Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 11:11 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times

Advertisements

I am a very creepy-looking single dude.....there is NO WAY I come within 10 feet of an unaccompanied little kid.

No, I am not a sex-offender, but I do my best to keep at least 10-feet distance from anyone who looks under 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 11:19 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I am a very creepy-looking single dude.....there is NO WAY I come within 10 feet of an unaccompanied little kid.

No, I am not a sex-offender, but I do my best to keep at least 10-feet distance from anyone who looks under 18.
The sad thing is that most children who are abducted are abducted by family or known people, and yet we as a society still cringe at a man who wants to sincerely help a kid.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:23 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
You have to be a very special type of stupid to try to abduct a child while hanging out with cops, specially when different race (you can't even try to lie about it).
I think the incident happened during weekend visitation and the father is trying hard to divert attention from the fact he was probably drinking hard, not taking care of his kid and would have driven the kid back probably above the legal limit. He screwed up and is trying to cover it. If I were the Good Samaritan I would press charges for assault and libel against him and his Facebook buddies
This. However, at the same time, it doesn't fit the "Samaritan's" alibi, that he was taking the child out to the parking lot. But it never would have happened if the dad had attended to his child, or arranged for the child to stay home in the first place.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. However, at the same time, it doesn't fit the "Samaritan's" alibi, that he was taking the child out to the parking lot. But it never would have happened if the dad had attended to his child, or arranged for the child to stay home in the first place.
According to the WashPo article in the OP, the only person who said anything about taking her to the parking lot was the child's father, who is not the most reliable narrator of this event. The police statement says that the "Samaritan" was walking around with her, toward the playground, looking for her family.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
According to the WashPo article in the OP, the only person who said anything about taking her to the parking lot was the child's father, who is not the most reliable narrator of this event. The police statement says that the "Samaritan" was walking around with her, toward the playground, looking for her family.
Thank you for clarifying this. This makes more sense.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:16 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
It's best to mind your own business in this world. This country isn't about altruism, it's about capitalism.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:17 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Where is the playground? Is the playground the same direction as the parking lot? Either way, it sounds like it was away from the people in the bleachers watching the game.

Just as I thought.
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0289.../data=!3m1!1e3

Playground is under the trees next to the bottom left of parking lot, well away from all 4 baseball diamonds. Why not take her to the concession building? In my experience, there are usually loudspeakers to make publi announcements.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:24 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Where is the playground? Is the playground the same direction as the parking lot? Either way, it sounds like it was away from the people in the bleachers watching the game.
So? If the Good Samaritan thought the child had wandered away from the playground (a reasonable assumption), it would make sense to head back in that direction to search for her parents. It doesn't imply nefarious motives.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
So? If the Good Samaritan thought the child had wandered away from the playground (a reasonable assumption), it would make sense to head back in that direction to search for her parents. It doesn't imply nefarious motives.
Exactly, it would be pretty normal to assume that a toddler wandered away from the playground and not the ball fields.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:45 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It isn't necessarily nefarious but it's also not very smart to take a small child away from the main hub of activity towards a wooded area next to the parking lot, especially when you clearly have not verified her parents aren't in the crowd and have not enlisted anyone else's help, especially when you have to pick up and carry the child because she does not want to hold your hand and walk with you. Maybe his next step was to put her in his car and drive around town looking for her parents?

Here's a rule of thumb - you don't ever "take" a lost child anywhere. If you cannot find her parents in the immediate vicinity, that is the time to enlist the help of nearby authorities and/or call the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events