Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:29 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times

Advertisements

I didn't think there would be enough voltage...but guess I was wrong. Poor child. Rest in peace.

Quote:
Madison Coe's mother and grandmother tell us she was in the bathtub, and either plugged her phone in or simply grabbed her phone that was already plugged in. It happened at her father's house in Lovington, NM.

Texas teen electrocuted after cell phone incident in bathtub - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock
^Thinking there might have been an extension cord that was not mentioned also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 08:08 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Terribly sad. Tragic loss.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:21 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
My charger says 4.75v/.55A Not enough at the phone to kill. But if the charger with a 120v extension cord fell in the water, that would kill

Old 07-11-2017, 08:24 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Apparently she couldn't relax in a bathtub with only her thoughts to keep her company. Grab the phone and die. Do young kids not understand about water, electricity and extension cords? What a terrible waste.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
[quote=Railman96;48805925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Understandable they should have a phone. This is very sad, but a 14 year old should have been taught about electricity and water. It seems today many parents don't go over the basics, look both ways before you cross the street. I see kids(of course looking down at the phone), just step off the curb or cross the the entrance of a strip mall without looking to see if a car could be coming in or going out.

I see adults doing the same thing. What really irks me are the people who are so engaged in their phones that they aren't paying attention to where they're walking and almost bump into to me. I always give people who do that a mean mug, and if their phone gets knocked out of their hand because they bumped into me I'm definitely not apologizing let alone offering to pay to fix/replace it.

Cellphones have turned people into brain dead zombies.
I saw this again today. Two young women not together but crossing a busy intersection as the light was getting ready to change and cars waiting to turn right on red. Not even looking around, with all the crazy stuff going on with cars being driven into crowds or up on the sidewalk or possibly a drunk or reckless driver, how can you not be aware of your surroundings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Apparently she couldn't relax in a bathtub with only her thoughts to keep her company. Grab the phone and die. Do young kids not understand about water, electricity and extension cords? What a terrible waste.
It is a terrible waste. But I do wonder if she was ever taught that? Many kids today don't seem to know to look before crossing, lack basic manners, and seem to raise themselves. So it's possible she was never taught about the dangers of water and electricity.

Very sad and so avoidable. Very sad for the parents.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:44 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I read that the coroner found a burn mark on her hand that was consistent with electrocution. People get electrocuted all the time. Not sure why this one is questioned without reason.
Certainly the bath tub would be grounded, but where would the voltage and current come from to kill someone? I realize that it does not take much to generate a lethal shock. The cell phone charger delivers 5 volts which is not even enough to feel, much less kill, and certainly would not leave burn marks. Good chargers are isolated and the high side of the voltage would not pass through it. A bathroom should have GFI breakers that would prevent current flow anyway. Even dropping an extension cord into the tub would simply trip an ordinary breaker, not kill the bather.
There is some work for the coroner to do here. I suspect some other electrical equipment might be involved.

I'm ready for bed, so I'm not going to delve any deeper into your claim, but as a first pass search, accidental death by electrocution in the home is rare. Most deaths are industrial or contact with distribution lines. looks like 81 industrial deaths in 2015.
"I am not a lineman for the county"

Old 07-11-2017, 09:03 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
I don't know the ins and outs of cellphone electrocution, but can't people do anything without their darn phone? Back in my day, we read books in the bathtub.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Is it bad that I want to see a Youtube video of the actual incident?

Old 07-11-2017, 09:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
This link should explain how and why she died.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tex...s-electricity/

Quote:
This problem is especially dangerous if the victim contacts an energized conductor with his or her hands. The forearm muscles responsible for bending fingers tend to be better developed than those muscles responsible for extending fingers, and so if both sets of muscles try to contract because of an electric current conducted through the person’s arm, the “bending” muscles will win, clenching the fingers into a fist. If the conductor delivering current to the victim faces the palm of his or her hand, this clenching action will force the hand to grasp the wire firmly, thus worsening the situation by securing excellent contact with the wire. The victim will be completely unable to let go of the wire

Old 07-11-2017, 09:30 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
If the charger was plugged in to 120 VAC, I can think of several ways for unintended current to flow from the outlet through the charger to the phone. My first thought was a miswired outlet. The outlet should have been a GFCI which may have prevented the tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events