Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:17 PM

13,382 posts, read 28,648,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Unbelievable. I wish I could unsee that.
I didn't click on the video, the words were chilling enough

Old 07-21-2017, 01:42 PM

29,464 posts, read 22,452,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
After seeing the picture of the victim, I would dare say that many people would have just ignored him and left him to die. He is absolutely covered with tattoos and some of them indicate gang affiliation or at least a wannabe.

So let's be honest, how many people would be willing to jump into a possible gator infested pond to save a tatted up gang member that walked in fully clothed despite being warned not to?
True, I don't know who would have acted to save any person in general, let alone this poor victim, bystander effect and all, but I'd think at least a decent human being would have called 9-1-1.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:47 PM

342 posts, read 312,849 times
The article also states the body wasn't discovered until 3 days later when a passerby noticed it. So these teens just left and never told any responsible adult what happened.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:17 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,630,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Would they be punished in other states?
I don't know, but they should be.

Quote:
After seeing the picture of the victim, I would dare say that many people would have just ignored him and left him to die. He is absolutely covered with tattoos and some of them indicate gang affiliation or at least a wannabe.

So let's be honest, how many people would be willing to jump into a possible gator infested pond to save a tatted up gang member that walked in fully clothed despite being warned not to?
No one expects them to jump in and risk their own lives, but to not call for help and to just stand there laughing and mocking is disgusting.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:43 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,303,291 times
thats so horrible....wut is our world coming to???

Old 07-21-2017, 02:47 PM

581 posts, read 454,281 times
I understand that in Florida, jumping into a murky pond may not be the smartest idea in the world, but they could have at least called 911. To stand there laughing while someone drowned is disgusting.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:01 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,056,669 times
For everyone calling for charges.....there are no charges (at least criminal) for failing to call or having a duty to care for or intercede and help......perhaps there can be some type of civil penalty for not acting but I don't think so.

Only thing that can be hoped for in this case is karma and those scum who sat there and did nothing one day die while others sit and watch......they'd be great candidates to trade to ISIS for captives.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:21 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,331,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
For everyone calling for charges.....there are no charges (at least criminal) for failing to call or having a duty to care for or intercede and help......perhaps there can be some type of civil penalty for not acting but I don't think so.

Only thing that can be hoped for in this case is karma and those scum who sat there and did nothing one day die while others sit and watch......they'd be great candidates to trade to ISIS for captives.
The idea that this should be a criminal act is crazy. In practice if you made it a crime to NOT do something, more people would ignore people that needed help and even calling 911 would now be risky. What if the police determined that you could have done more and charge you with a crime? If I was on a jury there is no way I could convict someone of a crime for basically being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:24 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,692,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
I did not watch the entire clip.

1. The teens were stonned. They were high. Their judgement was impaired so in all honestly I don't think this means they are psychopaths if they were actually high at the time. When people are intoxicated they are not usually in sound mind and don't act like they would when they are not intoxicated.

2. Why was this disable man there alone anyways? Who was responsible for caring for him? Where are they at?

It is sad. They should have called 911. However, the expectation for them to go in the water after him is questionable. Going in that water could have actually been dangerous for them.

It is overall unfortunate... but I dont think it is as black and white. A stonned person laughts at just about anything and can often be in a dream like state.

It is not technically their fault nor duty to run in to the pond to save this man. Morally they should have offer assistance if it was safe for them to do so ( which is questionable if they were stonned and depending on the dangers associated with that body of what). They should have called 911. The video taping of it is a distasteful side effect to our current global tech savy culture. People flim EVERYTHING. Teens are the worst! Very few moments are considered private any more. I really wonder if some of them get the boundaries anymore. If you watch the TV show American Horror Story ( the last season) this is actually part of the theme. Please understanding the lines between real and fake gets blurry. Everything is about getting virtually likes, praise, hits... it is pretty sickening. It is all about selfies, instagram, facebook, musically, youtube... their profiles ... the worlds moving in a strange way really fast.

It is pretty much what they did after they were no longer stonned that makes these teens seem like monsters. Very sad situation.

Last edited by klmrocks; 07-21-2017 at 03:38 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 03:30 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,562,135 times
Quote:
The idea that this should be a criminal act is crazy. In practice if you made it a crime to NOT do something, more people would ignore people that needed help and even calling 911 would now be risky. What if the police determined that you could have done more and charge you with a crime? If I was on a jury there is no way I could convict someone of a crime for basically being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The kids' names should at least be made known. It's more public humiliation than taking actual legal action against them, and they can still argue any lasting consequences away by claiming they didn't really know the man was dying, were afraid to call 911, weren't able to get a signal, were just stupid kids at the time, or any of the other thousands of dumb excuses children can actually legitimately make in situations like that. The reason they should be made public is that they watched someone die without alerting anyone or doing anything, except recording a video of it. They didn't have to play hero, but they could have at least tried to get help. I work at something like a detention center, and, trust me, teens already think they can get away with murder. Proving it to them by reinforcing the idea that their actions have no consequences is not the right thing to do unless you want your neighborhood to be a place that isn't safe. Tighten the reigns, make them sweat, cause them to realize they've committed a crime (recording a video of watching someone die without doing anything when it is in your power to do so should be against the rules if isn't already because it is potentially telling other young people that that sort of behavior is okay. If you are running around with a shooter or a drug dealer, you can get arrested as an accomplice), and society demands payment. That way, hopefully when they are in their 20's, they won't be trigger happy thugs and thuggettes who have done little to nothing with their lives but damage the lives of others.

Last edited by krmb; 07-21-2017 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events