Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 09:59 PM

372 posts, read 533,779 times

Advertisements

This is so horrifying.

I feel really badly for him.

Unless you've lived in a fish bowl, you really can't understand how horrid it is.

People can be so cruel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 10:54 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and say he took a medication and it had crazy bad side effects. It does not say on the bottle to hide your keys, have a baby sitter, etc. If you are having a bad reaction to the medication, you don't go check the bottle. Maybe you think you are dreaming and in your dream, you decide to go for a drive.

I don't see how people don't get that.

But I don't know if this is true for him. I just think we don't have all the facts. And I don't give two craps about golf.
i agree with you. when you take certain medications they can put you in a sort of dreamlike state and you're not thinking that there is something necessarily wrong at the time because you are drugged. you can take it, go to sleep, and then you wake up an hour later or three hours later in a black-out state. you go about doing things that you have no recollection of doing the next day. like the quesadilla caper we both had!

but seriously, it's not a matter of saying just don't drive. that's why some drugs are really scary. i also took an anti-anxiety medication for awhile. i don't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it made me wacky! i hated it and what it did to me and i don't take it anymore. (i try meditation and yoga now instead of taking medication. i still have anxiety though. )

it could very well be that he was in a black-out from whatever he was taking and doing a sort of sleep walk that he doesn't even remember. i'm not a tiger fan, i really don't know much about him, but i'm also going to give him the benefit of the doubt until more information is known. the good thing is that nothing bad happened. his car was a little banged up, the tires were messed up, holes in them...so something happened at some point in time, that night or not. who knows.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:27 AM

876 posts, read 812,849 times
Tiger Woods might be the poster child for the dangers of being told one is "great" too early and often. He was the most dominant golfer since Nicklaus , earned billions and had a great family. All the while Mr. Woods was living a double life.

This incident is probably the nail in the coffin for his public life. I don't see Tiger coming back from this. What is the point when you have enough money to have every whim fulfilled.

He will be remembered as being the second greatest golfer of all time, and the game saw a huge boost in popularity in the mid to late 90's when he was on the rise. We may never see a golfer as dominant as Tiger was for more than a decade. After he fell out of the top spot, no one has stepped up in terms of ability to win majors consistently. The talent is so spread out now.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:30 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
People have been known to drive while on Ambien not recalling ever having done so. Are they at fault? I suppose they could put there keys somewhere where they can't get them while sleepwalking but I dunno.
The law would say yes as one is suppose to be 100% in control behind the wheel. No free passes.

I was on Ambien for about 14 years. Was on vacation and a couple with us started talking about an YOUNG employee who was having bad memory issues. They had to let her go as she was really screwing everything up. Turns out she was on Ambien. Which shuts down your whole brain! No wonder so many doctors would not RX it. I got off it that day, cold turkey. She is in some kind of memory PT working on getting hers back.

When I was on it and had to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, had to be very focused NOT to shut my eyes as I would go back to sleep sitting on the toilet. One night I had to go, put my feet on the floor and forgot to stand up. Fell on the floor stone floor.
Turns out I have restless leg syndrome. The drug I'm given helps me sleep too.

Sorry to deviate. But Ambien is not a safe drug for many. And if you have a doctor that wouldn't RX it to you, he's doing you a favor.

BTW - tiger is know as a cheap SOB in Vegas. He won't tip anyone and thinks he should be given freebies. Greedy jerk.
Even Charles Barkley would talk publicly how cheap he was.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:06 PM

876 posts, read 812,849 times
Martin Kaymer, former #1 ranked PGA pro, two-time major winner, pretty much sums up what should be the public reaction to Wood's recent troubles:

Martin Kaymer offers passionate defense of Tiger Woods after DUI arrest | Other Sports | Sporting News

Old 06-01-2017, 09:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
i agree with you. when you take certain medications they can put you in a sort of dreamlike state and you're not thinking that there is something necessarily wrong at the time because you are drugged. you can take it, go to sleep, and then you wake up an hour later or three hours later in a black-out state. you go about doing things that you have no recollection of doing the next day. like the quesadilla caper we both had!

but seriously, it's not a matter of saying just don't drive. that's why some drugs are really scary. i also took an anti-anxiety medication for awhile. i don't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it made me wacky! i hated it and what it did to me and i don't take it anymore. (i try meditation and yoga now instead of taking medication. i still have anxiety though. )

it could very well be that he was in a black-out from whatever he was taking and doing a sort of sleep walk that he doesn't even remember. i'm not a tiger fan, i really don't know much about him, but i'm also going to give him the benefit of the doubt until more information is known. the good thing is that nothing bad happened. his car was a little banged up, the tires were messed up, holes in them...so something happened at some point in time, that night or not. who knows.
I saw the video of them asking him about why he was sitting in a car in the middle of the road. He seemed very disconnected, and bewildered. It really ought to be his wake up moment, for him and all the rest, to those who keep poping psych meds and don't see what its done.

I wasn't taking any of it regularly, but had a few ambien left in a bottle, and it had been a very bad day I'd like to forget. I put some food on the stove and turned on the fire, and decided to take just one, knowing it would mostly blank out things but I needed that. I don't actually remember deciding to lay down but a couple at least hours later I woke up in bed, and had no idea how long I'd been there. But the food came to me and clarity and worry slipped in. The pan was hot and had a small sizzle left in the bottom, so I shut it off and let it cool and took a deep breath of gratitude that something had pushed the button to wake up and check. But I still felt like I was swimming in some darkish sea.

The first thing I did when I got up, sleeping it off, was get the ambien and get rid of them. I don't remember just what was going on in my head, but it was vivid enough it felt real. The next day I still felt like I was drifting in some kind of floating softness, but realized it was in my head.

My doctor seemed neither surprised or bothered by the experience. I'd love to see the drug ads end and the image updated. Yes, some of the meds out there now are extraordinary. But they can't be given out like candy. And patients should not need to self educate themselves about the side effects and dangers, and given a fully educated choice.

Tiger Woods should have a picture of his car on the middle of the road, and a few other reminders where he keeps his pills so maybe he'll pause and think before he decides its just easier to let the drug banish all the hurting, so easy to do.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:29 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Tiger Woods should have a picture of his car on the middle of the road, and a few other reminders where he keeps his pills so maybe he'll pause and think before he decides its just easier to let the drug banish all the hurting, so easy to do.
absolutely! and what a good idea for anyone struggling with addiction as well.

i wish dr's would stop prescribing ambien at all. that one is just bad all around. i can't say i have heard anything good about it.

*disclaimer, i'm not saying tiger is an addict. he may be, but i have no idea.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:19 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
People have been known to drive while on Ambien not recalling ever having done so. Are they at fault? I suppose they could put there keys somewhere where they can't get them while sleepwalking but I dunno.

Uhhh....one of my neighbors took Ambien...late in the afternoon, long after she had taken the Ambien the night before, she got in her minivan, drove down the road, plowed into a group of mailboxes & ended up in the ditch...and no memory of it. This happened just shortly before neighbor kids would have been dropped off school buses. So, yeah, I would say she was at fault.

BTW, if you watch that 24 minute police dash cam video of the police conducting field sobriety tests on him...it's pretty scary. He was obviously off in yayaland.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:14 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
Martin Kaymer, former #1 ranked PGA pro, two-time major winner, pretty much sums up what should be the public reaction to Wood's recent troubles:

Martin Kaymer offers passionate defense of Tiger Woods after DUI arrest | Other Sports | Sporting News
I think Martin should shut his mouth and practice more golf.....

Old 06-02-2017, 07:26 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I saw the video of them asking him about why he was sitting in a car in the middle of the road. He seemed very disconnected, and bewildered. It really ought to be his wake up moment, for him and all the rest, to those who keep poping psych meds and don't see what its done.

I wasn't taking any of it regularly, but had a few ambien left in a bottle, and it had been a very bad day I'd like to forget. I put some food on the stove and turned on the fire, and decided to take just one, knowing it would mostly blank out things but I needed that. I don't actually remember deciding to lay down but a couple at least hours later I woke up in bed, and had no idea how long I'd been there. But the food came to me and clarity and worry slipped in. The pan was hot and had a small sizzle left in the bottom, so I shut it off and let it cool and took a deep breath of gratitude that something had pushed the button to wake up and check. But I still felt like I was swimming in some darkish sea.

The first thing I did when I got up, sleeping it off, was get the ambien and get rid of them. I don't remember just what was going on in my head, but it was vivid enough it felt real. The next day I still felt like I was drifting in some kind of floating softness, but realized it was in my head.

My doctor seemed neither surprised or bothered by the experience. I'd love to see the drug ads end and the image updated. Yes, some of the meds out there now are extraordinary. But they can't be given out like candy. And patients should not need to self educate themselves about the side effects and dangers, and given a fully educated choice.

That is drug abuse. The correct way to take ambien is to take it shortly before bed, then go to sleep with the intention of sleeping 8 or more hours. When it isn't drug abuse is when people do that but then end up getting out of bed, out of their right mind, and carry on in a dream like state or unable to remember what was going on. You don't take ambien with plans to stay awake and cook, or forget your day. That is abusing it. In that case, if you had killed someone, that would be a legal issue. If you had taken it as intended and still had a problem, that is a different story totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events