Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:21 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I think this move was to help prop up Amazon's grocery delivery service which seemed to be floundering. Buying a grocery chain, they now have resources and storage for quick food delivery.
If this is the case then why not buy a ailing chain like Southeastern Grocers? I'm not quite sure how this deal makes sense. A search / fulfillment engine goes brick and mortal, in retail at that. Everyone knows retail, as we currently experience it, is in a death spiral <sarcasm>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 05:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Gee, Amazon has gotten so amazonian.

Maybe we can use Amazon gift cards at Whole Foods!

About ten years ago, I said to a friend that "Google is the new Ubik."

As of yesterday, Amazon is the new Ubik.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
With Amazon owning whole foods and Wally-Mart owning half foods, we're covered, folks.
. . .

Old 06-17-2017, 06:25 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Unless the prices are 30% less I won't shop at w f . Too expensive.

You get what you pay for Wal-Mart sells crap food, sure they some organic foods but in the end they sell junk all the way.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
If this is the case then why not buy a ailing chain like Southeastern Grocers? I'm not quite sure how this deal makes sense. A search / fulfillment engine goes brick and mortal, in retail at that. Everyone knows retail, as we currently experience it, is in a death spiral <sarcasm>
Because Amazon is looking for a national footprint, preferably in areas that have less price conscious shoppers. WF has already established its footprint in these areas Amazon wants to target, the supply chain and everything is in place, it basically is a turn-key operation Amazon bought.

Southeastern Grocers is in the SE only, WF is nationwide.

Retail is not in a death spiral, retail stores are, and there have been way too many for a while; a very predictable contracting of retail space. Amazon wants to get into the grocery business, but it needs a supply chain and physical stores to do this, WF was the key to doing it. It was a brilliant maneuver by Amazon.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Check if InstaCart is in your area. That is who is doing Whole Foods delivery in my area. They probably do offer delivery in your area. Are you signed up for emails and have the app on your phone? WF sent me an email a week ago for $15 off my first delivery purchase of $35 or more plus free delivery.
Thanks, I'm not set up for their emails, but my friend is and got the letter re: amazon purchase, maybe I'll sign up and see if delivery is in my area. I use a couple other stores now and a friend shops at WF for me as I'm not driving now.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:07 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,522,480 times
I am not a fan of Amazon or anything of the likes.

Online ordering is closing stores and taking away jobs.
And taking away human interactions.

I like to go to the store to see what I am buying.
Choice in person is getting less and less.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:41 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
Not too long ago I received an Amazon gift card. I detest Amazon. So I used the Amazon gift card to purchase a Whole Foods gift card of the same value
Why, if I may ask?

Old 06-17-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
You get what you pay for Wal-Mart sells crap food, sure they some organic foods but in the end they sell junk all the way.
I wish more people understood that. Both entities serve a purpose though.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Because Amazon is looking for a national footprint, preferably in areas that have less price conscious shoppers. WF has already established its footprint in these areas Amazon wants to target, the supply chain and everything is in place, it basically is a turn-key operation Amazon bought.

Southeastern Grocers is in the SE only, WF is nationwide.

Retail is not in a death spiral, retail stores are, and there have been way too many for a while; a very predictable contracting of retail space. Amazon wants to get into the grocery business, but it needs a supply chain and physical stores to do this, WF was the key to doing it. It was a brilliant maneuver by Amazon.
This^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events