Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 02:10 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,477,081 times

Advertisements

I have a good friend that sits on a local city council, they have an upcoming vote on whether to label the Home Depot a 'nuisance business'.

I just heard about this, but did some searching online and it does appear this particular Home Depot catches shoplifters sometimes multiple times per day, police are always being sent here to pick them up and officially charge them. Just looking thru the city arrest records, this home depot and a few other retail stores seem to take up a lot of police resources. Another store that sells higher end makeup in the same area in one week called for police over shoplifting, a whooping 24 times!! But its only a handful of businesses that have this problem.

Whats strange about this, a Lowes stores is only about 4 blocks away from this HD and apparently its rare for them to call for police over shoplifting.

The city council member I know is voting for the label, but I think his opinion of home depot in general was pretty low, even before this came up, so it should be interesting to see what happens. In the past, once a business gets this label, its not long before the city shuts them down, usually though in the past, its always been smaller businesses, never huge companies like Home depot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 02:57 PM

26,175 posts, read 21,433,198 times
Where do you live that a business getting stuff stolen from them causes the city to shut them down?

Old 09-17-2017, 03:54 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,793,625 times
That’s crazy! The city council having the power to label a business as a ‘nuisance’ because of shoplifter, I’ve never heard of such a thing. How about the city council getting their police department to actually help the situation by working with the store? I know the Home Depot stores in my area are always monitoring the shoplifter problem and they do everything they can to prevent it. There may be too many lowlife individuals that feel they can take advantage of these big box stores and thus the problem is how to get rid of the lowlifes in the area.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:57 PM

14,388 posts, read 11,884,414 times
Sounds like the nuisance is they actually report crime, rather than just quietly take it?

I'd think they - Home Depot and the Police, and the City... should publicize that Home Depot prosecutes every case! If the goal is to actually deter and fight crime.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:28 PM

7,057 posts, read 8,884,644 times
Blame the business instead of the shoplifters? Really stupid logic there, won't attract new businesses that way.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:48 PM

26,175 posts, read 21,433,198 times
I've heard of bars and clubs becoming nuisance because of noise violations and other typcially alcohol related or fuled events going on and the fuel is being sold by said business. Homedepot wouldn't in my guess be instigating this. I'd also speculate that if lowes isn't calling their crap is just getting stolen

Old 09-17-2017, 04:51 PM

45,046 posts, read 60,086,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I've heard of bars and clubs becoming nuisance because of noise violations and other typcially alcohol related or fuled events going on and the fuel is being sold by said business. Homedepot wouldn't in my guess be instigating this. I'd also speculate that if lowes isn't calling their crap is just getting stolen
That's the typical nuisance business type, not home improvement or fashion stores.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:39 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,622,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Sounds like the nuisance is they actually report crime, rather than just quietly take it?

I'd think they - Home Depot and the Police, and the City... should publicize that Home Depot prosecutes every case! If the goal is to actually deter and fight crime.
The nuisance is that they're chronically understaffed & using the police as their own store security. They have poorly designed / laid out stores & not nearly enough people to staff them. How often do you see an employee when you're walking the aisles at the depot? I rest my case.

Wal mart is just as big of a corporate mooch. In my area, Wal marts average 1000 calls to police per year.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...lice/95144766/

Old 09-17-2017, 05:44 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,622,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Blame the business instead of the shoplifters? Really stupid logic there, won't attract new businesses that way.
If the business attracts enough police attention that you pretty much need to "assign" an officer to the store, then the business needs to justify itself to the community. Many communities decide they don't want night clubs for the same reason- whether it's drunken patrons, stealing patrons, parking lots that attract drug-users & prostitutes.. It's the same thing - homeowners subsidizing businesses that aren't necessarily worth having.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:54 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,952,149 times
The local Police union is probably applying pressure since they fail to "Hire" off duty cops for security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events