Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 06:00 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

Back in the "day", pregnant women worse loose fitting clothing but now the trend seems to be to wear tighter clothing that accentuates the baby "bump". I will bet all three emails in this outpouring of criticism are over 60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 06:39 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Back in the "day", pregnant women worse loose fitting clothing but now the trend seems to be to wear tighter clothing that accentuates the baby "bump". I will bet all three emails in this outpouring of criticism are over 60.
It's not necessarily accentuating. It's just that people have realized it's no longer something that needs to be hidden under a tent.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:02 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I can't stand the term "baby bump" either. "Body shaming" is just as stupid a term, IMO. Women are judged so much more for their appearance then men. Kristen Nicole's response was a great idea. She's an active, strong working woman, and ignoring other people's opinions is not always the best option. As an aside, I think wearing a form fitting dress late in pregnancy looks great. Tents belong in the wilderness when camping, not on pregnant women.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:41 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,283 times
Why do so many people insist on infantilizing themselves? "Bump", "Body-shaming"? Are adult sensibilities and reactions to criticism just no longer developed? So many seem trapped in perpetually-sensitive/ready to appear offended at everything adolescence.

Last edited by RP2C; 08-26-2017 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 08-26-2017, 11:14 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I think women look much better not trying to cover their pregnant body and letting their curves show. I know in the past CNN would put them in a moomoo and film them higher up and it was odd looking. I don't know if they still do that.

I think the purple dress in some of the photos is tacky. But that's my personal style. Women news anchors are expected to dress professional-sexy where males still wear suits. I don't know why women anchors don't always as well.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:06 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

I think the purple dress in some of the photos is tacky. But that's my personal style. Women news anchors are expected to dress professional-sexy where males still wear suits. I don't know why women anchors don't always as well.
And this guy from Australia wore the same suit on air every day, and no one said a word: Karl Stefanovic Wears Same Suit for a Year to Protest Sexism

Old 08-26-2017, 12:08 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That has to do with the camera adding 10 pounds. Wearing floaty, loose dresses makes them look huge and then they'd get letters complaining about that.

It always shocks/amuses me how many female newscasters get constant commentary about what they're wearing. I might think someone's outfit is ugly, but idea of putting fingers to keyboard and hitting send to tell them that seems unnecessary.
So the only choice are dresses? REALLY? What's wrong with nice slacks/blouse?

You're not going to catch me dead in a dress. I haven't worn a dress or anything LIKE a dress for decades.

However, back to the subject - I don't object to obvious pregnancies but I do think showing up for work in a Kelly Bundy dress shows a lack of common sense and taste, pregnancy or no pregnancy.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:57 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
A pregnant Chicago news anchor is standing strong against viewers who body shamed her for wearing a form-fitting dress.

Now in her eighth month of pregnancy, Kristen Nicole, co-anchor of Good Day Chicago on FOX32, says that three women sent her emails complaining that the sight of her baby bump was “offensive.”

News Anchor Responds to Viewers Offended by Her 8-Month Baby Bump: 'I Choose to Laugh'

I don't get that. What could possibly be offensive about a pregnant woman showing her pregnancy? How is the sight of a baby bump offensive in any way, let alone so offensive that people feel that they have to complain about it? I like the way Kristen handled the situation.
It's new, to the news anchor business. People aren't used to seeing news professionals in an advanced and obvious state of pregnancy. Also, the objection apparently was that she wasn't wearing a tent; she was dressed fashionably, so her "bump" was quite obvious. But she has to be fashionable for the job, or at least--businesslike, so it's another example of how you can't win, as a woman.

I assume that in the past, news anchors who became pregnant took an extended leave, so as not to be in-your-face with the public about their condition. But we're in more enlightened and anti-discriminatory times now, so young female anchors have the option of continuing to work through their pregnancy.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Ageist remark!

I'm waaay over 60 and I couldn't care less what a pregnant newscaster wears.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
She looks great. I don't usually say this because I don't like saying it or the overly simplistic insinuation behind it, but maybe people are just jealous. Not everyone looks that good pregnant, and now with increasing obesity rates, not everyone looks that good ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events