Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:33 PM

22,578 posts, read 24,384,716 times

Advertisements

Should have just brought a serious weapon to school.....and used it if necessary.

People put their hands on others, one warning and that is it......then you get what you have coming, and you deserve whatever that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 07:49 PM

11,191 posts, read 9,010,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's a bit late for that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She's dead, now. But it might have been useful while she was still alive. There must have been recourse that she didn't avail herself of: a school guidance counselor, a trusted teacher, the school nurse, somebody! And why didn't the parents try to talk to school admin? She called a family member the morning of her death, crying, but wouldn't say what the problem was? She thought they wouldn't understand? Why wouldn't they understand? This is heartbreaking! She reached out, but very ineffectively.
Damn! I didn't read the story and just went by the thread title. I thought they hanged her inside the bathroom and called her stupid pole.

I read the article and saw her pics. I feel the bullying had to due with the fact that this girl was very pretty. The other girls might have been jealous and spiteful over that (i mean if you are ugly then you need to blame your parents for procreating!)

Old 07-17-2017, 11:33 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,003,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
Got to go with you there . They were mean as h&$^ to me all through school and my daughters had some issues with it but my sons did not . I have one daughter who after a year of bullying actually got into a fight so bad she threw this girl under the stopped school bus. She had terrorized my older daughter and at the time my 4th grader even after school hours and threatened to come to OUR HOUSE thinking she was going to have a go at me ( big mistake there ) and my HUSBAND with 4 other girls to back her up , I thought I was in the Twighlight Zone . I am NOT condoning what my daughter did ( 17 at the time and now works as a funeral director at age 23 ), but in court my daughter was found not guilty and frankly was glad I didn't have to answer when the girls family said I was ok with the incident - they would not have liked what I would have had to say - in front of the judge . .

Old 07-17-2017, 11:40 PM

102,064 posts, read 106,986,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Xenophobia? Bigotry? Anti-Slavism?

I like to hear some input from the British members of this forum about their take on racism and anti-immigration violence in the aftermath of the Brexit vote.
Anti-immigrant bigotry. It's always been around. Germans and Italians went through that in the early 1900's in the US.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:43 PM

102,064 posts, read 106,986,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Damn! I didn't read the story and just went by the thread title. I thought they hanged her inside the bathroom and called her stupid pole.

I read the article and saw her pics. I feel the bullying had to due with the fact that this girl was very pretty. The other girls might have been jealous and spiteful over that (i mean if you are ugly then you need to blame your parents for procreating!)
It's unclear if it was a suicide or a murder. The investigation is ongoing. And yes, I posted the same thought earlier, about their motive for bullying her.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:21 AM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 8 days ago)

5,783 posts, read 3,565,940 times
Any "kick ass and take names" solutions work only if you are able to do so in the first place. It's also victim-blaming - in this case for not being able to defend herself (physically or socially), but any other kind of undesirable trait also qualifies (weirdness, having odd habits or hobbies or dress, social cluelessness, gullibility - the list is potentially endless). It's as if ass-kicking ability is the main yardstick with which to measure a person's deservance of even the basics of dignity and respect (read: not getting indignity and disrespect).

Instead of focusing on what the victim should have done, the better approach is to change the culture so that kind of behavior is unacceptable - the same techniques used to stigmatize racism, homophobia, sexism, smoking, drinking and driving, and (increasingly) transphobia.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:29 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,713,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I wonder if immigrants from the Mid-East are told to go back to their own countries.
Those kids are taught from a very early age that there will be absolutely zero tolerance of any negative attention given to the "Asian" students. The eastern euros are the only ones they are still allowed to hate and bully, so they get it in spades.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:56 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,036,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Xenophobia? Bigotry? Anti-Slavism?

I like to hear some input from the British members of this forum about their take on racism and anti-immigration violence in the aftermath of the Brexit vote.
I grew up and went to school in Manchester, we had poles who couldn't speak English, no-one bothered them. I became life long friends with a Diaczuk family, great people.

Kids will zero in on self centered types though.
Suicide is an extreme form of selfishness.

I see so called "bullying" as an unsophisticated response to self centered kids.
No-one has the power to make someone kill themself. It was already there.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:49 PM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 8 days ago)

5,783 posts, read 3,565,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I grew up and went to school in Manchester, we had poles who couldn't speak English, no-one bothered them. I became life long friends with a Diaczuk family, great people.
"Some of my best friends are black" doesn't fly as an excuse in the US (and no doubt the UK too). The same logic applies to Poles - and any other kind of human difference you can imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg
Kids will zero in on self centered types though.
Suicide is an extreme form of selfishness.
What prevents them from zeroing in on unselfish types, especially if a lot of people with trouble setting boundaries as mere dupes that deserve to be taken advantage of? Do you really think people who have trouble with boundary-setting tend to be the selfish types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I see so called "bullying" as an unsophisticated response to self centered kids.
Again, even assuming it's an unsophisticated response to the self-centered kids, it's much more often an unsophisticated response to people traditionally considered "distastefully different" in some way (not just on race, ethnicity, religion, orientation, and gender identity, just to name five).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg
No-one has the power to make someone kill themself. It was already there.
I know its popular to believe that humans are in total control of their emotions, or even their destiny, but that just isn't the case - at least in any relevant time frame. By that logic, I have to say that nobody has the power to make you disrespect people who are slow-witted, weak, strange, easily duped, etc. Yet I've seen MANY people kneejerkedly react with almost maniacal spite toward such people - including many people on C-D (Although I agree it is somewhat possible for many or most people to train themselves out of being irritated or annoyed over nitpicky superficially annoying traits like this I just mentioned - but even that takes extensive reprogramming to even partially accomplish. Even then, there's the issue of victim-blaming, i.e. use the "pull yourself together" argument against the victim, implicitly absolving the perpetrator of any responsibility for their actions).

Old 07-18-2017, 08:15 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,391,955 times
It was a long time ago but I was severely bullied in high school.

No amount of reaching out or confiding or being positive ever helped me!

I don't know how things are now but I was basically told to handle it myself; to be the mature one and be diplomatic.

I was shy and scared to death but was told I was "stuck on myself".

I was the one who got detention after being beaten up (the usual 6-7 against one) in gym class!

Some of us just can't handle it.

And if "no one " has the power to make others do anything , cults etc would not exist.
Hmm makes me want to study and listen to some debates on "free will".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events