Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 02:46 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Exactly, how about the city focuses on making itself better so people don't have to resort to stealing? Clearly the area is full of sh*tty people, that's the problem. This apparent proposal by the city council, if true, is not addressing the issue at all and is putting a bandaid on the totally wrong place.
Maybe you don't understand that many of these criminals travel from other counties to shoplift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 03:30 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Maybe you don't understand that many of these criminals travel from other counties to shoplift.
Over 60% of store theft arrests where I live are people from an adjacent County. Car thefts are higher as are ATV thefts.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:27 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Maybe you don't need to be condescending.

All I know is my town isn't full of rampant shoplifting. I know what areas are, as I used to be privy to police reports from the county, and I know the types of areas they're in and who frequents them.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:10 PM

124 posts, read 113,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The nuisance is that they're chronically understaffed & using the police as their own store security. They have poorly designed / laid out stores & not nearly enough people to staff them. How often do you see an employee when you're walking the aisles at the depot? I rest my case.
Agreed! I have witnessed shoplifting up close and personal in each store here in my hometown. Home Depot apparently does not staff up their own security, or they are not allowed to do any sort of 'take down.' Lowe's on the other hand, is very vocal about it and physically places security at all entrances during an witnessed event.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:46 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
They should include Walmart on that list also. I'd almost bet that no other retailer is hit harder in loss than a Walmart..

Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Walmart and grocery stores have higher incidences of shop lifting than HD or Lowe's.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:08 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Walmart and grocery stores have higher incidences of shop lifting than HD or Lowe's.
Convenience stores like 7/11 are even higher.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:57 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Convenience stores like 7/11 are even higher.
Yes, shoplifting is frequent at gas stations/ convenience stores, but its effect on profit margins is insignificant. Its one reason why the company I work for, changed their policy on this, it just doenst effect profit that much, even for fuel drive offs surprisingly. I was not privy to the details on the study my company did, but I assume the very high mark up on generally low cost products have something to do with it.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:47 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
How would I know? Lowe's also has security. Maybe Lowe's isn't calling the police and just letting it go. Maybe there's a bus stop in front of Home Depot and there isn't at Lowe's. Just because you're not seeing reports about it happening at Lowe's, doesn't mean that it's not happening.
If you don't know either, then that's fine. This is an internet forum. If somebody can answer questions, then great. Either way, it serves its purpose.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:02 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
That’s crazy! The city council having the power to label a business as a ‘nuisance’ because of shoplifter, I’ve never heard of such a thing. How about the city council getting their police department to actually help the situation by working with the store? I know the Home Depot stores in my area are always monitoring the shoplifter problem and they do everything they can to prevent it. There may be too many lowlife individuals that feel they can take advantage of these big box stores and thus the problem is how to get rid of the lowlifes in the area.
City council must be democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events