U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 03:52 PM

13,209 posts, read 7,432,890 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the hype around wireless charging. So you place the phone on an expensive charging pad that also has to be plugged in. How is that an improvement over a charger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 03:52 PM

4,348 posts, read 2,620,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
Doesn't the charging pad have to be plugged in? Also it seems it would make it difficult to use the phone while charging. You would have to use it on a flat surface or hold the pad with it. That's about as annoying as the 7 is with not being able to use the ear buds while it's plugged into the charger
Yes. But some people don't need to be using their phones while it's charging. Go home, place the phone on the pad, and be done with it. No need to fiddle with wires. As a bonus, one source said the pad's big enough to charge all Apple devices that support wireless charging, so no need to have a separate cable for each device.
If you're on travel often, or some road warrior, then yeah, stick with your traditional power cords, as that seems to be better suited for that use case

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It could possibly be extreme climate issues (both heat and cold)? When the iPhone gets cold sometimes it just turns off. Not a comforting thought if you need to use you phone in a cold emergency. Eek!

Some of the issues can be repaired. The batteries can be changed out. But my last iPhone 5 had a mother board death. And the current one has a glitch in the software that cant be fixed further then it is. A lot of my friends have reported the same thing and I hear the joke that they are set to self destruct at 1 year so you have to get a new one.

Also having kids might be part of the issue. They have a tendency to be hard on electronics. My son killed a battery by using my iPhone plugged in with almost not battery. I don't think it would have been that big of a deal, the charger was crappy and really slow.

Now that I think of it, my husband has had one for 2.5 years now with no problem. He doesn't let the kids touch it, he doesn't leave it plugged in charging overnight often. And he doesn't usually expose it to temps like I do. Hummmmm....
That makes sense. Temperature extremes, and kids.
My LG G4 can overhead in direct sunlight, so I need to keep it air conditioned to keep it from overheating, turn off the screen, or shield it from sunlight.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:00 PM

4,348 posts, read 2,620,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Ummmm. No.

I like it when my phone doesnít explode and get me banned from airline travel.

What the hell is the deal with the iOS vs Android crap, anyway?

I prefer iOS. Itís more secure and it does what I need.

I prefer Apple hardware. Personal preference.

If you prefer Android and whatever Android phone/s you like, good for you.

This is why we have choices.
The poster didn't say he was using a Note 7, just Android, so it's quite a false generalization to imply ALL Android phones are banned. It'd be like saying all iPhones' wifi will crap out on you just because of one case for that one model.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:25 PM

11,106 posts, read 6,611,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand the hype around wireless charging. So you place the phone on an expensive charging pad that also has to be plugged in. How is that an improvement over a charger?
My previous android phone had wireless charging. I guess it was nice to be able to just set my phone down and have it charge. The only issue was I couldn't use my phone while it was charging. So if my battery was dead, or almost dead, and I needed to use the phone for any reason, I was out of luck. The charging pad I had also needed the phone lined up n a certain way, so if my phone moved from vibrating it would sometimes stop charging.

The phone I have now has the fast charging. I prefer the fast charging over wireless.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:01 PM

100 posts, read 54,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Ummmm. No.

I like it when my phone doesnít explode and get me banned from airline travel.
You do realize that was just one model and there are LOTS of different models of smart phones that use Android, right? Here's an exploding iPhone: https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/24/1...brianna-olivas

Quote:
What the hell is the deal with the iOS vs Android crap, anyway?
Don't care for the smart phone peasants

Quote:
I prefer iOS. Itís more secure and it does what I need.
iOS is bare bones, basically the noobs of the smart phone world. Also, I prefer being able to Root my Android and have access to all sorts of cool features on top of the less restrictive ability.

Quote:
I prefer Apple hardware. Personal preference.

If you prefer Android and whatever Android phone/s you like, good for you.

This is why we have choices.
I doubt you have even really messed with an Android phone, let alone rooted one.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:20 PM
KCZ

1,558 posts, read 772,384 times
I've never owned an iPhone, but my current phone is 4 years old and I'm about ready for a change. So if you don't mind some basic questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
The thing is, these phones are very well made. The hardware will last much longer than you would ever need to. If you are content to stay on the version of IOS and never update anything, then it might last you a decade.

It's the software that is a killer. Every year the operating system gets updated and apps add more functionality which is great, but in turn, they demand more power and resources that the original hardware can handle. If you try and stay up to date with every version of IOS, your phone will slow down and eventually become very cumbersome to use. The old rule of thumb was to update IOS once, twice MAX, but that may be stretching out of late.

I'm using a 6 which shipped with IOS8. As of today, I'm running IOS10 and I'm planning on updating one last time to IOS11.
I thought Apple pushed out all updates. Can the user control iOS (or other) updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I REALLY dislike the storage options on these new iphones. Only choices are 64GB (insufficient) and 256GB (excessive and overly expensive). I'll hold onto my 128GB iphone 6s Plus which has the ideal amount of storage for me.
It seems they offer an unrealistic lower-end choice to force you to buy the more expensive one. Why don't they just use micro-SD cards?

Quote:
I have had a lot of iphones...I do get the insurance on them. They almost always fail in some way at a year. If you are lucky its the battery.
I've never had a phone where the battery isn't user-replaceable. Does ins. cover battery failures? Can carriers (e.g. Verizon) replace the battery so you don't have to send your phone out for repairs? How is this handled?

Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 PM

10,090 posts, read 6,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post

I've never had a phone where the battery isn't user-replaceable. Does ins. cover battery failures? Can carriers (e.g. Verizon) replace the battery so you don't have to send your phone out for repairs? How is this handled?
You either need to take it to a 3rd party repair shop, which voids your warrantee. Take it to an Apple shop and get billed way too much. Or send it in if you have insurance and pay the $99 deductible.

It sucks.

But the insurance pays if it is lost or stolen too. So that is good. But when I replaced it, I got a model lower then the one I had and I am pretty sure it was "refurbished". Kind of a scam

Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 PM

4,281 posts, read 1,476,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Feel bad for anyone still buying the iCrap. Android is FAR better than anything Apple makes! Build quality, more customizable, less restrictions for what you want to do...the list goes on and on.
looks like there is Apple hater in the house.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:18 AM

33,127 posts, read 26,953,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I REALLY dislike the storage options on these new iphones. Only choices are 64GB (insufficient) and 256GB (excessive and overly expensive). I'll hold onto my 128GB iphone 6s Plus which has the ideal amount of storage for me.
The storage breakdown is baffling. My guess is that next year, weíll either see a three-tiered system like before, or there will be a return of the 128 and a drop of the 64. Probably a 64, 256, 512 is more likely.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:20 AM

33,127 posts, read 26,953,686 times
Quote:
When iphones first came out they totally were status symbols. People flaunted them too. Now kids in elementary school have them and people who work at McDonalds. No one really cares about the models when they see them. Except for the very old ones you cant tell which one it is, especially when its in a case
This is a weird concept. I have never considered a phone of any sort to be a status symbol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or