Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 01:44 PM

412 posts, read 509,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
God, I hope this is a joke. Having freedom of speech means that you can't be thrown in jail for speaking or writing against the government (like what happened to Pu$$y Riot in Russia or Ai Wei Wei in China.) It does not mean you get to publicly threaten and harass people without consequence.
They attacked him, he acted in self defence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 02:16 PM

111 posts, read 102,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Without trying to turn this thread into a political debate, as a African American poster I see where you're coming from and I can somewhat agree.

This catch and release style of "justice" that you described needs to stop. We need to stop letting people who commit violent crimes and and those thay show they're a threat to society out so easily and we seriously need to start investing in better treatment for the mentally ill.

To be honest I could care less of he is a white nationalist or some extremist liberal, because he isn't the only one. There's plenty of nut jobs out there who harm people and then come right back out like it's nothing. We need some serious reforms.
Thank you for the intelligent reply & insight.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why are you twisting things around? Nobody is "defending" the guy.

But the reality is he's crazy, and when the men approached him, he thought he needed to defend himself. Because he's crazy.

Nobody is defending him because they agree with him opposing Muslims. He's crazy, and getting in this guy's face about his words toward the 2 girls proved to be their undoing. Because he's crazy.

Nobody is siding with this nutjob because they agree with his Nazi-salute. Any more than they agreed or disagreed with him because he was a Sanders supporter. Nobody is "sympathizing" with the guy. The just understand that he's crazy.

Who knows that would have happened if the men hadn't approached the nutjob. Would he have followed the girls? Maybe. Would he have stabbed people on the train anyway? Maybe. Would he have just gotten off the train and walked away? Maybe. Nobody knows for sure, because he's crazy.
Another very intelligent reply.

It is quite simple... He's Crazy!

Old 05-31-2017, 02:26 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Police: Two people killed in NE Portland MAX train stabbing; sus - KPTV - FOX 12

I see these comic book movies of late have really got people hyped up that they can just intervene and stop situations that are dangerous and usually reserved for law enforcement. To have that Batman or Captain America moment is on the brain. Those 2 guys woke up never thinking their life would end this way and its sad really. If you can no doubt control the situation great, but other than that, its really a gamble.

Now speaking honestly, how many of you would have personally criticized them if they had minded their own business, or filmed what was going on to begin with to show to authorities, who now are actually looking for witnesses.
I think they would have gotten criticized whether they intervened or not, and no matter how it came out. I'm glad they acted out of conscience and I'm glad that chivalry is not yet dead, but this is a pretty high price to pay. The only person we should really be criticizing is the idiot with the knife.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:27 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'wet View Post
Another very intelligent reply.

It is quite simple... He's Crazy!
Something tells me that if this were a brown guy ranting in Arabic, you wouldn't just be calling him crazy.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:30 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
Not every person who overreacts is crazy. He's probably just a young, stupid hothead -- like the terrorists he is whipping himself up into a frenzy about.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:01 PM

No... He has a well documented history of unstable behavior. He has been arrested, jailed, reported upon & contacted by the police several times.

The Governor, the Mayor, the head of the Portland Police Bureau & the people who elected these officials, failed to protect the citizens of Oregon.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Something tells me that if this were a brown guy ranting in Arabic, you wouldn't just be calling him crazy.
What does that even mean?

Old 05-31-2017, 03:25 PM

10,702 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Someone trying to appease their white-guilt. Ignore it.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:38 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times
Quote:
It means that some people don't stop to think about the fact that crazy comes in all colors and speaks all languages, and automatically assume "terrorist" when an unstable person fits a certain image. Looks can be misleading. Sometimes violent acts happen because the person in question is just a nut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events