Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:49 PM

903 posts, read 862,178 times

Advertisements

I guess you can't believe everything you read.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/volunteer...221823503.html

It wasn’t until about noon on Tuesday ― more than 20 hours after the boat struck the power lines ― that they were rescued by members of the Texas Department of Public Safety. By then, the three men had suffered frostbite to their hands and toes, and required antibiotics after spending so long in the filthy water, Connellan said.

In addition to suffering electrical burns, Butterfield wrote of suffering a fractured toe, a gashed knee that required stitches, and a black eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 01:24 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
You are not going to get frostbite in a subtropical location in August. And you don't treat frostbite with antibiotics. They have something else.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You are not going to get frostbite in a subtropical location in August. And you don't treat frostbite with antibiotics. They have something else.
Erik,

It appears you and I are both shocked that the news media is inaccurate. Shocked I say. Imagine how inaccurate they are about (insert subject you are not knowledgeable about).

Crickets....

Old 09-01-2017, 08:36 PM

1,235 posts, read 731,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
I guess you can't believe everything you read.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/volunteer...221823503.html

It wasn’t until about noon on Tuesday ― more than 20 hours after the boat struck the power lines ― that they were rescued by members of the Texas Department of Public Safety. By then, the three men had suffered frostbite to their hands and toes, and required antibiotics after spending so long in the filthy water, Connellan said.

In addition to suffering electrical burns, Butterfield wrote of suffering a fractured toe, a gashed knee that required stitches, and a black eye.
READ then you can see how this "could" happen. Most of it is common sense, particularly if they were exposed for long periods of time as night falls.

DailyMail journalists escaped death from Hurricane Harvey | Daily Mail Online

Old 09-01-2017, 08:39 PM

1,235 posts, read 731,503 times
Quote:
Erik,

It appears you and I are both shocked that the news media is inaccurate. Shocked I say. Imagine how inaccurate they are about (insert subject you are not knowledgeable about).

Crickets....
You should read - You'd learn more that way.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
READ then you can see how this "could" happen. Most of it is common sense, particularly if they were exposed for long periods of time as night falls.

Frostbite is caused by ice crystals forming inside blood vessels which requires prolonged exposure to temperatures below -4C (25F). It was simply nowhere near that cold.

The person who mentioned frostbite was one of the victims, not a doctor. He probably meant hypothermia which is very probable under those conditions and does result in numbness of extremities due to blood being drawn to the body's core.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:46 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Quote:

Sorry, but NO, there is no way frostbite "could" happen in Southern Texas in August! Hypothermia, yes, especially when immersed in cold water for several hours. But, real frostbite? Not a chance!
Sadly, true "Journalists" are a nearly extinct species today. Silly and/or stupid mistakes and misstatements have become the norm. For example the "journalist" who was talking about the "mobile homes" damaged by Harvey. When the camera panned the area, it was obvious that what he was blathering about, but had no knowledge of, was an RV park full of travel trailers, both bumper pull and fifth wheel hitches. There was not a real "mobile home" in sight. Yes, there IS a difference, and a "real" news reporter would have familiarized himself with the subject.
Sadly, reporters and journalists of the Walter Cronkite/Chet Huntley/David Brinkley/Paul Harvey stripe are long gone.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
My husband and I watched the news conference with the spokesman from that Arkama chemical plant that's on fire - we've watched every one of the press conferences, I believe because we are very interested in that topic. Anyway, long story short, a reporter yesterday was discussing the press conference from the day before and he kept saying that the SPOKESPERSON said the fumes were toxic. This is absolutely untrue. In fact, when asked directly if the fumes were toxic, he repeatedly said, "They are irritants. They are noxious."

Noxious and toxic have two distinctly different meanings, but less than 24 hours later this so called reporter was already twisting it and reporting erroneous information. Now - the fumes might be toxic - I don't know - but that is NOT what the spokesperson said, and that's the significant difference. Reporter making up news and reporting it as factual. Grrrr.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
You should read - You'd learn more that way.
Ahhhh, the irony is delicious. Lol!

Old 09-02-2017, 09:22 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Quote:
Erik,
Crickets....
I have observed that talking news heads seem to know nothing about areas of special knowledge they discuss on air. Sports is one exception, but the commentators need to be specialized. Eg, local talking heads discussing winter sports are able only to parrot network script handouts.
In this case the original report was gathered by someone who did not know the word "hypothermia" but did vaguely remember hearing "frostbite."
"At least, that's my guess, and I'm sticking to it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events