Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 03:35 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,371,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
How about a little more personal responsibility on the part of patients and their physicians. In some parts of the country, it's already difficult for patients with short term pain to get prescribed medication. On the western slope of Colorado, after a friend gave birth, she got one pain pill and she had to beg for it. They told her their community had too many addicts, so they didn't hand them out. I think the state of Ohio may be barking up the wrong tree, a marketing campaign wouldn't sway an intelligent physician's actions.
Thank you. I managed to hurt myself several times in my life. Electrocution which left me with second and third degree burns on my hands and ruptured thoracic vertebrae just below where my neck meets my shoulders. I was subject to ear infections for years through my 30s and I fell off an excavator and broke my arse just a couple of years ago. That was the worst pain I ever felt, it was like getting kicked in the nuts every time I tried to sit up.

I ALWAYS refused any ppks. No way in hell was I going to go down that road considering what has happened to some people I know. Maybe I'm different. When I landed on my butt the paras came I refused to let them touch me. My helper at that time said I threatened to "kick all their asses" if they touched me. I still get crap from the guys about it considering it was 30 minutes before I forced myself to get up and stagger to the truck. I don't know the psychology of pain other than it hurts like hell and I deal with it using anger and a get tough about it attitude. My daughters say I have masochistic tendencies because of this sometimes but I just think I'm scared as hell of becoming a slave to a chemical. Everybody always tried to get me to take something and all I ever would take was over the shelf meds. Tylenol will take the edge off anything it seems for me at least. It doesn't make the pain go away.

I think there is abuse of the system. I think people need to toughen up a little too but I'm not so willing to judge someone who had a heart operation or cancer as I have not experienced that yet. When it comes to small things we should all just tough it out a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 04:04 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,655,511 times
Pharmaceutical reps don't give out samples of opioids.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:27 PM

10,193 posts, read 6,253,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
How about a little more personal responsibility on the part of patients and their physicians. In some parts of the country, it's already difficult for patients with short term pain to get prescribed medication. On the western slope of Colorado, after a friend gave birth, she got one pain pill and she had to beg for it. They told her their community had too many addicts, so they didn't hand them out. I think the state of Ohio may be barking up the wrong tree, a marketing campaign wouldn't sway an intelligent physician's actions.
Excuse me? Ever hear of something called Natural Childbirth? Today medicine wants 3 hours of labor, or they will induce it, and wimpy women cannot deal with the pain of a childbirth. Cannot have mothers, or medical people, dealing with pain and hours of labor.

I was in labor with my first daughter, who was a naturally delivered breach birth, 24 hours. My second daughter with labor 33 hours. Today? Oh, cannot take the PAIN. Put me OUT. If you don't like NATURAL Childbirth Labor Pains, then don't have children. Adopt.

I happen to think some of you younger generation, my Millennial daughter (the 33 hour labor) not included, are INSANE. She delivered an almost 10 lb. baby without drugs at 5'4" and 110 lbs. pre-pregnancy weight. Did it HURT? Of course. Have you ever heard of Lamaze breathing? It works.

Last edited by Jo48; 06-01-2017 at 04:35 PM..

Old 06-01-2017, 04:39 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,811,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Oh, I definitely agree with your last paragraph because I have seen it. How long should a patient be taking Oxycotin after back surgery or hip replacement? 10 days? 2 weeks? 2 months? 2 years? Elderly people are getting addicted after these surgeries, and the doctors are enabling this because they cannot see a person "in pain", or check to see that maybe something went WRONG with the surgery?

My husband's former boss got addicted after back surgery. When the original doctor, after months, refused to give him any more scripts, he found another willing doctor. He lost his job, and ended up on the streets getting his drugs from dealers. He is in his 50's.

My husband had hip replacement surgery. 10 days of Oxycotin. Doctor asked if he was still in pain. Here is another 10 day script. He would nod out all the time. Driving to work? DANGEROUS. Repeating the history of his former boss? I told him bluntly that he was becoming an addict, just like his boss. That was enough to scare him. After only approximately 2 WEEKS on it, he went through withdrawal; sweats, shaking, vomiting. Instead of asking for MORE medication, he switched doctors. He was in pain because his hip replacement FAILED, and had to be replaced. The other doctor looked for the CAUSE of the pain, not masking the symptoms of the pain. When he was given medication for the 2nd surgery, he told the new doctor, "Do not give me any of that Oxycotin crap". My husband was in his 60's during this.

Yes, even Dentists push pain pills. I have had numerous dental surgeries going back to my childhood. I know what my pain level is with them. Few years go I needed two teeth and a cyst removed, which I've had once before. Dentist gave me some pain script. I told him I didn't need it. Take it you WILL need it. I left without it. His Receptionist followed me to my car with the script in hand. Doctor SAYS you will NEED this. I told her too that I didn't need it or want it. She started ARGUING with me in the parking lot. You want to talk about PUSHING Pain Pills when the Patients doesn't even want them????? Please don't attempt to tell me doctors themselves don't push pain meds. After years of experience I know a couple of Tylenol works fine with me.

It has changed over decades. When I was in the hospital 30 years ago for surgery for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy and massive internal bleeding, I was only given narcotics for the first 24 hours after surgery. After that it was only Tylenol in the hospital, and definitely no Pain Meds when I went home. Today that would have warranted narcotics for weeks.

A crackdown on this is definitely in order.

Thank you! Yes I know a guy who lost a leg in a motorcycle accident, who has been getting Oxycotin for years! His dope-pushing doctor should be locked up and his license revoked!

Overdosed America: The Broken Promise of American Medicine by John Abramson
https://www.amazon.com/Overdosed-Ame...rican+medicine
Selling Sickness: How the World's Biggest Pharmaceutical Companies Are Turning Us All Into Patients by Ray Moynihan
https://www.amazon.com/Selling-Sickn...496Y9VH29MN4KY

http://www.whatthefolly.com/2015/02/...et-to-doctors/

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 06-01-2017 at 04:49 PM..

Old 06-01-2017, 04:47 PM

15,477 posts, read 10,402,990 times
Quote:
Excuse me? Ever hear of something called Natural Childbirth? Today medicine wants 3 hours of labor, or they will induce it, and wimpy women cannot deal with the pain of a childbirth. Cannot have mothers, or medical people, dealing with pain and hours of labor.

I was in labor with my first daughter, who was a naturally delivered breach birth, 24 hours. My second daughter with labor 33 hours. Today? Oh, cannot take the PAIN. Put me OUT. If you don't like NATURAL Childbirth Labor Pains, then don't have children. Adopt.

I happen to think some of you younger generation, my Millennial daughter (the 33 hour labor) not included, are INSANE. She delivered an almost 10 lb. baby without drugs at 5'4" and 110 lbs. pre-pregnancy weight. Did it HURT? Of course. Have you ever heard of Lamaze breathing? It works.

Sorry, I don't think ONE pain pill is too much to ask for AFTER a difficult birth. Do you know the person I was talking about? I don't think so. Tylenol worked great after that, btw.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:52 PM

15,477 posts, read 10,402,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Thank you. I managed to hurt myself several times in my life. Electrocution which left me with second and third degree burns on my hands and ruptured thoracic vertebrae just below where my neck meets my shoulders. I was subject to ear infections for years through my 30s and I fell off an excavator and broke my arse just a couple of years ago. That was the worst pain I ever felt, it was like getting kicked in the nuts every time I tried to sit up.

I ALWAYS refused any ppks. No way in hell was I going to go down that road considering what has happened to some people I know. Maybe I'm different. When I landed on my butt the paras came I refused to let them touch me. My helper at that time said I threatened to "kick all their asses" if they touched me. I still get crap from the guys about it considering it was 30 minutes before I forced myself to get up and stagger to the truck. I don't know the psychology of pain other than it hurts like hell and I deal with it using anger and a get tough about it attitude. My daughters say I have masochistic tendencies because of this sometimes but I just think I'm scared as hell of becoming a slave to a chemical. Everybody always tried to get me to take something and all I ever would take was over the shelf meds. Tylenol will take the edge off anything it seems for me at least. It doesn't make the pain go away.

I think there is abuse of the system. I think people need to toughen up a little too but I'm not so willing to judge someone who had a heart operation or cancer as I have not experienced that yet. When it comes to small things we should all just tough it out a little more.
You sound like my husband. He fell off a roof and they had to reconstruct his foot. They inserted a pain pump which he made them remove after 24 hours. He just took Tylenol too.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:40 PM

3,746 posts, read 4,061,430 times
Why does everyone in this thread, and probably everyone in Ohio, think that people become addicted to opiates only through a doctor's prescription? I would really like to know the actual percentage of people who became addicted through doctor's prescriptions and the percentage who became addicted while experimenting with drugs in a social or anti-social situation.

To me, this lawsuit is just another way of pushing the blame on someone/something else while ignoring the real problems of people becoming addicted through drug abuse.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:13 PM

389 posts, read 327,895 times
In the early days didn't the maker of oxycontin claim it wasn't really addictive because of its slow timed release mechanism? Then people who were on it long term for pain found they were indeed addicted. I saw that in one of the documentaries on the opioid crisis.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:11 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,967,396 times
Quote:
Oh, I definitely agree with your last paragraph because I have seen it. How long should a patient be taking Oxycotin after back surgery or hip replacement? 10 days? 2 weeks? 2 months? 2 years? Elderly people are getting addicted after these surgeries, and the doctors are enabling this because they cannot see a person "in pain", or check to see that maybe something went WRONG with the surgery?

My husband's former boss got addicted after back surgery. When the original doctor, after months, refused to give him any more scripts, he found another willing doctor. He lost his job, and ended up on the streets getting his drugs from dealers. He is in his 50's.

My husband had hip replacement surgery. 10 days of Oxycotin. Doctor asked if he was still in pain. Here is another 10 day script. He would nod out all the time. Driving to work? DANGEROUS. Repeating the history of his former boss? I told him bluntly that he was becoming an addict, just like his boss. That was enough to scare him. After only approximately 2 WEEKS on it, he went through withdrawal; sweats, shaking, vomiting. Instead of asking for MORE medication, he switched doctors. He was in pain because his hip replacement FAILED, and had to be replaced. The other doctor looked for the CAUSE of the pain, not masking the symptoms of the pain. When he was given medication for the 2nd surgery, he told the new doctor, "Do not give me any of that Oxycotin crap". My husband was in his 60's during this.

Yes, even Dentists push pain pills. I have had numerous dental surgeries going back to my childhood. I know what my pain level is with them. Few years go I needed two teeth and a cyst removed, which I've had once before. Dentist gave me some pain script. I told him I didn't need it. Take it you WILL need it. I left without it. His Receptionist followed me to my car with the script in hand. Doctor SAYS you will NEED this. I told her too that I didn't need it or want it. She started ARGUING with me in the parking lot. You want to talk about PUSHING Pain Pills when the Patients doesn't even want them????? Please don't attempt to tell me doctors themselves don't push pain meds. After years of experience I know a couple of Tylenol works fine with me.

It has changed over decades. When I was in the hospital 30 years ago for surgery for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy and massive internal bleeding, I was only given narcotics for the first 24 hours after surgery. After that it was only Tylenol in the hospital, and definitely no Pain Meds when I went home. Today that would have warranted narcotics for weeks.

A crackdown on this is definitely in order.
for all of you tough guys and gals..... YAAAAY YOU!! You are so AWESOME and so TOUGH!!! But you do NOT speak for the majority of the population.....

As for me, I underwent hip replacement surgery on April 28, after 2 years of unrelenting pain. I just yesterday took my last 10 mg Percocet..... yes, 34 days on opioid pain relief..... but taking the prescribed medication at no more than the prescribed intervals made a HUGE difference in my mobility and my ability to complete my PT exercises.....

and wonder of wonders..... I am not feeling any withdrawals at all.... although I am markedly stiffer than I have been.....

Old 06-02-2017, 01:19 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,655,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
for all of you tough guys and gals..... YAAAAY YOU!! You are so AWESOME and so TOUGH!!! But you do NOT speak for the majority of the population.....

As for me, I underwent hip replacement surgery on April 28, after 2 years of unrelenting pain. I just yesterday took my last 10 mg Percocet..... yes, 34 days on opioid pain relief..... but taking the prescribed medication at no more than the prescribed intervals made a HUGE difference in my mobility and my ability to complete my PT exercises.....

and wonder of wonders..... I am not feeling any withdrawals at all.... although I am markedly stiffer than I have been.....
YES! This is how it should be for those of us who either can't or don't want to tough it out for no good reason! There is no medal given for a high pain tolerance and there is no good reason for people to suffer because other people choose to abuse pain medicines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events