U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 07:02 AM

14,100 posts, read 20,592,457 times

Advertisements

I bought the 8 plus after having the 6s since it came out. It was my Xmas present to myself. I've also had IPhones since it launched first day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 12:04 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,670,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
The pad isn't expensive. I bought an add on charger for my android phone that plugged into the usb port and is inserted behind the phone. It cost me 2.50 on Amazon. My charging pad cost 15 dollars. I no longer have to insert the usb cord to charge it AND my phone will ring if called while charging.
Just to add to this. New vehicles are starting to come with wireless charging pads in them. This is nice because you no longer need to have a charging cable with you if your phone needs a quick charge.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:20 PM

8,916 posts, read 4,493,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I guess it's like how there are people who still prefer to build carburated engines versus running EFI
If I knew anything about engines, I might be able to agree or disagree.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:18 AM

13,783 posts, read 15,655,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I don't see why you can't use facetime on Samsungs third highest phone, as far as seeing text delivered and read; there are androids that do that. My comment was a joke, most of the things this new phone does, androids have been doing already, and for half or less than that outrageous effing price. The phone cost more than a chromebook.
What's not to understand? FaceTime is an Apple product. They made a business decision to not make an app for Android or Windows. It's a business decision by Apple. If you want to use FaceTime, you have to have a iPhone/Pad. If you want to use Apple Maps, same deal. Apple Music on the other hand works with Windows and Android. iTunes works on Windows (PC). iTunes isn't a mobile app but unlike with FaceTime they have opened it up to third-party apps so you can sync your Android device to iTunes. The difference is that iTunes or Apple Music are paid services. They want as many people to use them as possible as more people = more sales. FaceTime there's not really an advantage. I suppose they could offer a paid app, say $5 to download FaceTime for Android but that's not a huge money maker. Apparently in 2013 the average iTunes account spent $43 per year versus what they could sell FaceTime for even if they did a yearly subscription model. I'd probably spend $5 if they offered FaceTime for Android just because FaceTime is so common. I wouldn't spend $5/year though. It's something that a few times a year it would be nice to be able to use. From a business perspective it's a smarter choice. iMessage or FaceTime are very popular and a sways a lot of people from drifting over to try Android. Aside from picking up a few sales if they charged for them (most iMessage type apps are free) there's no monetary incentive.

The only way Apple is going to open up iMessage or FaceTime is if Apple users start abandoning them in large numbers for similar apps that work across Windows, iOS, MacOS, and Android. That's not likely to happen as iMessage integrates with your Apple account and Apple can simply restrict third-party apps from doing that. WhatsApp and it's cumbersome web interface isn't it.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:25 PM

699 posts, read 742,516 times
As much as I thought too much time was spent on Animoji during the keynote and it definitely wasnít marketed towards me (not interested in the feature), the True Depth camera system that drives Animoji is Appleís first steps into AR (Augmented Reality) which is interesting with future possibilities.

As for selfies, Iím all for a better camera on the iPhone, so any improvements or additional features added to the front or rear facing cameras is fine by me. I donít take many selfies unless itís the only way to capture me in a certain location, but I do take a lot of pictures in general.

That said, I chose not to get the X this year. Price isnít the issue. Iím waiting for the Plus version to be released next year if rumors hold true. I have only owned the Plus versions of the iPhone and found the X to be too small in both screen size and form factor.

Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM

1,017 posts, read 499,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I read something interesting on Forbes. None of the new iPhones will come with a lightning charger as standard equipment. That is of course sold separately, and so is the cable. These things can add a considerable amount to the expense of one's iPhone Next. ($49-$79 for the charger, and $25 or $35 for the cable). Additionally, users may be required to buy a proprietary Apple branded Air Power Matt rather than the standard Qi Mat for the wireless charging. Those won't be on sale until 2018. Or one can buy the Airpods charging case for $70.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#3e87420e7c39
This is nonsense. You didn't read the article. All the new iPhones come with lightning chargers. The article is saying that they don't come with fast chargers (18w USB-C chargers vs 15w). You have to buy the USB-C chargers separately if you want the extra 3w charging capacity.

Standard charging pads work with iPhones.

Also, you don't need to purchase airpods for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or