U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 03:20 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,611,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As a permanent member of the terminally clueless, what's so special about this phone?

Keep in mind, this is being asked by someone who doesn't even know what kind of iphone they have, I think it is a 5ish type, but I can't get the protective case off to read the back. Further, this is being asked by someone who just uses it as a phone, texter, alarm clock, and immediate camera/video machine when my DSLR isn't around.

So the answer may just be, "don't worry your pretty head about it for you have no need for something like this."....maybe.
These features stand out:
--Wireless charging. You can put your phone on top of some pad, and it'll charge. No need to plug a cable in. AFAIK, this pad is extra ($84 IIRC?), and may not charge as fast as via wired
--Edge to edge screen. Looks pretty for some. For others, they like having the bezels removed to have that extra viewing area.
--Face ID
Look at the camera to unlock. It works at night (since it uses infrared projector which doesn't depend on daylight, should work even if you have makeup/a beard, but may not if your eyes are closed)
The Iph8, Iph8+, and IphX get some minor spec bumps.

Otherwise this phone is more geared towards people who have Iphone models from 2 to 3+ generations ago. Those with last generation's or 2 gens ago may deem it's not worth upgrading this soon.
You basically got folks from all camps... "no way!", to "hell yes!", and in between saying they like the new features but it's not worth an extra $300 (vs. the Iph8).

As for yourself, if you really don't use any of the apps, from their app stores, then you probably could've just gotten a flip phone. Quadruple your battery life

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, Apple's got y'all just where they wanted you.

Going to stick with my 8+year old burner phone as long as it still works. Less than $100/yr operating cost.
I'm using an LG G4 that I got used, for $220. One year in, still working great. It's not really an Apple thing, nor a Samsung thing. I eventually just lost the desire to spend more than $330 on ANY smartphone.

Last edited by ackmondual; 09-14-2017 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Added Face ID
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,495,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
1 year really does seem to unusual. FWIW, I believe you, but I've met folks who easily get 2 years out of their iPhones, with some using them up to 6 years. TBF, after the 2 to 4 year mark, things get slower, it can't support the latest versions of iOS, the newest features pushed through software, or some apps require the newer versions of iOS.

I have an iPod Touch 5 that still works, but there have been some games that now require ios8+ (I'm still on ios7.0.4). It's 4 years old, so it's truly a matter of time before the battery can't hold a charge.

I'm trying to think if I ever spent $1000 on electronics in my day.... SNES (Super Nintendo) $200, and IIRC, I eventually had 10 games, at $60 each. Adjusted for inflation.. sounds about even. But then again, there are data plans with these phones, them kids likely play freemium games.
It could possibly be extreme climate issues (both heat and cold)? When the iPhone gets cold sometimes it just turns off. Not a comforting thought if you need to use you phone in a cold emergency. Eek!

Some of the issues can be repaired. The batteries can be changed out. But my last iPhone 5 had a mother board death. And the current one has a glitch in the software that cant be fixed further then it is. A lot of my friends have reported the same thing and I hear the joke that they are set to self destruct at 1 year so you have to get a new one.

Also having kids might be part of the issue. They have a tendency to be hard on electronics. My son killed a battery by using my iPhone plugged in with almost not battery. I don't think it would have been that big of a deal, the charger was crappy and really slow.

Now that I think of it, my husband has had one for 2.5 years now with no problem. He doesn't let the kids touch it, he doesn't leave it plugged in charging overnight often. And he doesn't usually expose it to temps like I do. Hummmmm....

Old 09-14-2017, 03:49 PM

11,895 posts, read 9,620,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
You almost have to because Apple makes sure they auto-combust when they are a year old.

I have had a lot of iphones...I do get the insurance on them. They almost always fail in some way at a year. If you are lucky its the battery. But sometimes its the motherboard. Now its an unfixable software glitch...or so it seems. Mine kind of works.

So I am on a 5. How is the 7? What are the perks of the 8 or X? Any thoughts?

I don't give a crap about selfies but I would love awesome camera quality and would pay more for that if it was excellent.
The X seems to have great camera quality however when compared to the 8 on the website IIRC the two cameras are exactly the same. There may have been one or two minor differences where the X is a tad better but the 8 is an upgrade in camera above the 7 and other previous phones.

There is a "compare models" section on the website under the iPhone section.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:52 PM

11,895 posts, read 9,620,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
FaceID will backfire on Apple. A criminal can simply swipe your phone and in 3 secs force you to face the camera and unlock the phone.

A criminal won't want one because the police can easily unlock your phone now just simply making you pose in front of the camera.
I've seen this argument before already, but can't a criminal also force you to use your thumbprint? Or even give your password, if they have a gun to your face will you really say no? I don't really see this as much of an issue but that's just me.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:53 PM

33,064 posts, read 26,880,121 times
Quote:
You almost have to because Apple makes sure they auto-combust when they are a year old.

I have had a lot of iphones...I do get the insurance on them. They almost always fail in some way at a year. If you are lucky its the battery. But sometimes its the motherboard. Now its an unfixable software glitch...or so it seems. Mine kind of works.

So I am on a 5. How is the 7? What are the perks of the 8 or X? Any thoughts?

I don't give a crap about selfies but I would love awesome camera quality and would pay more for that if it was excellent.
I have a 7 plus. No issues with it. I like the 7 plus. Good camera.

I have never had to return one due to defects except my multiple returns on the first and second iPhone models and my desire to return the 6 plus when I bought it due to the processor being inferior.

They had 2 types of them for that year.

I want the X because it interests me. Pretty much no bezels and no home button. Should be very different.

I usually sell mine to someone I know who wants to get a good deal. I always have AppleCare on them, so they'll be covered another year once I sell them.

The 5 is wayyyy back. Does the new OS even work on it? I would think it would be jerky.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:04 PM

1,692 posts, read 842,917 times
Quote:
These features stand out:
--Wireless charging. You can put your phone on top of some pad, and it'll charge. No need to plug a cable in. .

Doesn't the charging pad have to be plugged in? Also it seems it would make it difficult to use the phone while charging. You would have to use it on a flat surface or hold the pad with it. That's about as annoying as the 7 is with not being able to use the ear buds while it's plugged into the charger

Old 09-14-2017, 04:16 PM

459 posts, read 228,548 times
Quote:
Woohoo! my 5 is buggy
I loved my 5. I HATE my 6.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:12 PM

247 posts, read 100,575 times
iPhones...the biggest scam ever.
Why would anyone willingly pay over 40 bucks (and over 30 a month) for a phone/phone service?
It's absurd.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:48 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,806,802 times
Quote:
1 year really does seem to unusual. FWIW, I believe you, but I've met folks who easily get 2 years out of their iPhones, with some using them up to 6 years. TBF, after the 2 to 4 year mark, things get slower, it can't support the latest versions of iOS, the newest features pushed through software, or some apps require the newer versions of iOS.
The thing is, these phones are very well made. The hardware will last much longer than you would ever need to. If you are content to stay on the version of IOS and never update anything, then it might last you a decade.

It's the software that is a killer. Every year the operating system gets updated and apps add more functionality which is great, but in turn, they demand more power and resources that the original hardware can handle. If you try and stay up to date with every version of IOS, your phone will slow down and eventually become very cumbersome to use. The old rule of thumb was to update IOS once, twice MAX, but that may be stretching out of late.

I'm using a 6 which shipped with IOS8. As of today, I'm running IOS10 and I'm planning on updating one last time to IOS11.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:11 AM

33,064 posts, read 26,880,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
iPhones...the biggest scam ever.
Why would anyone willingly pay over 40 bucks (and over 30 a month) for a phone/phone service?
It's absurd.
Why is how other people choose to spend their money absurd?

I pay cash for all my iPhones. My phone bill is large, but there are 9 people on it (my parents, my husband's parents, both of us, and the kids).

We have a huge plan and our folks pay us their share every month.

We have no land lines. We have no cable TV.

We have only internet service. Of that, we have the fastest service available at our address, for both work (I telecommute and my spouse works from home pretty often) and for leisure streaming and so forth.

I suspect plenty of people think the way I spend my money for LTE and Internet is stupid, but would not spend a single dime to get cable TV.

And plenty of people pay over a hundred dollars a month for it.

It's their money, and I have zero business musing about how they spend it for their leisure or work pursuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or