Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 02:56 PM

574 posts, read 382,697 times

Advertisements

Mehhhh..... Its a dog, nothing special and actually kindof disruptive to the performance to ones that wanted to see it, but nonetheless its neat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 03:17 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
Mehhhh..... Its a dog, nothing special and actually kindof disruptive to the performance to ones that wanted to see it, but nonetheless its neat
Sourpuss.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:40 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

Unfortunately, the dog in my life (not mine, but very close) who looked like that dog had something wrong with her hearing. But she was very, very, very sweet, and lived a long, happy, and otherwise healthy life.
Nice story but that dog looks downright ferocious. I assume it's a Golden Retriever, probably one of the world's most dangerous animals.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:15 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
The dog had chosen the nights best violinist!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:17 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post

Old 07-03-2017, 09:41 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
This ^^^^^ (the bolded).

I later read some of the other links from my search, and was sad to read about the homeless dog problem in Turkey. Directly related to the bolded above, after reading about the problem, my first thought was 'there has to be a dog lover of sufficient means in the audience' (not the orchestra, as I believe they were visiting from another country).
I saw a piece on a national news program about homeless dogs from Turkey being shipped to the US to be adopted. It said something about Golden Retrievers and similar breeds are somewhat of a status symbol in Turkey, but some people can't handle how big and enthusiastic the dogs get, so they just abandon them to the streets.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:44 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
My family members are in various orchestras, string quartets, etc. and we have had dogs who really appreciate orchestral music. Right now, we have a Cavapoo who sits in on every single violin, cello, string quartet practice. If the dog is outside, he will bark incessantly to come inside and then go lie quietly at the foot of the musician. It is quite obvious from his peaceful countenance that he is appreciating the beautiful sounds. BTW, our other dogs - terriers - have no interest in this. The Cavapoo is much smarter than the other dogs.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:20 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,398 times
Maybe he thought the Catgut strings were really cat-gut.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:35 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
I couldn't tell whether or not he had a tag in his ear, but the street dogs in Turkey are a delightful lot. They are rounded up, tagged, neutered and given their shots and then allowed to live on the streets where they give a heartfelt "Merhaba" and a friendly paw to the tourists. They're on the spot just in case you want to sit down, rest your feet and pet a dog for a few minutes. The shopkeepers put out food and water for them and some will even put a doghouse out on the sidewalk. A young entrepreneur has developed vending machines that you put your empty plastic bottles into and the machine dispenses water and dry dog food.

On another continent, the street dogs in Quito, Ecuador, tend to like to spend their days in the churches. Just about every smaller church I walked into had a dog resting in a corner or curled up under a pew.

A dog is pure goodness.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:50 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I couldn't tell whether or not he had a tag in his ear, but the street dogs in Turkey are a delightful lot. They are rounded up, tagged, neutered and given their shots and then allowed to live on the streets where they give a heartfelt "Merhaba" and a friendly paw to the tourists. They're on the spot just in case you want to sit down, rest your feet and pet a dog for a few minutes. The shopkeepers put out food and water for them and some will even put a doghouse out on the sidewalk. A young entrepreneur has developed vending machines that you put your empty plastic bottles into and the machine dispenses water and dry dog food.

On another continent, the street dogs in Quito, Ecuador, tend to like to spend their days in the churches. Just about every smaller church I walked into had a dog resting in a corner or curled up under a pew.

A dog is pure goodness.

Thanks, that makes me feel a little bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events