Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 03:26 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The 16-year-old girl was asleep, sitting in a window seat on a New Jersey-bound United Airlines plane, when a stranger’s hand on her thigh awakened her.

The man sitting next to her quickly removed his hand, according to a federal complaint, and the teenager went back to sleep. Then, she woke up again — and this time, the man was groping her, the complaint says.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/d...=.91ec777b298c

Of course it's not United's fault that a passenger did this. Their screw up (this time!) was that the girl notified a flight attendant and she was moved to a different seat. But when they got to the airport, he was allowed to walk off the plane and out the airport, rather than United calling authorities and having him detained so they could investigate. They were able to track him down based on the flight manifest but once again UAL messed up.

Why anyone keeps flying on this nightmare of an airline, I have no idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Because thousands of people fly United every day with no problems. I don't choose my airlines based on a small handful of incidences.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:07 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Because thousands of people fly United every day with no problems. I don't choose my airlines based on a small handful of incidences.
United flies nearly 400,000 passengers per day.

While the fact that a United Employee did not report this issue to authorities is absolutely unacceptable, you're quite right - it would be beyond silly to choose to fly one airline over another based on the stories that happen to be carried in the news.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Case of a pervert taking advantage of someone unable to stop them at the given moment. It happens on public transportation regularly. Its worse on an airplane where you cant just move to another car or exit at a stop.

Hope he gets plenty of groping action in the jail showers. See how he likes it then.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:50 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
The article said it was "unclear" if the incident was reported by airplane staff.

The girl rushed to call her parents, rightfully. But might have beaten the airline to the punch.

And the guy was still able to be identified without an airport showdown.

I am rarely on the airline's side...but this one I kind of understand.

When I have worked for businesses, I had to contact higher ups before making a major call like getting the police there. I feel like this is one of those times I might have waited to call the police for instructions from my bosses.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:16 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
The article said it was "unclear" if the incident was reported by airplane staff.

The girl rushed to call her parents, rightfully. But might have beaten the airline to the punch.

And the guy was still able to be identified without an airport showdown.

I am rarely on the airline's side...but this one I kind of understand.

When I have worked for businesses, I had to contact higher ups before making a major call like getting the police there. I feel like this is one of those times I might have waited to call the police for instructions from my bosses.
And yet for other incidents they are able to have the police waiting at the jetway to take someone into custody for not giving up the seat that they paid for and had a boarding pass for. I'm fairly certain that they are obligated to report a sexual assault that has been reported to them, and allow the police the opportunity to board the plane and at least question the suspect if not take him into custody prior to his leaving the plane.

And the reason the I see this as a problem for United is that it's just one in a whole series of events that indicate a problem with management not adequately conveying and enforcing the appropriate conduct by their employees. Once or twice is a random rogue employee. Time and time again means that there is a systemic problem. And I prefer to not get on a plane where I'm not convinced the company is adequately managing all functions including safety and security.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:23 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
Keep in mind we are getting one side of this, The Girls Side. We don't know what she actually said to the FA.

If all she said I feel uncomfortable sitting next to him the FA moves her and for the FA its a Done issue.

It also maybe a HE said . She said Issue.

If he fell asleep also, and his hand fell on to her leg, I've had that happen to me on planes, someones arm fall off there rest on to me, while they were sleeping.

A hand on the leg to a 16yo girl is a Grope, A hand falling on the leg of a 40yo man is a random hand movement.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Keep in mind we are getting one side of this, The Girls Side. We don't know what she actually said to the FA.

If all she said I feel uncomfortable sitting next to him the FA moves her and for the FA its a Done issue.

It also maybe a HE said . She said Issue.

If he fell asleep also, and his hand fell on to her leg, I've had that happen to me on planes, someones arm fall off there rest on to me, while they were sleeping.

A hand on the leg to a 16yo girl is a Grope, A hand falling on the leg of a 40yo man is a random hand movement.
Most of us females, by the age of puberty, develop a pretty good instinct for who is a perv, and who isn't. I'm inclined to believe her version of events. This isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened on a plane either.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:35 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not funny, Dude.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:47 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Not funny, Dude.
It wasn't meant to be, dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events