Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 03:22 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
my first thought was murder suicide or maybe a double suicide. it just didn't make sense that they would get lost where they were. apparently they were found in a steep canyon to the far north of the maze loop. still surprised it took this long to find them. apparently the father of the guy was one of the people who found them. at least now their families can get some closure.

i think i read somewhere that they were ex's, not currently dating. everywhere i am seeing online today refer to him as "boyfriend" or her as "girlfriend", not ex. but they were out there for her birthday so i don't know. probably jealousy or she was breaking up with him or something like that.
They were ex's. That was in the early reports when they first were declared missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 03:31 PM

295 posts, read 354,200 times
I think it's murder/suicide with the new details. I think they could have gotten help if they really needed it. They weren't that remote and likely still be in cell coverage. I think he purposely took them far enough out that it would be much harder to find them. Probably took her cellphone at some point, shot her, embraced her and shot himself.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:43 PM

295 posts, read 354,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, I guess this and the other comments leave it open as to how & why it happened. But according to a couple of earlier posts, it wasn't 120, it was 99-100. But, whatever. I still don't think they were alive for days. If they'd been wandering around there for days, one of those search parties would have found them. I think search parties know to look down into ravines when a trail is on a steep slope, too. I suppose it's possible they fell, then survived a day or so to try to find their way back, or something. IDK. Maybe more will come from the police report, over time.
I doubt they were out there for days too. The car was found the very next day so they knew the general area already. Just then had to search places where they likely went to. I think the initial searches just didn't think it likely that they would have gone out that far and didn't search there.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:19 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,174 times
Additional information
https://local.nixle.com/alert/6218037/?sub_id=2879410

The bodies of Rachel Nguyen and Joseph Orbeso were found under a tree. They had positioned their clothing to cover their lower extremities and protect them from the sun. It appears they had been rationing their food and had no water.

The gun found near the bodies was registered to Joseph Orbeso.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:26 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
I think it's murder/suicide with the new details. I think they could have gotten help if they really needed it. They weren't that remote and likely still be in cell coverage. I think he purposely took them far enough out that it would be much harder to find them. Probably took her cellphone at some point, shot her, embraced her and shot himself.
There is no cell coverage out there. I've been there may times and once you get outside of town it's very spotty and once you get out onto the trails you're pretty much off the grid.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:27 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, I guess this and the other comments leave it open as to how & why it happened. But according to a couple of earlier posts, it wasn't 120, it was 99-100. But, whatever. I still don't think they were alive for days. If they'd been wandering around there for days, one of those search parties would have found them. I think search parties know to look down into ravines when a trail is on a steep slope, too. I suppose it's possible they fell, then survived a day or so to try to find their way back, or something. IDK. Maybe more will come from the police report, over time.
I agree. The more details that come out the more I think it was premeditated and he just took her out there to do this but we'll probably never know for sure

Old 10-21-2017, 12:29 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,174 times
Parents of Joshua Tree Hiker Found Dead Say Son Killed Friend and Himself to End Suffering
EXCLUSIVE: Parents of Joshua Tree Hiker speak

They say they were shocked at the lack of context in the release because it made it look like the killing was premeditated. They say the sheriff's department told them their son did it to put an end to their suffering and are upset the press release didn't reflect that. They want people to know it wasn't murder it was an act of mercy.

Joseph's parents say their son did have a gun registered under his name and took it along to protect Rachel and a friend confirmed that with a text saying he took it to protect her from a man who had been stalking Rachel.

They also say empty water bottles, food wrappers and bandaged wounds they were found with show the two friends tried to survive as long as they could in brutal July conditions in the desert but when they realized no one was coming they had no choice but to take their own lives.

His mom says about five days into the search she felt the exact moment of his death, "I just woke up, three o'clock in the morning and I took these breaths that I've never ever felt before as if it were his last, I felt him ... and you watch them take their very first breath and I felt him take his very last."

Old 10-21-2017, 12:31 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Well, either way, that’s sad. I guess the moral of the story is, never go to a remote place with your ex.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:20 AM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,123 times
Everything makes more sense now. Some posters here actually guessed correctly from the beginning.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:24 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Wow - didn't see that one coming.
We are never going to know the entire real story on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events