Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 05:06 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
On the rare occasion I have my car serviced - I tell the service writer and put in writing on the authorization paperwork that there will be no "test drives." Then I stay there and wait for my vehicle service to be completed.

You can totally do that..

Until the "complaint cannot be duplicated" .

Then it's a standoff.

Personally, I'd rather let the tech verify that the repair was successful before I got the car back..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 05:27 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Umm, pretty sure it's more common that they would like you to believe, not that it makes it right.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/woman-catc...opstories.html
Just a few perks of the job for a auto mechanic and a parking valet....

The only solution is to go to a "community college " and get a auto mechanic certification for yourself , and then work on your own cars yourself.

Believe it or not that same thought has been entering my head lately about every other month.....

Old 09-07-2017, 06:15 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
This is a perfect explanation of how the system works, & thank you for posting it, although techs seldom make out like bandits, but attorneys always do.
I'm sorry, I should have been clearer: The tech does not make out like a bandit, the shop owner does. The only benefit the tech sees from beating the flat rate is a good reputation in the shop. He or she gets the regular hourly rate, period. The tech does not see much of that $118 per hour that the shop charges.
Yes, that's right, $118 per hour! My motorhome is in the shop for generator repair right now, and that is the shop rate!

Old 09-07-2017, 06:33 PM

903 posts, read 862,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This wreck was of a 1.5 million dollar Ferrari Enzo by 2 dealer mechanics:
deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

When a Ferrari Enzo was crashed by two dealership mechanics earlier this week, it could've been caused by a number of things. A mechanical issue. An evasive maneuver. A pelican. Not so, according to the man who pulled them from the wreck. It was just regular old terrible driving.
Sorry, previous poster says it only happens in movies. *Mic drop*

Old 09-07-2017, 07:16 PM

811 posts, read 621,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

Techs who are hot-rodders generally have better cars than you anyway.
Ha!

So true. So true.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:17 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
One of my first purchases upon moving to California was I had to get my vehicle "smogged". There was also a bad sensor that was going to have to be fixed in order to pass inspection, I'd known about it for years, but the mechanic I used in Chicago had assured me this was just the sensor letting us know the sensor was bad, no real issue. At any rate, I was going to have to spend the money in order to get California to say my car was ok.

So I dropped it off at the local station and rode my bike to work. They said it wasn't ready yet and I'd have to wait a day. I worked late and I got a call from the police around 8:00pm letting me know my car had been in an accident....nearly 40 miles away.

The next day I went to pick up my damaged car. They wouldn't release the vehicle until I paid for their fee. The police said there was nothing they could do as the other driver had been at fault, and they had a reason to be out driving the car (needed mileage to reset something). In fact, they also charged me for gas for their drive.

So I paid. My insurance handled the damage and went after the responsible party and eventually all was well, but even in California riding ones bike to work in January can be a bit cold.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:23 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
It's called "two birds, one stone" -

I.e., "I need lunch & I also need to know this a/c is working properly".

Techs who are hot-rodders generally have better cars than you anyway.

Your repair order clearly states that your car might be driven. On the road. By a tech.
I don't eat or drink in my cars.
I don't carry liquids or any prepared foods.

But suddenly I'm supposed to be ok with a big gulp jammed into the cup holder sweating droplets into the suede and eu de Whataburger? Bullcrap.

And if I'm being charged for labor time, there is no 2 birds with one stone.

If the tech is driving a $128k car, then he's overcharging big time.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
And by the way, over and over in this thread people have mentioned who cares because your car isn't even that special.

Frankly, it's not the point. I don't care if you drive a Porsche 911 4S or a Dodge Dart. That is your car. You should have every say about what goes on in that car.

Maybe for that guy, that car is expensive as heck and special as heck. And people shouldn't get to **** all over it because y'all don't think people should care because their cars are so stupid or worthless. That's not your call.

Besides their home, people's biggest expense tends to be their car. And they deserve to be able to do the business with people who aren't taking advantage of being alone with these vehicles.

Real professionals and people with integrity would see it as their responsibility to take care of these cars the way the owner would want.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:33 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I stopped taking my car to a mechanic once because I found out he was using other customer's cars to give "courtesy rides" to home/work etc. when customers brought their cars in. I realize some of you will have no problem with this but if I'm dropping my car off for an oil change I don't expect it to come back with 20 more miles on the odometer (yes this happened).
Had similar happen to my car in for a paint job. Got it back and it had more than 80 miles on it. I knew they had driven it to El Paso (maybe even Juarez) and was really ticked off.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:19 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
That’s what I like about my AMG, I can control it with my phone, not only start and stop, also if someone is driving the car. I get a detailed map of the location and relevant info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events