Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Indeed I do know the difference, I was assuming this was NOT SIDS; I thought it made the news because it was one of those co-sleeping accidents related to the proximity of Mother/infant, as in Mother rolled on infant while asleep. I've read of others that state that and I cannot fathom how Mother would not awaken when the infant struggled for breath, under her.

If SIDS then yes, a struggle is NOT a given as it can sometimes be neurological (brainstem) or cardiac.
Will they be reporting the billions of cosleeping non-events?

No. That's not sexy.

Media sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 02:14 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Will they be reporting the billions of cosleeping non-events?

No. That's not sexy.

Media sucks.
Heartily agree.
I didn't read the orig article I was just going by this thread.
Yeah if few details were given but BREASTFED was emphasized in the report, it was prob to rile folks up.
That makes more sense to me.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:25 PM

135 posts, read 94,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Pffft! Isn't it obvious? Don't fall asleep until your children are old enough not to breast feed!
For some, that could be up into their teens.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:26 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker-yanker View Post
For some, that could be up into their teens.
I get less sleep as a parent of teens than I did when they were babies!

Old 07-26-2017, 02:44 PM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Unless on a narcoleptic drug, how could a mother not be awakened by the struggles of a suffocating infant?

She had to have been doped up or drunk.

Seriously, an infant of 2mos who is being deprived of air by a pillow/ the mother's body, will struggle, furiously. Who could sleep through that?
Agreed. It could have just been an apnea/SIDs event. Especially at that age. Heartbreaking for her

Old 07-26-2017, 03:26 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This headline wants you to believe that somehow the breastfeeding led to the death of this child. However, the article says no cause of death has been determined. The author should be ashamed.
Agree. There is more to this story.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Lotta 'sumptions goin' on hereabouts. Yet we all have the same set of sparse facts staring at us.
Yes, we are all trying to figure out what could have possibly gone so wrong. Armchair detectives as it were just trying to make sense of such a very sad tragedy.

Bless this woman and her family as they try to recover from this horrible and tragic event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I get less sleep as a parent of teens than I did when they were babies!
Yes, sleep deprivation seems to be part and parcel of being a parent.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:44 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The only reason this made headlines was because she was breastfeeding Anyone ever had a colicky baby; breastfed or bottle fed? Cannot fall asleep while bottle feeding a colicky baby either after walking the floors for hours and hours? Are Moms supposed to stay awake 24/7, 12 months, and guard babies in the cribs too?

Of course, this headline is misleading with breastfeeding used as yellow journalism. BTW, my Uncle as an infant died in 1924. Death Certificate then called it Crib Death. Maybe co-sleeping with his twin baby brother in the same crib was the real cause? Grandma's fault because she didn't stand guard over their crib night and day?

BAD Headline, minus a lot of pertinent information.

You are so right! I was wondering why the headline stated "Baby Dies as Breastfeeding Mother Falls Asleep". The article could just as easily stated "Baby Dies as Mother Falls Asleep While Feeding Baby." I'm sick of this kind of journalism.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Pffft! Isn't it obvious? Don't fall asleep until your children are old enough not to breast feed!
I guess that is what the headline is supposed to tell us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
What?! I didn't say that. Of course there are steps to be taken which can reduce the risk of crib death / SIDS. The fact that none of them completely eliminates the possibility doesn't mean they shouldn't be taken. And we don't know any details about this particular incident. There may have been risk factors and there may not have been. Suppose the mother was sitting in a recliner nursing the baby and dozed off. Is there any parent among us who hasn't done that? Would you really blame the mother in that case? Did you ever have a baby?
I don't blame the mother. I had a colicky baby and I would fall alseep feeding him all the time in the lounge chair and in the bed. For the first three months - we got very little sleep - at ALL. At some point, even new mothers have to sleep or they cease to function and that's not good for baby either.

A terrible tragedy but I see no reason it should be headline news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Please tell us which bit of common sense this particular mother is lacking? Don't fall asleep?
That's it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events