlines or don't mind convoluting the truth in a bid for reader's sympathies.
"Woman accidentally hit with stroller" just doesn't grab attention in the same way

Old 04-22-2017, 10:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It would appear that it was the FA who dared the passenger to hit him ......

“Hit me,” the flight attendant urges, motioning with his hands. “Come on, hit me!”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.02aee153e37b
But even though it isn't emphasized in this article as it has been in others, the FA's comment was in response to the passenger's threat of a dare for him to come at him. No he shouldn't have responded but he did not instigate the threat. He probably snapped because he had been dealing with a difficult passenger who wanted to make herself an exception to the rules as stated here.

Quote:
“You can’t use violence with baby,” the female passenger says, through tears, toward the plane door where some passengers can still be seen boarding. “Just give me back my stroller, please.”
Was she using her baby as an excuse to get what she wanted by making that comment? It almost sounds that way. She boarded with the stroller and tried to take it with her. Strollers are not allowed in the cabin. They must be stowed up front. It makes no sense. Why couldn't she just follow the rules regarding strollers like everyone else who boars with them?

If you fly much, you have probably seen a bunch of strollers right outside the door of the ramp waiting for their owners after the flight. They are brought right to the door of the plane so the owners can claim them as they leave the plane. Most people traveling with a baby board with a stroller and and are willing to follow these rules. What made her think she was entitled to be an exception?

Now I think the FA could have found a better way to handle the situation. If he actually did use force to take the stroller when she refused to surrender it and accidentally hit her in the process that's unfortunate. However, she has to take some of the blame for refusing to do what everyone else who boards a plane with a stroller does by relinquishing it prior to take off.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:43 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
If the stroller needed to be with baggage, or stowed with the flight attendants, it should never have made it that far into the plane. She must have gone by several airline employees with the stroller before all of this occurred. She had two babies, and there is no way a double stroller would fit in the overhead bins.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:00 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
How come whenever you hear about nightmare airline customer service it always involves a US carrier? As if having to deal with the TSA wasn't bad enough, you have to put up with the airlines' crappy customer service as well. And I thought private companies were supposed to be so much better than the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events