Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,788,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
My previous android phone had wireless charging. I guess it was nice to be able to just set my phone down and have it charge. The only issue was I couldn't use my phone while it was charging. So if my battery was dead, or almost dead, and I needed to use the phone for any reason, I was out of luck. The charging pad I had also needed the phone lined up n a certain way, so if my phone moved from vibrating it would sometimes stop charging.

The phone I have now has the fast charging. I prefer the fast charging over wireless.
I agree. Wireless charging is something that sounds great in theory but it practice it isn't as great as it sounds. My biggest complaint were that you can't really use your phone while it is on the charger and that if you use a magnetic holder or had a protective case you couldn't use the wireless charger.

This time around, I'm going to try using a magnetic charger. With these, you just insert the usb into the port and the wire connects to the insert by a magnet. I like the concept of being able to connect and disconnect without having to insert the usb since it seems that is where cords eventually seem to fail. I just hope that they work as well as I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 03:56 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Thank you for all your responses.
Np!

As for an actual phone, if you still want an iPhone consider getting an older model. Like the iPhone SE, 6, 6s, 6+, and 6s+. Because the iphone 8, 8s, and X are literally the newest ones and most sought after, these will command a high premium. It may behoove you to buy an older model to save some money. If iOS is something you're into, then go ahead and upgrade to a better later on.

If you don't care about running apps (short for applications, aka software), then you really could just get away with a "dumbphone". Small screen because it still has a physical number pad, and not as suited for going on the internet, but you do quadruple your battery life since it's not consuming that much power that a smartphone does

Me, I do want to run some specific Android only apps, so I'm sticking with Android. I found the LG G4 for cheap online. It's used, but only $220. I read there was a bootloop issue, but I have yet to experience it (whew!). My insurance is my phone was so affordable, if I need to repair or replace it, I can do so out of pocket. As a bonus, I don't have to fumble around insurance policies, terms, and fine print, not to mention I didn't have to pay monthly premiums (those premiums saved is money back in my pocket for a new phone or other things). I don't care what the LG G5 is about, nor the latest offerings by Samsung nor Apple since I don't want to pay more than $350 for a new phone, let alone twice to 3x that amount!

Old 09-22-2017, 04:14 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand the hype around wireless charging. So you place the phone on an expensive charging pad that also has to be plugged in. How is that an improvement over a charger?
The pad isn't expensive. I bought an add on charger for my android phone that plugged into the usb port and is inserted behind the phone. It cost me 2.50 on Amazon. My charging pad cost 15 dollars. I no longer have to insert the usb cord to charge it AND my phone will ring if called while charging.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:07 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nope. The iPhone 10 is not a young person "selfie machine". It's an affluent person status symbol. The 6, 6s, 7, and now the 8 all look identical so they're no longer a status symbol since everyone has one. Most affluent people will justify it by saying it gives the display square inches of a "plus" iPhone while still being able to fit in their pocket like their regular iPhone. I'd like to have a "plus" but it's just to freakin' big.

I went from 4s to 6s. Almost four years. I'll likely do the same with the 6s. I'll skip the X and maybe think about next year's Xs.
My wife and I still have iPhone 5's. Guess we're not "everyone".

Old 09-23-2017, 09:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand the hype around wireless charging. So you place the phone on an expensive charging pad that also has to be plugged in. How is that an improvement over a charger?
Thats exactly what a friend of mine asked the people at best buy, not exactly wireless when the thing has to be plugged in! LOL

Cell phone technology has plateaued for the most part, phones are basically the same year after year, just small little changes to keep people buying news each year.

I remember when cell phones first came out, things changed overnight, they got smaller and smaller very quickly, then they got bigger and bigger, all this happened quickly, so its strange that has pretty much stalled in the past few years. Like Ive said before, wheres the next big thing? I kept seeing holographic technology being talked about, what to expect, then it was bendable, flex phones...but so far, nothing?

I think part of this is because technology the general public has access to, must always be kept within certain parameters, in other words, it cant be 'too good' or too beneficial to the point where it harms other industries or authority in anyway, kind of like invisibility cloaks, they say they are developing them, but I highly doubt they will allow the public to have such things, it would be a disaster for law enforcement if someone can go rob a bank, or commit other crimes and be totally invisible to cameras or the human eye, so even though they may be developing the technology, it will never be available to the public. I think we have reached this 'fine plateau line' with other tech as well.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:25 AM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As a permanent member of the terminally clueless, what's so special about this phone?

Keep in mind, this is being asked by someone who doesn't even know what kind of iphone they have, I think it is a 5ish type, but I can't get the protective case off to read the back. Further, this is being asked by someone who just uses it as a phone, texter, alarm clock, and immediate camera/video machine when my DSLR isn't around.

So the answer may just be, "don't worry your pretty head about it for you have no need for something like this."....maybe.
Nothing really. It's another less bezel, more screen phone. Everything is going that direction but the iPhone X (and all other "bezelless" phones) are moreso than normal phones. While the dimensions of the screen are different it basically is an iPhone 8+ screen size in a phone that's in between the size of an iPhone 8 and iPhone 8+. It's only really unique in Apple's lineup of phones but same thing that the Note 8, LG V30, Essential, or MIX are doing with Android. More screen in a smaller phone. The iPhone X is just on the more extreme range that the Essential or MIX whereas the Note 8 is more conventional with a full top bezel (just a smaller one) rather than a cut out in the top center. The MIX drops the front camera to the bottom of the screen but retains a more traditional bottom bezel. The Essential Phone similar to the iPhone X has a cut out for the camera with the speaker for your phone calls pushed up to a finger nail sized crack right just below the bezel so the cutout is substantially smaller than on the iPhone X.

Other than that basically the screen is just better. Finger print reader has been replaced by Face ID which isn't anything unique. LG had facial recognition way back ages ago on the G2 I had which didn't work very well. At least in the preproduction models, apparently neither does Face ID. Face ID is more sophisticated than the G2's implementation or more recently the S8 which you could simply print a photograph from someone's Facebook page and unlock the phone. More like Windows Hello supposedly but again, nothing unique.

But then there's nothing really unique with any of the current crop of Android phones either. Essential and MIX are perhaps the most unique but there's no real game changing anything on any of these phones. They're simply evolutionary devices. We haven't really had an revolutionary phone since the Note. The Note wasn't the first "phablet," just the first that didn't suck. The HTC Advantage was an odd ball device that was more like a Tablet with an attached keyboard that also had a phone in it than a phone. The Dell Streak was lousy. The Similarly, the iPhone wasn't the first smartphone but it was THE revolutionary phone that kicked off the modern era of phones. Prior to that you had Blackberry and Palm Treo type stuff that were more productivity oriented PDA/phone/email devices. Even phablets weren't all that much of an evolution but they launched the larger form factor that most present day phones have.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-24-2017 at 12:45 AM..

Old 09-24-2017, 10:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
We haven't really had an revolutionary phone since the Note. The Note wasn't the first "phablet," just the first that didn't suck. The HTC Advantage was an odd ball device that was more like a Tablet with an attached keyboard that also had a phone in it than a phone. The Dell Streak was lousy. The Similarly, the iPhone wasn't the first smartphone but it was THE revolutionary phone that kicked off the modern era of phones. Prior to that you had Blackberry and Palm Treo type stuff that were more productivity oriented PDA/phone/email devices. Even phablets weren't all that much of an evolution but they launched the larger form factor that most present day phones have.
Isnt this strange though? We are always led to believe technology grows by leaps and bounds very quickly, and we saw that, but only for a awhile...???

I have a sneaky feeling technology is being suppressed.

Where is the next revolutionary phone or phone tech?

Old 09-24-2017, 07:40 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Isnt this strange though? We are always led to believe technology grows by leaps and bounds very quickly, and we saw that, but only for a awhile...???

I have a sneaky feeling technology is being suppressed.

Where is the next revolutionary phone or phone tech?
Conspiracy theory says they have the battery technology that lasts much longer than now, but they're holding it back for profit reasons [shrug] I've heard my share of them, but I won't really indulge anymore in this. AFAIK, they could work on improving battery tech, but that's still a ways off.

As far as "leaps and bounds" go, they stopped making processors going faster than 3 GHz-ish because it's more cost effective to just put in more cores. Chip manufacturers have determined if they make even faster chips, it makes no business sense because they can't charge what they need to to make money off them after R&D and setting up producing them.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:21 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A Galaxy S6 doesn't support FaceTime or iMessage. Everyone I know is in the Apple ecosystem. I know when my text messages are delivered and read. I do FaceTime video calls all the time. Like any computer, I buy it to run specific applications. I don't have a ChromeBook because I run a very specific list of applications for my job that don't support that OS. My smartphone is no different.
I don't see why you can't use facetime on Samsungs third highest phone, as far as seeing text delivered and read; there are androids that do that. My comment was a joke, most of the things this new phone does, androids have been doing already, and for half or less than that outrageous effing price. The phone cost more than a chromebook.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:41 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
And not much on that snarky little graphic matters to me.

I'm glad you like your Android. I'll stick to my iPhone. Not sure why that bothers you.

Why do Android users take it as a personal affront when someone says they prefer iPhone?
I guess it's like how there are people who still prefer to build carburated engines versus running EFI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events