Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 08:51 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Fully agree, but a lot of it can be tied to the increasing percentage of young men raised primarily in single-parent, predominately female-headed households; once Helicopter-Mom is no longer around, a young man is more likely to fall prey to the snares and temptations which are less likely to take hold in the presence of a mature male figure.
Not relevant to this situation. Otto Warmbier was blessed with two loving and involved parents.

I am not sure your theory holds water - dysfunctional youth can come from many different situations, although of course having two loving and responsible parents is ideal and most likely to produce the best outcome. However, in the absence of one parent or the other, a strong, loving, and responsible remaining parent may still do just fine in rearing strong, loving, and responsible children.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:59 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
There was a piece on NPR this morning (transcript should be up later: Otto Warmbier, American Recently Released By North Korea, Dies At 22 : NPR) where Otto's mother said that he was a good student and a responsible kid, so when he said that he wanted to visit North Korea as part of a larger trip to Asia they were worried, but that they trusted him to make responsible choices and do his research as he always had.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:01 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker-yanker View Post
Did his parents pull the plug to set him free?
There was never an indication that he was on life support. Therefore no reason to speculate if anyone decided to pull any plug. I doubt his parents would have given up hope within just a week of getting him back!

Old 06-20-2017, 09:01 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Fully agree, but a lot of it can be tied to the increasing percentage of young men raised primarily in single-parent, predominately female-headed households; once Helicopter-Mom is no longer around, a young man is more likely to fall prey to the snares and temptations which are less likely to take hold in the presence of a mature male figure.
In this case this was not the case.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:08 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
...Otto's mother said that he was a good student and a responsible kid, so when he said that he wanted to visit North Korea as part of a larger trip to Asia they were worried, but that they trusted him to make responsible choices and do his research as he always had.
That's terribly sad. I can't imagine the guilt his parents must be feeling now.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:01 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's terribly sad. I can't imagine the guilt his parents must be feeling now.
I feel so bad for his family and hope this incident stops others from going to NK.

What upsets me a little is his family blaming others outside of NK for what happened.
No one should go to NK.
Period.
There's a fatpigchild running things over there who kills his own family members for simply disagreeing with him.
If you chose to go over there and something happens - there is no one to blame but yourself.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:05 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
There was never an indication that he was on life support. Therefore no reason to speculate if anyone decided to pull any plug. I doubt his parents would have given up hope within just a week of getting him back!
I read he might possibly have died due to a blood clot which could have been caused by the long flight back to the USA from NK and in his condition could have been fatal.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:16 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,283 times
We should NOT go to war over one death

However...carpet bombing the crap out of a countries military and political assests is not necessarily "going to war"

Old 06-20-2017, 10:23 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
What this fool did is the equivalent of joining a street gang.....just something you don't do even if you have the means. Being 22 is old enough to know better.

His parents have nerve throwing guilt around. if I'm not mistaken they funded this trip.

It's kind of sad, but idiots die everyday. He just died on a national stage.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:01 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
We should NOT go to war over one death

However...carpet bombing the crap out of a countries military and political assests is not necessarily "going to war"
Well even though this incident might have been an accident - I do not think that North Koreans on purpose intended to kill Otto - are you going to bomb the US too after every wrongful conviction which may result in a death penalty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events