Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:10 AM

77,970 posts, read 60,153,971 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it's not like the guy left clues pointing people to the most hugely hazardous areas during inclement weather or say underwater in an area with treacherous currents etc. etc.

People get in trouble going out into the wilderness all the time.

Also, if I'm an 80 year old dude that started this and the government told me to shut it down....I'd look them in the eye and say "no".

What are they going to do about it at that point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 09:33 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,043,528 times
He'll stop it once that first civil suit is filed against him.

Tick, tock.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:39 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
He'll stop it once that first civil suit is filed against him.

Tick, tock.
Why would he be liable for something people voluntarily choose to do?
He is not forcing anyone to do anything and those that get lost, injured or die are not following the clues
as written in his book.
When he placed the treasure he was 80 years old and recovering from aggressive cancer treatment and
he has stated many times he himself had to make 2 trips to the spot where he placed the treasure and it is not in a location that is dangerous to get to.
He was also featured on the television program *Unknown Destination* and stated the same as he wrote in the book.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:12 AM

4,975 posts, read 5,241,310 times
This guy was rafting. He was unprepared for the adventure he had undertaken and made a fatal mistake. Class 5 rapids comes with risks. Treasure hunting was secondary. If this guy thought rafting was the way to go hunt for this treasure, then maybe he should have done more research. The mistake was his.

I feel sorry for the man who hid the treasure. He has tried to do something fun. Unfortunately, the Darwin contenders showed up and may ruin it for everyone.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,043,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why would he be liable for something people voluntarily choose to do?
He is not forcing anyone to do anything and those that get lost, injured or die are not following the clues
as written in his book.
When he placed the treasure he was 80 years old and recovering from aggressive cancer treatment and
he has stated many times he himself had to make 2 trips to the spot where he placed the treasure and it is not in a location that is dangerous to get to.
He was also featured on the television program *Unknown Destination* and stated the same as he wrote in the book.
He isn't liable. That will not stop people from trying to sue him ergo, civil suit not criminally liable.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:13 AM

77,970 posts, read 60,153,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
He isn't liable. That will not stop people from trying to sue him ergo, civil suit not criminally liable.
It hasn't stopped him yet.

It would be pretty easy to get a cheap dismissal, especially if the family of the guy that drowned in Arkansas looking for a treasure in the Rocky Mountains was to make such a claim.

I totally get your point but in reading the article, I just think that it would be super tough to find a lawyer willing to take the case knowing they'll never get paid.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:43 PM

10,856 posts, read 7,270,569 times
He wasn't in Arkansas; the Arkansas River flows through Colorado (and other states).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

It would be pretty easy to get a cheap dismissal, especially if the family of the guy that drowned in Arkansas looking for a treasure in the Rocky Mountains was to make such a claim.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:47 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,731,447 times
On the one hand, I have no problem letting natural selection take it's course. On the other hand, I would hate for a first responder to be injured or killed trying to rescue someone who is treasure hunting.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:58 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,957,735 times
Sounds like fun! I read the article and Mr. Fenn says he hid the treasure when he was 80 and it took 2 trips from his car. And it's not in a dangerous place. He wasn't in a boat!

Old 08-01-2017, 12:59 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,292,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
On the one hand, I have no problem letting natural selection take it's course. On the other hand, I would hate for a first responder to be injured or killed trying to rescue someone who is treasure hunting.
So would I. But first responders are in that line of work and do accept a certain level of risk during rescue operations. That risk factor should always be at a minimum, but sometimes it just doesn't work that way.
What I do have a problem with is the taxpayers having to foot the bill for uneducated and stupid people that get their selves in trouble for the sake of entertainment. People have a right to enjoy whatever activities they enjoy, and if that endeavor puts them in peril and they have to be rescued, fine... send them the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events