Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 02:33 PM

625 posts, read 952,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Apparently yes, in Mass. The Other Complication is the tax situation where Federal and State want to impose gift or estate taxes when you transfer to someone else.

Two questions:

Why didn't she form a blind trust to claim the prize?

Are you saying that if a lawyer claimed the prize through a blind trust that the Federal and State gift taxes would apply once the money from the trust would be transferred to the winner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 05:34 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
The question of whether she could have claimed her winnings anonymously was answered multiple times in this thread, OP, and also easily found online:

How To Claim Mass. Lottery Winnings Anonymously | MA Lottery Attorneys

Quote:
When an individual has won money in the RI or MA Lottery, there is sometimes a requirement to have the identity of the winning ticket holder disclosed, which may include their photograph. These pictures are then placed on the website of the Mass.State Lottery Commission that distributes the lottery winnings. Obviously the identity of the person becomes known at that time.

Mignanelli lottery attorneys have successfully used anonymous trusts to allow lottery winners to remain completely anonymous while having immediate access to their lottery winnings.
Powerball Privacy Protection - Forming a Massachusetts Lottery Trust - McNamara & Yates P.C.

More Lottery winners using trusts to accept prizes anonymously - News - The Enterprise, Brockton, MA - Brockton, MA

As far as why this lady chose to broadcast her lottery win to the world via public press conference, my guess as mentioned earlier in this thread, is that she is one of those people that is probably insecure in life, had a lot of ups and downs, and when she found out she won, it was her ultimate way of showing off to her co-workers and the world that she is finally somebody. Someone worthy of respect and attention and adulation.

She is now worth more than the following celebrities in terms of net worth, a staggering list:

Powerball winner Mavis Wanczyk is now richer than most celebs - NY Daily News

I say this not out of jealousy or spite or resentment. In fact I wished her the best and hope that she will use this windfall to enjoy the rest of her life on her terms. I'm just speculating on why someone would do something so reckless and in haste.

Even 1 million dollar lottery winners have used blind trusts to protect themselves.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The question of whether she could have claimed her winnings anonymously was answered multiple times in this thread, OP, and also easily found online:

How To Claim Mass. Lottery Winnings Anonymously | MA Lottery Attorneys

Powerball Privacy Protection - Forming a Massachusetts Lottery Trust - McNamara & Yates P.C.

More Lottery winners using trusts to accept prizes anonymously - News - The Enterprise, Brockton, MA - Brockton, MA

As far as why this lady chose to broadcast her lottery win to the world via public press conference, my guess as mentioned earlier in this thread, is that she is one of those people that is probably insecure in life, had a lot of ups and downs, and when she found out she won, it was her ultimate way of showing off to her co-workers and the world that she is finally somebody. Someone worthy of respect and attention and adulation.

She is now worth more than the following celebrities in terms of net worth, a staggering list:

Powerball winner Mavis Wanczyk is now richer than most celebs - NY Daily News

I say this not out of jealousy or spite or resentment. In fact I wished her the best and hope that she will use this windfall to enjoy the rest of her life on her terms. I'm just speculating on why someone would do something so reckless and in haste.

Even 1 million dollar lottery winners have used blind trusts to protect themselves.

I only want to play the lottery in a state where I can remain anonymous!

Old 08-31-2017, 10:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
I only want to play the lottery in a state where I can remain anonymous!
that's so like you

Old 08-31-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
that's so like you

But let's be honest. Remaining anonymous if you win the lottery takes away so much pressure that I would rather travel to a nearby state where I can remain anonymous state to buy lottery tickets a few times a year!

Old 08-31-2017, 11:33 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Q: Would you rather be unlucky at lottery or just plain stupid?
A: Unlucky can be fixed, but you can't fix stupid.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Two questions:
Are you saying that if a lawyer claimed the prize through a blind trust that the Federal and State gift taxes would apply once the money from the trust would be transferred to the winner?
I think I answered the first question a just minute ago.
No, the claim by the lawyer is that person acting as an agent to receive the money for the trust from the lottery. The winner can be a beneficiary of the trust as well as a trustee, and that can create an anonymous status.
There is a lot of case law that indicates subsequent transfers to friends and family and strangers is seen by the IRS as a gift and is therefore taxable to the DONOR as such.
In order to avoid that taxation the trust agreement may have to predate the award of the prize or maybe even predate the drawing.

That's why I have sent email to those I want to share with inviting them into a pool where they have to opt out of sharing any lottery tickets that any of us buy.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:49 AM

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Two questions:

"Blind Trust" doesn't mean what you think it does.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
"Blind Trust" doesn't mean what you think it does.
Right, it is one of those phrases that triggers people to repeat something they have heard in the news, like "Trump put all his assets in a blind trust. I would too."
Actually:
"A blind trust is a trust in which the trust beneficiaries have
no knowledge of the holdings of the trust, and no right to intervene in their handling.
In a blind trust, the trustees (fiduciaries, or those who have been given power of attorney)
have full discretion over the assets.

Not my approach at all. I want a trust(?) where the PUBLIC is blind!

Old 08-31-2017, 01:05 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Right, it is one of those phrases that triggers people to repeat something they have heard in the news, like "Trump put all his assets in a blind trust. I would too."
Actually:
"A blind trust is a trust in which the trust beneficiaries have
no knowledge of the holdings of the trust, and no right to intervene in their handling.
In a blind trust, the trustees (fiduciaries, or those who have been given power of attorney)
have full discretion over the assets.

Not my approach at all. I want a trust(?) where the PUBLIC is blind!

thank you, I will bookmark this post for later on when I need it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events