Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:08 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Blame the business instead of the shoplifters? Really stupid logic there, won't attract new businesses that way.
Its not putting blame anywhere, just that a particular business requires so much time of the police dept on a consistent basis, its the same when they label bars and clubs with this, its not necessarily the businesses fault, but the fact remains, police must respond frequently.

The large gas station/ convenience store chain I work for does not call police over shoplifting anymore (maybe to avoid getting this label?), all managers can do is kick the person out, but they cannot stop them from coming in again, this came after a manager got in some trouble trying to detain someone until police arrived.

Plus the company looked into theft and shoplifting and found its effect on the profit margin was not that significant, even for fuel drive offs apparently? Go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 09:20 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
I remember several years ago when a major bookstore had to close their doors at a shopping mall that was “very upscale” and an economically high end area of the city. Lots of neighborhood locals shopped there as well a large number of visitors who stayed in the high-end hotels across the street. As my wife and I were checking out and mentioned how sad we were that the store was closing their doors the clerk said "the store had a $500,000 loss in theft and shoplifting from the year before".

Strangely they had security cameras and metal detecting machines at the front door to catch people who took books or items out without paying for them but still….. ½ million bucks in theft. It tells me that even in upscale areas of a city with “special” people that these things happen, so it’s not just a poor rundown area of town that has issues.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:22 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its not putting blame anywhere, just that a particular business requires so much time of the police dept on a consistent basis, its the same when they label bars and clubs with this, its not necessarily the businesses fault, but the fact remains, police must respond frequently.

The large gas station/ convenience store chain I work for does not call police over shoplifting anymore (maybe to avoid getting this label?), all managers can do is kick the person out, but they cannot stop them from coming in again, this came after a manager got in some trouble trying to detain someone until police arrived.

Plus the company looked into theft and shoplifting and found its effect on the profit margin was not that significant, even for fuel drive offs apparently? Go figure!
What town is this in? I'm not buying it because bars and clubs typcially fuel the problem with long days of alcohol this is not the issue at Home Depot I ima

Old 09-18-2017, 09:35 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,232,871 times
Four blocks can make a big difference for theft. Maybe the HD is closer than Lowe's to a bus route or a freeway where thieves can make a quick getaway.

In a store as big as HD, with multiple entrances there's not a lot that additional security or cameras can do (remember, they have to actually see someone pocketing something AND walking out of the store without paying for it). And alarm systems could help, but you can't put a sensor on every little piece of copper.

If this were my town, I'd want to see some stats that show this particular store is actually worse for theft--not just worse for calling the cops--and that they are in some way contributing to the problem or at least failing to prevent it.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:44 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
One of the factor HD vs convenience store has to deal with is the cost of prosecution,

The Manager / Guard / Loss Prevention will be called to testify in the case if it goes that far. Is it worth to the convenience store owner to pay the store manager $15/hr or so, to go to court for a hour or two, to testify that yes he saw that person put the $1 candy bar in his pocket and walk out of the store. Loss due to Shoplifting 50¢ (actual cost of the bar). Cost to show up to testify $30. (Also the staff turn over at convenience store is high, when the case get to court in 6-9 months or so will that manager/clerk still be working there?)

HD, Someone steals a $400 Sawzall.. its worth it to go testify.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:47 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
all managers can do is kick the person out, but they cannot stop them from coming in again, this came after a manager got in some trouble trying to detain someone until police arrived.
Legally they can be banned from the store and arrested for trespassing if they come in again. Half the problem is too many businesses roll over and give up because it is so difficult to successfully prosecute shoplifting, but that's like sending an open invitation for them to come in and help themselves
Your local HD is trying to send the message that they aren't an easy target for the lowlifes in your area, your police should be backing that up, not complaining that it consumes resources.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:07 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:

would you please post the name and location of this business? I could use some free stuff...

Old 09-18-2017, 01:43 PM

579 posts, read 367,887 times
What does this city council want Home Depot to do? Shoot shoplifters on sight and drag the dead body around back and toss it in the dumpster?

Old 09-18-2017, 01:56 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
What does this city council want Home Depot to do? Shoot shoplifters on sight and drag the dead body around back and toss it in the dumpster?
Provide a shuttle bus over to Lowe's to even out the numbers.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:01 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I have worked a lot of places when younger that just let shoplifters go because they don't want to take the time to go to court etc so they just let them go . So naturally I think that some of these places get talked about in certain crowds therefore they will have more shoplifters . Do I understand it NO I don't but I'm not in charge of the universe .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events