Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 09:54 AM

322 posts, read 286,242 times

Advertisements

I'm on high alert nowadays whenever I'm parked somewhere. I hope I never have to see any children left in a hot car, but alas as these cases have shown it does happen.

My heart breaks for these children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 09:59 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Every year this starts happening around this time. It's so sad. It's only a matter of time before all new cars have some sort of sensor similar to how all new cars have backup cameras now.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:02 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Not to mention pets left in hot cars, too. This issue gets lots of publicity every summer. What is wrong with people that they keep doing this?
I just had a conversation with a friend about this. She's going on a road trip and taking her dog, and isn't sure how to handle her bathroom stops--she can't take the dog into the rest stop with her, but she can't not pee, and many newer cars don't allow the doors to lock while the car is running.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I just had a conversation with a friend about this. She's going on a road trip and taking her dog, and isn't sure how to handle her bathroom stops--she can't take the dog into the rest stop with her, but she can't not pee, and many newer cars don't allow the doors to lock while the car is running.
Perhaps she could rent a car for the road trip, and make sure it is a car with remote start.

Hypothetically, she could park the car, turn off the engine, exit the car leaving the dog inside, then use the remote start button on the key fob to start the engine. This would also turn on the A/C.

At least on my car, the engine would turn itself off after several minutes of having been "remote started" without someone entering the car and pressing the start button. But this several minutes would be good enough for a quick bio break.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Such deaths are so sad. So terribly sad.

Surely technology could help. Imagine a set of sensors that could determine an adult has left the car, the engine has turned off, and there is an infant crying or waving its arms, or a dog barking or moving around.... and it sets off the car's alarm system.
Stuff like this is why an economy car will eventually cost 40K.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:53 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I take my pup in with me when we travel and I am by myself. I won't leave him in a car and it is illegal to leave an unoccupied car running in my state.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:07 AM

776 posts, read 955,681 times
Or how about this........

Mummy puts her purse in the back seat .?

No woman that I know of can go more than 10 feet away from her purse. Ever.

Need purse, see child in back seat, remove both......

A second stupidity that happens " all the time ".

I just went into the store for a minute.......and car thief takes car with kid in it ..... due to keys left in ignition switch.

Here in Ontario.....car stolen with keys in it ?Car insurance coverage will be denied , and Police MAY issue an offence notice.

Jim B.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 AM

102,206 posts, read 107,859,557 times
How would a 2-year-old be able to get out of a locked car? Even if the keys were in the car, like she said, how would a 2-year-old figure out how that worked? Would a 2-year old even be able to push a car door open?

Old 06-26-2017, 11:16 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
It was a deliberate act, so doesn't count towards those who unintentionally leave kids behind in cars.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Its just...so strange that a mother could just go inside and get high then nap for several hours with her kids in the car like that. Even if she thought they could get out when they wanted. When my kids were 1 and 2, biology had taken over my brain and I couldn't have done that even if I tried.

I wonder if she was using the car as a place to keep the babies while she got high...so they didn't bother her.

I don't know why I am trying to make sense of it. I hope she stays in prison until she has gone through menopause so she cant torture her child again.
She's a monster. There is already a thread on this. The article attached showed she changed her story several times. She had no remorse. This was on purpose.

Due a little critical thinking, if you want to get high than lock them in the house in a bedroom. She wanted them gone, she isn't human.

This is another Susan Smith.

Stays in prison till menopause. She needs the death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events