Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2017, 09:23 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,925,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Some were long standing illicit relations. Some certainly drugged the woman involved. Men have been plying women with wine and song since time immemorial. Quaalude was purported to make them horney not unconscious. So the drug per se is not one that caused loss of control. Alcohol however can cause loss of control and sometimes consciousness.

You still seem to be driving that Cosbey did something outside of the social norms of the time. He was clearly a dirty old man in his later years but I don't know that was true earlier. Sweet young things pursuing careers make obvious offers to those who can help them past the gates .

It was forever thus...
Actually, I posted how much things were different when Cosby was younger ... rather than "outside of the social norms of the time".

The idea that women throw themselves sexually at men is ludicrous. It is a myth that is perpetuated around the world based on USA TV, but it isn't reality. Women usually have a motive, a plan, a scheme. They don't look at old men and think that by having sex with the old man, a career is made. It has always been a situation where old men prey on young women, and if young women won't comply, alcohol, quaaludes, other drugs may help achieve the dirty old man's sole objective. Women and men know that sex does not mean promises are real. I agree that men have been plying women for a long time, and neither believes anything other than what it is.

What's different in this case is the fact that the woman is a lesbian. She could have had sex with a woman to further her career, but not with a man ... never a man. That's where Cosby's story fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 09:24 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,288,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Blacks kill blacks daily , no big deal.. blacks don't say anything.

Blacks got their dead cops.. many of them , black and white. They went hunting to kill cops .. BLM shouted, what do we want? Dead Cops! When do we want them? Now! they are still shooting cops . Those thugs who got shot deserved it.. those who did not, the cops should go to jail!
Comeon... you cannot be that bigoted. A white guy went in and shot a whole mess of black people in a church for being black. You suggest that means all white folk want to go out and kill the Black Christians?

Berserk White Sanders supporter went off to shoot Republican Congressmen. You think that means all left wing voters are out to assassinate the Republicans in office?

You better hide...they may be coming for you. ..

Old 06-17-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Actually, I posted how much things were different when Cosby was younger ... rather than "outside of the social norms of the time".

The idea that women throw themselves sexually at men is ludicrous. It is a myth that is perpetuated around the world based on USA TV, but it isn't reality. Women usually have a motive, a plan, a scheme. They don't look at old men and think that by having sex with the old man, a career is made. It has always been a situation where old men prey on young women, and if young women won't comply, alcohol, quaaludes, other drugs may help achieve the dirty old man's sole objective. Women and men know that sex does not mean promises are real. I agree that men have been plying women for a long time, and neither believes anything other than what it is.

What's different in this case is the fact that the woman is a lesbian. She could have had sex with a woman to further her career, but not with a man ... never a man. That's where Cosby's story fails.
You following the Rave culture? Come to Las Vegas tonight or tommorrow. Couple of 100,000 people. Doubt you will find two that do not have a "suspect substance" in their blood. And the ones you do find clean will likely be cops of one sort or another. Welcome to the EDC.

You appear to have some strange notion that Lesbians can't screw. Who told you that? Some may not but lots go both ways. And many change their views over time.

My Assistant 25 years ago had a fine voice. She was in fact a Queen of Harmony...She thought that she may well have blown her career by not being willing to lay on the couch...I was not close enough to the entertainment industry to know if she was right or not but she was one smart cookie...and she felt it was possible.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:48 PM

720 posts, read 498,597 times
I think the hung jury proves this was a weak case from the beginning. I don't think it's worth it to retry him and to be honest, I think it's likely to blow up in the prosecutor's faces if they do.

In my opinion, this case should've never gone to trial to begin with. Cosby was promised by the former DA that he wouldn't be charged, and he sat for the deposition with these damaging admissions because the threat of prosecution had been taken off the table, and now this current DA who ran on a promise to try him for this case, decided to press charges because of what he said in that deposition.

That kind of bait and switch is fundamentally unfair, I don't care what you think of Cosby.

I think we have to be adults about this, swallow hard, and admit that there's no excuse for not reporting something like this unless you personally have something to hide. I'm not going to judge how someone reacts to a traumatic event, especially not in the moment or immediately after, but at a certain point, you have to own whatever choice you make. You can't sit on an accusation like this and then at some arbitrary point a year or two or ten or thirty later decide you have this newfound bravery and want to be forthcoming. If people don't automatically believe you, it's not that they don't have a moral issue with rape; it's that they have a moral issue with lying about it, and if you can't in any way prove your story, you can't expect that everybody will just believe you just out of social graces or political correctness.

It's amazing to me that so many people seem to not have given a passing thought to the notion that maybe Bill Cosby isn't actually guilty of something that he should be in jail for. I know a lot of people have made up their minds that he's a serial rapist who belongs in jail, but let's be clear: from day one, he's denied ever raping anyone or giving a woman drugs without her consent. I can't say if that's the truth, but I do know that's all he or anyone who's accused of doing the same thing could say. Combine that with the fact that it seems the only time these women seem to want to be forthcoming is when there's a possibility of a pay out. Even Constand went to a civil lawyer before she reported it to the police. And everybody knows what time it is when someone retains Gloria Allred as their lawyer.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
You following the Rave culture? Come to Las Vegas tonight or tommorrow. Couple of 100,000 people. Doubt you will find two that do not have a "suspect substance" in their blood. And the ones you do find clean will likely be cops of one sort or another. Welcome to the EDC.

You appear to have some strange notion that Lesbians can't screw. Who told you that? Some may not but lots go both ways. And many change their views over time.

My Assistant 25 years ago had a fine voice. She was in fact a Queen of Harmony...She thought that she may well have blown her career by not being willing to lay on the couch...I was not close enough to the entertainment industry to know if she was right or not but she was one smart cookie...and she felt it was possible.
Universities were notorious for "sleeping one's way to a grade or degree". I suppose it happened in industry too. When did that change - where industry and institutions wrote policy forbidding relationships between senior/mentor and junior positions?

No to Rave Culture other than as observer. Someone doped me on ecstasy one night ... sleepless, uninhibited ... not intentional, but insightful.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Universities were notorious for "sleeping one's way to a grade or degree". I suppose it happened in industry too. When did that change - where industry and institutions wrote policy forbidding relationships between senior/mentor and junior positions?

No to Rave Culture other than as observer. Someone doped me on ecstasy one night ... sleepless, uninhibited ... not intentional, but insightful.
Hey welcome aboard. I have hopes that with the new NV law I may again try MJ...last time was 40 years ago. Wife and I both loved it. At this point I want it to help me sleep...but a little high in the process will not be bad.

But back to the subject. Again I am no fan of Cosby. But it has been blown way out of the context. And if he was guilty of a crime the should have locked him up for a while. But that was over 10 years ago.

Sorry for all the ladies who feel mistreated. But that is what happens when you get inot compromising situations...get compromised...and then do not do anything about it. After a decade or more your compensation is to get to pout.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,334,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
That is interesting isn't it. Probably holds a lot of anger towards him. Not sure what actually happened, but why would someone visit him after the rape?
Don't know, but that weakened the case considerably. I personally, would never go visit or be around someone who had raped me. I don't know how she managed to do that.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Hey welcome aboard. I have hopes that with the new NV law I may again try MJ...last time was 40 years ago. Wife and I both loved it. At this point I want it to help me sleep...but a little high in the process will not be bad.

But back to the subject. Again I am no fan of Cosby. But it has been blown way out of the context. And if he was guilty of a crime the should have locked him up for a while. But that was over 10 years ago.

Sorry for all the ladies who feel mistreated. But that is what happens when you get inot compromising situations...get compromised...and then do not do anything about it. After a decade or more your compensation is to get to pout.
Thank you for that! We do what we have to do, but this is different because the victim did not choose to be drugged. She was given pills by a mentor and authority figure. Accepting and ingesting those pills does not constitute consent to sexual intercourse.

Roman Polanski is not in jail either.

It's not about compromise. One day it's okay to give your date drugs before sex, the next it's not. One day it's not okay for two men to have an*l sex, and the next there are international flags celebrating men having an*l sex. It's a confusing place.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:01 PM

720 posts, read 498,597 times
Quote:
Thank you for that! We do what we have to do, but this is different because the victim did not choose to be drugged. She was given pills by a mentor and authority figure. Accepting and ingesting those pills does not constitute consent to sexual intercourse.
She was 32 years old at the time. I don't care what she considered Cosby to be, if she didn't want to take pills, she didn't have to take pills. If she was touched inappropriately and without her consent, she should have gone to the police and reported it. But waiting a year, keeping in steady contact with him, getting with her mom to secretly record phone calls, going to a civil lawyer, and then not even being able to get the date of when the assault took place once she did get up the nerve to report it, doesn't seem totally above board.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:19 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,018,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Don't know, but that weakened the case considerably. I personally, would never go visit or be around someone who had raped me. I don't know how she managed to do that.

You don't seem to understand the difference between violent stranger in a back alley rape and so-called date rape.

Quote:
Roman Polanski is not in jail either.
Only because he fled to a non-extraditing country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events