Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:18 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times

Advertisements

And in NYC elementary school education news:

Morales said about 200 families at the evening talent show took in student art and writing exhibits from schools across the district, including Public School 83, River East Elementary School and PS 96.

The parents sat through endearing performances by children who took the stage and played the piano and drums and sang for the student performance portion of the event, which District 4 Superintendent Alexandra Estrella emceed.

Then, parents said, Estrella introduced the final act of the night, billed on the event flyer as a “Special Surprise Performance!”

The "performance" subsequently has been described as "a grown man took the stage in a black, sequined dress and flaming red wig and performed a raunchy drag number where he grinded the stage and spread his legs."

I'll add he was wearing a thong and a see-through mini dress.

Now ask: WHY was this adult-level performance scheduled during a celebration of kids art and music accomplishments? And why were parents deliberately not told about it?

Parents horrified after man performs drag show at NYC school - NY Daily News

Here's a video. Watch all the way through and ask yourself if this is appropriate for an elementary school audience of kids as young as 5 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mdO8O1KEb4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 09:33 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
If I had been there with my kid. I would have calmly stood up, taken my kid out of the room, then called the cops and reported a crime. This is what I would call indecency involving a minor. I think that's a crime that involves jail time and registering as a sex offender.

I don't care that he's a drag queen. I'm all for that, but not in front of my kids, and in school no less...

Lawsuits to follow.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:39 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
No. Not appropriate for elementary school students. What were they thinking?

Old 06-09-2017, 01:13 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
It isn't the drag part, it's the type of dancing. Gross. Not child appropriate...and not something someone should be forced to see without knowing what they were signing up. I feel really uncomfortable around raunchy dancing.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:36 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,390 times
um, wow! this is completely inappropriate for an elementary school! whose idea was this and who let it get to the stage? i would be steaming! hopping mad!

Old 06-09-2017, 01:40 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,865 times
It is strange how often those who do not want to be stereotyped insist on engaging in stereotypical behaviors.
I wonder what part of the School's budget goes towards such "Special Surprise Performances".

Old 06-09-2017, 02:49 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
It was later found out that the drag queen was actually the principal and this was his big coming out moment..........

just kiddin

NOT appropriate.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:58 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Not appropriate for young children, but then NYC had pix in all the newspapers/TV of then Mayor Rudy in Drag as Marilyn Monroe. Cannot totally shield young children especially in a major city like NY.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:03 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It isn't the drag part, it's the type of dancing. Gross. Not child appropriate...and not something someone should be forced to see without knowing what they were signing up. I feel really uncomfortable around raunchy dancing.
Exactly. It could have been a cisgender woman and it still would have been inappropriate.

Drag Queens aren't inherently inappropriate or raunchy. There is a group here that does regular "Drag Bingo" nights as a fundraiser, and it's a very family-friendly event. (And it's a ton of fun!)

Old 06-09-2017, 03:07 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
It looks like the school is taking "action."

Education Department spokesman Michael Aciman called the performance “inappropriate.”

“The content of the performance was inappropriate, and a school administrator has spoken with the parent,” the department said in a statement. “Mr. Quinones has served the maximum number of terms permitted as PTA president, and the school will host an election later this month to select a new president. The superintendent will continue to meet with parents and review the process for vetting performances at district events.”

Parents horrified after PTA president performs drag show at grade school talent show - Washington Times

What I find above and beyond disturbing is that this individual is the PRESIDENT OF THE PTA. He knew exactly what he was doing and also knew the school principal. His act was DELIBERATE as was the principal's allowance of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events