Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,911,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
If so, they need to get new lawyers. That is the worst possible legal advice. It just makes their behavior look even more heartless and cold.
Well, the concern is probably that either the parents or the school officials present, more the latter, could potentially say something that could potentially be used against the other. If the school official goes and says the wrong thing, even if it's something kind and nice for the family, it can be bad for the school, either in the criminal case or possible lawsuit in the future. It's really not bad legal advice, it just sounds cold. But I think it does make sense. I don't think it's that the presence alone could make the school look guilty, but the concern of what could be said. There is an active case and it's pretty common for attorneys to tell their clients to stay away from the other side, even for a funeral.

IMHO school officials are better off staying away. Frat brothers, maybe not. Depends on who they are and the extent of their role that night, if they played any role at all. I haven't looked into it, but at a school PSU's size, there must be more brothers than the number arrested. But I would imagine having some of the brothers there could get quite tense. I wonder if the parents actually truly wanted any of these people at their son's services. With their anger and confusion, I personally can't see how it would be good to face any Penn State people related to this incident in such a setting.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:35 AM

16,146 posts, read 10,290,874 times
The school did not feed this kid alcohol, then step over his lifeless body. I have a hard time understanding why a representative attending the funeral would be blamed for the death. Now the frat brothers, that would be a different story.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,911,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The school did not feed this kid alcohol, then step over his lifeless body. I have a hard time understanding why a representative attending the funeral would be blamed for the death. Now the frat brothers, that would be a different story.
Every university with frats and sororities knows of their activities and turns the other cheek until something happens. PSU knows they haze and drink excessively. The administration is not stupid.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:43 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,095,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Probably for the best. Really a no win situation destined for conflict. "How dare you show your face here?" - I just made that up, everybody stay cool.

Those guys didn't care for him while he was alive and stepped over him while he was dying, I wouldn't want to see them there, and I would be pretty upset if that had been my brother. It would probably have been a disruption. But I totally get that somebody should have come there at least. But it is hard to say who that could be and if it is fair they should bear that burden if they had nothing to do with his death.
You make some very good points.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:58 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I just think that people upset and grieving might not be as rational or forgiving and may place the blame on the school for breeding that type of culture. And like Jerseygirl said the admin knows what goes on to some extent on campus. There may be a civil suit down the road that the school is involved in. If they sent some official to the funeral and he says anything to anybody there that could possibly used against them to extract millions from the school's coffers in civil wrongful death judgement later.

At this point it is best just to stay away from each other and let the lawyers handle it.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:52 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,350,352 times
Quote:
Probably for the best. Really a no win situation destined for conflict. "How dare you show your face here?" - I just made that up, everybody stay cool.

Those guys didn't care for him while he was alive and stepped over him while he was dying, I wouldn't want to see them there, and I would be pretty upset if that had been my brother. It would probably have been a disruption. But I totally get that somebody should have come there at least. But it is hard to say who that could be and if it is fair they should bear that burden if they had nothing to do with his death.
But they didn't just step over him. According to the boy's parents the others tried to revive him by punching him, throwing water on him and jumping on him. When all that failed they just let him lie there.

This means they knew something was horribly wrong but did not take action to get help. It doesn't matter what kind of injuries he sustained. They were aware his injuries were serious enough to warrant seeking medical help but failed to do so.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ay-son-n759426

Last edited by Minervah; 05-17-2017 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Adding link

Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
But they didn't just step over him. According to the boy's parents the others tried to revive him by punching him, throwing water on him and jumping on him. When all that failed they just let him lie there.

This means they knew something was horribly wrong but did not take action to get help. It doesn't matter what kind of injuries he sustained. They were aware his injuries were serious enough to warrant seeking medical help but failed to do so.

Penn State Fraternity Death: Timothy Piazza's Parents Say Son Treated Like 'Road Kill' - NBC News
I was aware of all that, I wasn't trying to imply they didn't know he was gravely injured with that omission.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:29 AM

4,357 posts, read 6,506,632 times
Now they're on Double Secrete Probation.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,350,352 times
Quote:
I was aware of all that, I wasn't trying to imply they didn't know he was gravely injured with that omission.
Oh, I see. I guess I took that "stepping over" comment literally. They really did step over the fact he was seriously injured when they didn't call for medical help.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:42 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,075,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This means they knew something was horribly wrong but did not take action to get help.
Aside from the fact that they aren't EMTs, their judgment was seriously impaired by alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events