Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 10:38 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Some of those kids have no ability to say NO to peers--so immature and lacking personal strength to go their own way...
You see it all the time--
They are much more swayed by peer groups than any values their parents might have tried to infuse in them...
And as I said--the young man who complained and wanted to call 911 could have done that on his own but he didn't...
So in my POV they are ALL complicite in this murder--
No euphemisms like "tragedy", "mistake", "horror" or whatever--
Call it MURDER only--because that is what it is...
Exactly, and it's easy for an experienced adult to say that the victim should have done this or that and is at fault for what happened. Yeah, a 19-year-old is legally an adult, but in many ways is still an awkward teenager. He, and other guys like him want to belong, to impress, and to fit into this group. They don't want to stick out, they don't want to be a whistleblower, they don't want to get anyone in trouble, and they don't want to look like a loser. The frat brothers who ignored his condition are absolutely at fault for negligence, but if you can't see how the victim was able to be victimized by groupthink, then you're not paying attention.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:41 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I may need to retract my earlier post giving the University a pass here. I had forgotten about this story when a fraternity member went to the school to show sexual assault among other things and once again the school did nothing.

Penn State Whistleblower Claims College Knew About Secret Facebook Page Video - ABC News

Old 05-11-2017, 10:45 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The drinking age has nothing to do with this case. They are sociopaths. I normally am very forgiving when it comes to kids this age, but they, in a very calculated way, went about letting this boy die so as not to get into trouble for hazing. That is messed up. And how did that work out for them? Now they are in real trouble.

They don't know right from wrong. Well, actually what is worse is that they do but did wrong anyway. Society needs protection from them.

The drinking age had nothing to do with this?! They're just sociopaths?! Utterly ridiculous statement! How would they even be worried about the hazing? If the drinking were otherwise legal, then they would have just left those details out.

There's every reason to suspect they didn't get help because they didn't want to get in trouble for underage drinking. Whether you believe the drinking age is good or not, there's no doubt it indirectly caused this.

Though perhaps they would have been legally in the clear anyway. Possibly unbeknownst to them. Looks like Pennsylvania has passed "lifeline" legislation.

http://awareawakealive.org/educate/9...ne-legislation

Old 05-11-2017, 12:05 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,077,533 times
This gives a detailed timeline of the events that took place. At the very least, they should be held accountable for not getting him help as soon as he fell down the steps.

http://6abc.com/news/timeline-stunni...death/1976183/

Old 05-11-2017, 02:20 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Sickos, send them to prison hard time.

No mercy.

And get rid of fraternities.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
This gives a detailed timeline of the events that took place. At the very least, they should be held accountable for not getting him help as soon as he fell down the steps.

http://6abc.com/news/timeline-stunni...death/1976183/
Disgusting on every level.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:06 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Disgusting on every level.

Yep. Reading that timeline is very very disturbing. You don't simply ignore someone in this state for as long as they did.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I never understood the desire to be in a frat. You are in essence- buying friends. These people would have nothing to do with you if you didn't buy your way into their organization, and allow them to treat you like garbage as a "pledge". I guess insecure people think it gives them "status", and like the label.
I understand the desire that some people have to join a fraternity. It gives you a sense of belonging and many lifelong relationships are formed. It's not for everybody but I know a lot of people who hold their fraternity experiences in high regard.

What I don't get is harming people. Is it just a Lord of the Flies thing? If the boy who died was one of my kids I'd be looking for answers and change.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:22 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I understand the desire that some people have to join a fraternity. It gives you a sense of belonging and many lifelong relationships are formed. It's not for everybody but I know a lot of people who hold their fraternity experiences in high regard.

What I don't get is harming people. Is it just a Lord of the Flies thing? If the boy who died was one of my kids I'd be looking for answers and change.
I think it's part of the Penn State culture. Hide things, don't "rat people out" and cover up as much as you can. Joe Paterno, for example, didn't want his football boys to ever be put in the position of "ratting on each other". The molestation by Sandusky was well known by many people and hushed up for many years. Likewise these boys were trying to cover everything up, getting rid of the alcohol, the evidence, even trying to dress the dead boy in fresh clothing.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:32 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
Terrible what happened to this kid because of the indifference of his so-called "friends", and this just proves what we've always known - fraternities are composed of elities a-holes who think they're better than everyone else, and are "above" the rules/laws that the rest of us have to live by.

Fraternities are composed of people who can't think for themselves & have to "follow the crowd" in order to get validation from each other. They don't have an original thought between them - what a bunch of sheep. They probably have to get permission from "the brotherhood" to wipe their own a$$e$. All of these people can go screw themselves.

Moderator cut: .

Last edited by toosie; 05-14-2017 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: If you get a nasty rep, report it or DM me or mjlo to take care of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events