Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:49 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times

Advertisements

I'm glad that leah is speaking out about this cult. In my opinion, all religions are cults. They all brainwash their members and it's frightening to see how people end up treating their families who are not members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 06:45 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Yes but not at the same level as cult cults like Scientology or Reverend Moon or Jim Jones or David Koresh, etc. When the cult demands substantial amounts of your money, and your unqustioned allegiance and obedience, decide who you should marry or associate with, and that you shun people with different opinions, it's time to leave. Most religions are voluntary. You come and go as you please, donate money if you wish, or don't. You can associate with people who disagree with the religion. You can question the religion. A cult is just a huge con. They promise something that is unmeasurable and unprovable (you are making the world, or yourself, more enlightened, etc.), and demand you put them ahead of everything else, including yourself.

That said, we watched the first season but aren't watching the current season. It's all pretty much been said, and she is preaching to the choir. It's also a bit depressing to watch and listen to as you see the same abuses over and over. If she can start winning court cases I'd watch again. Otherwise it just more of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I'm glad that leah is speaking out about this cult. In my opinion, all religions are cults. They all brainwash their members and it's frightening to see how people end up treating their families who are not members.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:16 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Yes but not at the same level as cult cults like Scientology or Reverend Moon or Jim Jones or David Koresh, etc. When the cult demands substantial amounts of your money, and your unqustioned allegiance and obedience, decide who you should marry or associate with, and that you shun people with different opinions, it's time to leave. Most religions are voluntary. You come and go as you please, donate money if you wish, or don't. You can associate with people who disagree with the religion. You can question the religion. A cult is just a huge con. They promise something that is unmeasurable and unprovable (you are making the world, or yourself, more enlightened, etc.), and demand you put them ahead of everything else, including yourself.

That said, we watched the first season but aren't watching the current season. It's all pretty much been said, and she is preaching to the choir. It's also a bit depressing to watch and listen to as you see the same abuses over and over. If she can start winning court cases I'd watch again. Otherwise it just more of the same.
I respectfully disagree.

Many religions (catholic, mormons, universalists, seventh day adventists, baptists, etc) expect their members to pay a tithe (a specific amount of their income) to the church. I know this because I have known people who were a part of these religions/cults and they struggled because of the tithe issue. I also know that most of those religions/cults practice disfellowshipping and cutting people off if they choose to leave the church, meaning their family and friends (if members of church) cannot speak to them any more. I've seen it.

There are issues in all religions/cults with abuse, molestations, brainwashing, forcing to give money or buy into programs... I find it so disgusting that they prey on people and do it under the guise of love and fellowship.

Scientologists are just the religion/cult of the moment to be in the spotlight.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:51 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Catholic for 73 yrs. Don't recall anyone asking for a specific amt. of income.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Aren't some well-known celebs Scientologists?

Old 08-20-2017, 09:20 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Exactly. Tithing is NOT part of the Catholic religion.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:00 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Didn't you used to get the box of envelopes each year? They track your donations that way and in my youth, I remember that they'd talk to families who weren't giving regularly. Idk if they expected a % but they definitely expected something.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:15 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Anybody remember the big fight between Time magazine and the Scientologists back in the early 90s? Time was investigating them then and they'd print something about Scientology in their magazine and the Scientologists would sue, and Time would go to court and win and then they'd print something again and the Scientologists would sue again ad nauseum. Finally, in what was a win for Time, the court ruled that the Scientologists were just filing nuisance suits and they needed to stop it or they'd be in real legal trouble.

That was the big thing about Scientology, then. Maybe now, too. If you said anything about them, they sued. And since they could spend millions of dollars on lawsuits and lawyers, most people didn't stand a chance against them. And they sued at the drop of a hat. That might have changed now.

When I was working for 7-11, some guy came in asking us to take a test. It turned out to be the Scientology test and was a regular 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper with questions squeezed in from top to bottom on both sides in small print. We threw it away.

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Fishman/time-behar.html

Last edited by rodentraiser; 08-20-2017 at 11:29 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 12:05 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
They own a lot of property in Downtown Clearwater FL (Their HQ) and I always get a creepy vibe driving through there when you see their "disciples" walking around in their white shirts and black ties.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Didn't you used to get the box of envelopes each year? They track your donations that way and in my youth, I remember that they'd talk to families who weren't giving regularly. Idk if they expected a % but they definitely expected something.

We still get the 'lopes but no one has ever talked to us about not using them. Oh the Monsignor would frequently lecture the faithful about finances but there was no direct pressure.

But one time way back circa 1956, the nuns handed out the boxes to us 6th graders to take home. Buddy and I were walking home for lunch and using the box as a football. One of his "passes" sailed over my head landed in the street, was run over by a car, and envelopes went flying everywhere. Some little brown-noser picked up one of the 'lopes, brought it to the rectory, and the Monsignor had a fit. Threatened to expel me despite my pleas that it was an accident.

He did calm down and I was not given a replacement box.

I do use 'lopes now and count the yearly total as a tax deduction. Church is quite accurate in their year-end statements as proof of giving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events