Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:27 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Nasty, don't view pics before or after eating.

Wonder what kind of long term damage was done.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-for...151207569.html

Quote:
Avid runner Julie Nisbet from the UK (yes we’re talking about UK sunshine here) forgot to apply sunscreen before going on an ultramarathon, in which she ran 69 miles in 21 hours.

Beginning the mission at 7am, she only put SPF 30 all over her body once she reached her first pit stop at 10am.

And at her next pit stop 27 miles later, she could feel the backs of her legs burning, but just applied more sunscreen and carried on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 06:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
My sister got a terrible sun burn after going on a camping trip with a friend (their family was darker skinned so they rarely used sun screen). She ended up in the hospital for pain and fluids for a couple days. She didn't look anything like the photos...at all. And this was after 4 days in the sun

My great aunt had a severe allergic reaction to sunscreen. It didn't look exactly like the photos, but more like them then a life threatening sunburn...at least what I have seen.

This doesn't feel like accurate news. I would love a medical professional to weigh in.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:34 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Thanks for the warning, I can't bear to look.

The last time I went to the pharmacy to check out brands of sunscreen, I was advised by staff that it needed to be re-applied every hour. They said it only lasts 1 hr.

Also, some people think that if it's cloudy, you don't need it. Big mistake. Those UV rays go through the clouds.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My sister got a terrible sun burn after going on a camping trip with a friend (their family was darker skinned so they rarely used sun screen). She ended up in the hospital for pain and fluids for a couple days. She didn't look anything like the photos...at all. And this was after 4 days in the sun

My great aunt had a severe allergic reaction to sunscreen. It didn't look exactly like the photos, but more like them then a life threatening sunburn...at least what I have seen.

This doesn't feel like accurate news. I would love a medical professional to weigh in.
Interesting story. I remember going on a group hiking/camping trip for a week in my teens. No one used sunscreen, and no one got sunburned. But we were hiking in the woods, though at a high altitude. I guess we were shaded by the trees.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:37 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

You think those pictures were faked? Or that the sunscreen caused the blisters?

I am old enough to remember when the only available sunscreen was zinc oxide. The pictures are indeed what an exceptionally bad sunburn looks like.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:47 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Just her legs? Why not her face, neck and hands too? Can anyone explain that?

Old 06-29-2017, 08:14 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Just her legs? Why not her face, neck and hands too? Can anyone explain that?
Hat? Long sleeves?

Edited to add:

I think she also perhaps did not put sunscreen on the backs of her legs at all. If you look at the inside of the left calf in the photo from the post dated 6:09 PM - 20 Jun 2017, It looks like there is an area of unburned skin right next to the surface she is lying on. I would like to see what the fronts of her legs look like.

I once went to a baseball game. I applied sunscreen but managed to miss a tiny area on the front of one thigh. It was a triangle about the size of my little fingernail. Yup, it burned.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 06-29-2017 at 08:23 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 08:38 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
This lady is from the UK so the sunshine is not as consistent as Florida, etc. Also, she is extremely pale. If you are extremely pale then you need to lube up on the sunscreen. I am surprised that she was not a little tanner considering she is an avid marathon runner.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:45 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I have a red headed child with the white, white skin. If he sunburns, he blisters. I think this ladies blisters may have been partially due to the force of the running and the liquid being slung around inside the blister.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
This lady is from the UK so the sunshine is not as consistent as Florida, etc. Also, she is extremely pale. If you are extremely pale then you need to lube up on the sunscreen. I am surprised that she was not a little tanner considering she is an avid marathon runner.
Some complexions don't tan. They go straight to burn, or they freckle, then burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events