Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 02:37 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Anonymous is a collective of hackers that have done some interesting things in the past. They generally (in my opinion) tell the truth with these sort of things...

This has had a lot of chatter around the web, and is starting to have teeth. What do you guys think?

Anonymous claims NASA on verge of announcing alien life | Daily Mail Online

Hope they bring some cures of diseases, that would be awesome!
They will put us on leashes and parade around with us as exotic pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 02:56 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,956,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I'm pretty sure that within the next decade or so, a NASA probe will discover microscopic evidence of life beyond earth. Not so dramatic as a picture of a little green man waving back at us, or a Vogon demolition fleet on their way to make room for the new intergalactic highway bypass.
What will this do to religious institutions here on Earth? Besides religion, what other fields will be effected by the gathering of such evidence?

Old 06-27-2017, 03:07 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,517,333 times
Quote:
What will this do to religious institutions here on Earth? Besides religion, what other fields will be effected by the gathering of such evidence?
Same argument as for evolution vs. intelligent design, if they want to ignore science they will, or integrate it into the grand theory of their beliefs. At the least, it will confirm that God's design has always been greater than the sum of our history on this rock.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:04 PM

19,651 posts, read 9,192,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Unless ET lands at the Washington Memorial no one will believe it. And even then...

Anyway, I don't know if that would be a great idea, an advanced civilization showing up. Look how well it worked out for the American Indians.
I think "advanced" to describe those who drove the natives away from their land is at least partly a matter of opinion.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:36 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,956,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Same argument as for evolution vs. intelligent design, if they want to ignore science they will, or integrate it into the grand theory of their beliefs. At the least, it will confirm that God's design has always been greater than the sum of our history on this rock.
I feel the more that Science is interjected into religion, the further we part ways from God and the faith that keeps religion together like glue.

Steven King's theory on God has always been my favorite.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:06 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,517,333 times
Quote:
I feel the more that Science is interjected into religion, the further we part ways from God and the faith that keeps religion together like glue.

Steven King's theory on God has always been my favorite.
But it doesn't have to be that way, it could be a time of enlightenment and a more spiritual experience. It releases the bonds that hold them to the traditional belief that we are all there is. It is the same as it has always been, where science can offer no more, all that remains is faith. God will go from a sentient being, to a metaphysical concept. Do I believe in a supreme being, God? I am at best agnostic, as any good scientist could be.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:33 PM

29,474 posts, read 22,487,125 times
Sorry CD kiddies and script kiddies

https://www.space.com/37312-nasa-ali...ous-video.html

Quote:
NASA is not preparing to drop an alien-life bombshell, despite what you may have heard.

"Contrary to some reports, there's no pending announcement from NASA regarding extraterrestrial life," Zurbuchen said via Twitter, where he posts as @Dr_ThomasZ.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:38 PM

9,316 posts, read 16,624,483 times
If there is life on other planets and they are able to view our world, they obviously are a lot smarter than we are as they avoid this world because they probably think we are idiots.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:17 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,912,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
To [admit to finding alien life] would undermine every government, religion, and every other powerful entity on earth.
I don't understand this. Why would it undermine anything? Ok, maybe religion, but...

Old 06-27-2017, 07:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,138,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
If there is life on other planets and they are able to view our world, they obviously are a lot smarter than we are as they avoid this world because they probably think we are idiots.
Not necessarily. There is a big difference between technology and intelligence. Obviously, there has to be some degree of intelligence in order to create technology. Dogs are never going to manufacture computers and cell phones for as long as they are dogs. But if you have the ability to reason, have a written language (allows generations to build from previous knowledge), and have the drive to improve then technological advancements will happen.

Biologically, man is no more innately intelligent than he was 10,000 years ago yet look at the difference in technology. We couldn't make metal objects then and we can travel in space today. Man will be no more innately intelligent 10,000 years from now but (assuming we aren't extincted by ourselves or nature) imagine where we might be technologically. In fact, some studies show that we are becoming less intelligent as the evolutionary need has decreased.

We are talking about vastly different timeframes of development. Advanced intelligence takes millions of years to develop through evolution. Advanced technology takes thousands of years. A less intelligent species (but intelligent enough to develop technology) with a 10,000 year headstart would likely appear to be far superior to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events