U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 12:13 AM

33,080 posts, read 26,889,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
The thing is, these phones are very well made. The hardware will last much longer than you would ever need to. If you are content to stay on the version of IOS and never update anything, then it might last you a decade.

It's the software that is a killer. Every year the operating system gets updated and apps add more functionality which is great, but in turn, they demand more power and resources that the original hardware can handle. If you try and stay up to date with every version of IOS, your phone will slow down and eventually become very cumbersome to use. The old rule of thumb was to update IOS once, twice MAX, but that may be stretching out of late.

I'm using a 6 which shipped with IOS8. As of today, I'm running IOS10 and I'm planning on updating one last time to IOS11.
iOS 11 should run fine on a 6, albeit just a wee bit slow.

I would hate to see someone deal daily with iOS11 on a 5. My inlaws have 5c and 5s phones and they're sticking with 10.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:46 AM

1,515 posts, read 780,570 times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 02:17 AM

100 posts, read 54,576 times
Feel bad for anyone still buying the iCrap. Android is FAR better than anything Apple makes! Build quality, more customizable, less restrictions for what you want to do...the list goes on and on.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:47 AM

8,878 posts, read 4,832,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
They are finally doing things on the iPhone that have been available on Android for years.
Android?

What is that?

What are these "things"?

As I have said, the terminally clueless here and as I have also said, perhaps these "things" just aren't for me to worry my pretty little head about.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:00 AM

8,878 posts, read 4,832,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
These features stand out:
--Wireless charging. You can put your phone on top of some pad, and it'll charge. No need to plug a cable in. AFAIK, this pad is extra ($84 IIRC?), and may not charge as fast as via wired
--Edge to edge screen. Looks pretty for some. For others, they like having the bezels removed to have that extra viewing area.
--Face ID
Look at the camera to unlock. It works at night (since it uses infrared projector which doesn't depend on daylight, should work even if you have makeup/a beard, but may not if your eyes are closed)
The Iph8, Iph8+, and IphX get some minor spec bumps.

Otherwise this phone is more geared towards people who have Iphone models from 2 to 3+ generations ago. Those with last generation's or 2 gens ago may deem it's not worth upgrading this soon.
You basically got folks from all camps... "no way!", to "hell yes!", and in between saying they like the new features but it's not worth an extra $300 (vs. the Iph8).

As for yourself, if you really don't use any of the apps, from their app stores, then you probably could've just gotten a flip phone. Quadruple your battery life ......
OKAY!

Thank you!

When I was working with T-Mobile about getting a booster for the ranch, they told me that problem with my flip phone Razr was that it was 2G technology trying to work in a 4G network. That was the main problem with why I had such poor reception out in the country.

So I upgraded to second flip phone, I think a Razr V3, to the smart phone. Besides the phone, the alarm clock, and the keyboard for messaging (as oppose to searching for letters on keypad), the increased capability has been the ability to take videos which really helps in my dancing.

Other than that, though..........................

As it is, I bought the smart phone outright, paid for it all up front.

I don't think I need the face recognition since, should my phone fall into unfriendly hands, they really don't get anything except phone numbers. I don't conduct business, as much the world does, on the phone.

Once again, thank you!

Old 09-15-2017, 06:21 AM

8,002 posts, read 3,882,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Now that I think of it, my husband has had one for 2.5 years now with no problem. He doesn't let the kids touch it, he doesn't leave it plugged in charging overnight often. And he doesn't usually expose it to temps like I do. Hummmmm....
Mine is plugged in every night, all night. Been doing it that way for years. It's had no effect on the battery.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:25 AM

8,145 posts, read 11,877,664 times
Just amazes me on the people who will shell out $500 plus for a phone every 2 years because Apple comes out with a new model.

So now it looks like that $500 plus could be over $1000.

Fools and their money...

Old 09-15-2017, 06:52 AM

6,241 posts, read 1,510,506 times
From what Ive seen, cell phone technology has plateaued for the most part, every year, they come out with new phones, but nothing huge has changed in awhile, Id think by now we would have full 3D holographic interfaces and keyboards, fold-able, flexible phones, etc but nope, still the same basic 'smartphone' year after year.

This is similar to computer technology, we keep hearing how advanced and powerful basic computers are today, but for the most part, they are still pretty limited, or at least the tech the public has access to. I remember reading years ago about some of the tech being worked on and what to expect to see coming, some of that was ability to email/ text tangible objects, some form of cloaking or invisibility, and some other things, but so far nothing of this magnitude has come.

I almost think sometimes technology the public has access to, is scrutinized and suppressed if need be, in order that the tech doesnt become 'too good' or too beneficial to the people, a good example would be invisibility/ cloaking, if you could go to any store and buy an invisibility cape, this would be disastrous for law enforcement community and those trying to solve crimes, so it would be better to keep this tech from the public, for the good of society....I have a feeling a lot of tech is being suppressed for this very reason right now....just too much potential to be used for wrongdoing.

Whats the next big thing in cell phones?

Last edited by rstevens62; 09-15-2017 at 07:01 AM..

Old 09-15-2017, 07:09 AM

23,603 posts, read 31,169,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Apple want an extra $84 for a fast changer LOL!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLN5HSdU1kQ
That's how much Samsung's wireless chargers are going for in carrier stores (T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, etc.).

(They're cheaper on Amazon.)

Who buys their accessories at the phone store anyway? I try to never go there.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:12 AM

33,080 posts, read 26,889,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Feel bad for anyone still buying the iCrap. Android is FAR better than anything Apple makes! Build quality, more customizable, less restrictions for what you want to do...the list goes on and on.
Ummmm. No.

I like it when my phone doesnít explode and get me banned from airline travel.

What the hell is the deal with the iOS vs Android crap, anyway?

I prefer iOS. Itís more secure and it does what I need.

I prefer Apple hardware. Personal preference.

If you prefer Android and whatever Android phone/s you like, good for you.

This is why we have choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or