Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 12:30 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Great thread.

They have a similar program at my kids school for things like activity fees, bus costs...you name it.

All done anonymously, you just get an email like "A student can't afford cheerleading, her family can pay $100 of the $300" and then the people can donate.

We live in a pretty diverse economic area so it's a nice way to bring the community together.
My daughter's school did something similar as all arts programs, sports, etc were not in the county budget. But instead of a specific instance, they would just ask for volunteer funding into an existing account which could then be used for any student who wanted to do those activities but couldn't afford them. That funding could be from parents, businesses, whoever. So a bit like sponsorship I guess? When she was in chorus, this meant every kid, even those who normally could never afford it, were able to go on the Disney World trip. They actually always ended up with excess funds each year because people can be quite generous when given the opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 01:26 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Is this a public or private school? i thought public schools had free lunch. (it did when i attended in NYC)
When did you attend? When I was in public school in NYC, free lunch was generally offered if your family owed below a certain annual income. At my high school, however, so many students were in this situation that the school decided to just give everyone free lunch (it was partially a money thing, too, as there was some extra grant money available to schools if they provided X or Y percent of their student body with free lunch . . . or something along those lines). My sister is still in high school in NYC, and she doesn't qualify for free lunch. Even if she did, she wouldn't eat it due to the social stigma associated with it Me on the other hand, I gladly ate what the school was serving. I was not about to give up a free meal

Old 05-26-2017, 06:44 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Thanks for posting a positive story. Sometimes all the bad news is too much to take.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:06 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Great thread.

They have a similar program at my kids school for things like activity fees, bus costs...you name it.

All done anonymously, you just get an email like "A student can't afford cheerleading, her family can pay $100 of the $300" and then the people can donate.

We live in a pretty diverse economic area so it's a nice way to bring the community together.
Love this. Good on you and your neighbors.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:27 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
I'm so old I remember when parents were expected to feed their own children. It does not hurt a child to have to miss a lunch every now and then, and gives them a full appreciation for finding a way to earn a living.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:39 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
I'm so old I remember when parents were expected to feed their own children. It does not hurt a child to have to miss a lunch every now and then, and gives them a full appreciation for finding a way to earn a living.
Trust me, I have a lot of old school attitudes like that but when you're literally missing meals at that age it's shown they don't learn as well, low energy etc.

With that in mind if they have to say...walk a fair distance to school or face other hurdles I agree that it can build resilience that will carry them through life but missing meals is one I have to balk at due to the above reason.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:58 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Nice to hear good, positive news for a change.
We need more people like this.
How much better would the world be?

Old 05-29-2017, 07:17 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
I am so old that poor students were expected to buy / bring their own lunches. There were no free meals. I was raised in the projects and spent 50 cents on baloney sandwiches every day. I did not feel that I was missing out on anything....

Old 05-30-2017, 09:37 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Incredibly ignorant.

My mom worked in low income schools for 40 years. Some of her kids only meals were eaten at school. My heart broke for one child who wrote in his journal that his favorite thing about school was getting to eat. When asked to explain his entry, he said he didn't get food at home some days.

Say whatever you want about the parents; no child should have to go hungry because they have crappy guardians.

My mom always paid her kids accounts up. If she didn't, they would take their tray away after they'd gone through the line and give them a cheese sandwich with milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events