Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 04:30 PM

783 posts, read 571,223 times

Advertisements

Reason 2,456 why I would never let my kids set foot in a public school in NYC. It just doesn't seem like there is anyone in that system, from the Mayor own down, who has good judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 04:40 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,888,472 times
Well, while I think it was inappropriate for inclusion in a student talent show, I must say that it didn't sound like everyone attending thought it was objectionable. Some in the audience sounded like they were at a Chippendale revue. One lady returned to her seat halfway through the performance, apparently hoping not to miss anything.

I know Parent/Teacher groups have various events for which tickets are sold to raise money for the organization but there is a line and Mr. Quinones crossed it.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:19 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,260,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
If I had been there with my kid. I would have calmly stood up, taken my kid out of the room, then called the cops and reported a crime. This is what I would call indecency involving a minor. I think that's a crime that involves jail time and registering as a sex offender.

I don't care that he's a drag queen. I'm all for that, but not in front of my kids, and in school no less...

Lawsuits to follow.
Nonsense. Nothing wrong here. Nothing to see. I hate prudes.

By the way, I doubt you would do anything calmly, except stay after the show to ask for the performer's phone number.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:51 AM

15,432 posts, read 10,354,303 times
I do believe they have lost their minds.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:26 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,485,313 times
No, not appropriate at ALL. High school level, yes, but not elementary grades.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:42 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,084,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
....What I find above and beyond disturbing is that this individual is the PRESIDENT OF THE PTA. He knew exactly what he was doing and also knew the school principal. His act was DELIBERATE as was the principal's allowance of it.
I find this fact more of a show-stopper than the performance itself. I would imagine that the children were probably baffled more than anything else, while their parents - having more savvy of the world and its ways - were the outraged ones. Kids will forget this in a few days, the adults will hold onto it for weeks and months because it keeps their juices flowing hot....but in a righteous cause of course.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:52 AM

736 posts, read 452,162 times
hey, he promised them a surprise and that's just what they got!

Old 06-10-2017, 07:40 AM

7,102 posts, read 5,925,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Nonsense. Nothing wrong here. Nothing to see. I hate prudes.

By the way, I doubt you would do anything calmly, except stay after the show to ask for the performer's phone number.
Actually, I worked in a gay bar for years, have many drag queen friends, and never been accused of being a "prude". I am a member of PFLAG, and I felt that in a school setting, this was highly inappropriate.

The only phone number I'd ask for is the local law enforcement agency's.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:00 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,303,336 times
It's a ... travesty!

Old 06-10-2017, 09:32 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,855,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
If I had been there with my kid. I would have calmly stood up, taken my kid out of the room, then called the cops and reported a crime. This is what I would call indecency involving a minor. I think that's a crime that involves jail time and registering as a sex offender.

I don't care that he's a drag queen. I'm all for that, but not in front of my kids, and in school no less...

Lawsuits to follow.
And you would be wrong. The police would take a report, tell you they would investigate, and that would be the end of it. The dancer didn't touch any child, did not remove his clothes or perform any sexual acts, and did not coerce a child into performing any sexual acts. There is no crime here. Was the dance sexually suggestive? Yes, it was mildly sexually suggestive and it was in tremendously poor taste. But it still doesn't constitute a crime. The school and the dancer ought to be castigated. Any lawsuits would probably fail. Why? Because there are two parts to a lawsuit:

1. Did the defendant harm the plaintiff(s)? Yes/no.

2. If yes, what are the monetary/emotional damages the plaintiff(s) suffered?

#1 would be very hard or impossible to prove, much less #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events