Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 07:09 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Part of me wants to applaud her. Part of me wants to say, "A $30,000 wedding? Are you crazy?"
I agree, average weddings these days is probably around that range though.

To each their own but I find such things not my style at all. Give me a simple wedding.

As for the lady in the OP, good for her. Apparently the reception was non refundable, so she made the best of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 07:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Very kind of her...I hope it is healing.

I do have to wonder...how many people go through with a wedding because of how much money they put into it. 30K isn't actually a lot for a wedding (but it is a lot of money, don't get me wrong). I don't like big expensive weddings. Mine was very low key and didn't cost much. But...like if you are the bride and your dad spent 75K on it...would that impact your feelings about canceling it?
Unless dad is a multimillionaire no one should be spending this kind of money on a wedding. It's very foolish.

Too many today maybe because of these reality bridal shows think they're entitled to a big expensive wedding.

While this young woman did a very nice gesture, she apparently is a pharmacy student who earned this money on her own. Again not too smart for ecomonic reasons.

She will have student loans and the average salary for a new pharmacist is around 100K a year, a good salary but she just blew almost 1/3 of what her yearly salary will be. And this wasn't the total cost, probably 50K when you factor in the dress, and all the other expenses.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 709 times
I think it was nice. It probably made their whole year they wouldn't have gotten all of the money back anyway and so much would have went to waste. Props girl. I don't struggle for money but I would never spend that much on a reception while people are starving. There are people like us that actually think about that stuff.
TIP: When planning a wedding, keep the word WEDDING out. Use PARTY instead. Prices will drop thousands. Crazy right! My first wedding was awesome and we spent $8,000 and I made my beautiful dress. Don't get me wrong, having a lavish wedding doesn't make you horrible, being horrible makes you horrible.
But if you can save cash and have an awesome honeymoon, AND set your life up...well.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:47 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Nice gesture on the woman's part. I'm curious to know why she called off the wedding, though. If the guy did something wrong, then shame on him. But, then again, she could just be a nut job.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:11 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,476 times
I'm wondering how the "guests" will be received by the Ritz Charles. I bet they don't get the same treatment the original guests would have gotten.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I'm wondering how the "guests" will be received by the Ritz Charles. I bet they don't get the same treatment the original guests would have gotten.
Interesting. I wonder what the hotel had to say about the turn of events. ;D

Old 07-16-2017, 08:47 PM

14,770 posts, read 8,101,600 times
That is really nice, what she did. If only more people were just a fraction of that nice to other less fortunate people
the world would be such a better place. She took a negative and turned it into something good. Good for her.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:13 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Why should they? It's not like they're going to bring gifts and tip.

Anyway, it was nice of her to be so benevolent ... Her money, her choice.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:22 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
30 grand for a wedding reception? Someone needs their head examined.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:23 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Interesting. I wonder what the hotel had to say about the turn of events. ;D
I'm sure they'll still put the food out, serve it and clean up when the 'event' is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events