Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:11 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Dude. All you have to do is say, "No, thank you".

I prefer brick-and-mortar, generally, because I enjoy the human element. It's nice to get out there and interact with live human beings, you know? As long as they have good customer service training, and all. You can also run into friends or neighbors among the customers, enjoy a chat or share a laugh with someone in the checkout line--you can't get any of that when buying online. Plus, you can actually touch and examine the goods before buying, which you also can't do online. Much less need for returns, and the hassle of taking the returns to the post office, that way.

Just call me old-fashioned, I guess. Silly me--enjoying the company of humans. *sigh*
I guess it is all about personal preference. The human contact that you enjoy is the thing I hate the most about brick and mortar shopping. I like to buy my stuff online, no small talk, no door dings, no annoying store employees and you can always find exactly what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 01:19 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
I had to get a birthday gift for my 5yo nephew, for last Sunday, I drove by the Toys "R" Us and went to Target.

Same Item, Probably same price (Or close), It did not occur to me to stop at Toys "R" Us to go look for it. My car just went on auto pilot to Target.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:09 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Typically Toys R Us is more expensive than Walmart or Target. The only time I go to Toys R Us is if I can't find it anywhere else. I have also noticed that you can never find anyone there to help you as they have a minimal staff working and they are not friendly at all! The employees definitely hate their jobs because they never smile!

Seems sad some will close, but you can't run a business that way.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:27 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
TOYS R US INC Executive Salaries & Other Compensation | Salary.com

On one hand, 1 to 5 million dollar salaries seem ludicrous. OTOH, someone mentioned they have 5 billion dollars worth of debt, so it seems like that was small beans anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
They filed for a Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which means they're trying to reorganize and remain in business. It seems likely that they'll still be up and running for this Christmas season. But beyond that? Who knows.

My advice is, if anyone gives you a Toys R Us gift card for Christmas, go and spend it sooner rather than later.
Do they still use Geoffrey (the giraffe) dollars, or were those basically gift certificates with his image plastered all over it? Either way, and if they do, use 'em if you got 'em!

Old 09-20-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I never understood that either. Why did it take them so long? I would picture someone getting my order, wrapping it up, getting on their bicycle, and peddling cross-country to deliver it to me.

I certainly don't miss the long wait for the K-Tel record to finally show up. (And I'm surprised to learn that K-Tel is still in business. Who knew?)
Well, if you go back far enough, say 1888, Sears started off as a mail order catalog. Between sending money and for the them to receive it, and to ship the goods via rail, that sounds about right?

Even then, mail ordering stuff with a check a few decades back would seem to take about that long.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:57 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Online shopping wins again plus, do kids even do anything other than stare at electronics these days? Sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Mine play with toys a lot. Most households with kids under 13 have a ton (maybe too many) toys.
My son can use an ipad but he also plays with toys. He is 5 years old and I see him put the ipad down on his own and go play with his toys. God knows he has enough of them. He plays outside, goes to karate and plays board games so he get's his play time in. I am more worried about the day when we can't deny him a gaming console and than he never leaves his room. I am dreading that day.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Sad that there will be more people out looking for another job in the midst of those that are still looking.

Also missed opportunities: Toys R Us partnered with the U.S. Marines Toys For Tots and helped to raise a lot of money to get toys and/or money to buy toys to those youngsters that would not have received a toy. I tried to copy and paste a link but my finger must have lost its "paste" powers. Anyhow you can Google Toys For Tots and Marines and see the amount/s raised (2015 or 2016, I think).

Old 09-20-2017, 06:36 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Typically Toys R Us is more expensive than Walmart or Target. The only time I go to Toys R Us is if I can't find it anywhere else. I have also noticed that you can never find anyone there to help you as they have a minimal staff working and they are not friendly at all! The employees definitely hate their jobs because they never smile!

Seems sad some will close, but you can't run a business that way.
Not true for the Hagerstown, Md one that I stopped at a few years ago to find something. The young guy was super nice and helpful trying to locate this paint spray project I was looking to get. It was within the last two weeks before Christmas so you can imagine how busy they must have been.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:42 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
I've had 4 gift cards for more than 10 years sitting here, I don't even remember where I got them from to be honest. I think the X got them originally. Once I heard about them filing Chapter 11 I grabbed the cards and went and just bought stuff to use the cards. Figured, I could return if I didn't like for something else. The store I went to was a Toys and Babies R Us combined, small compared to other Toys R Us. Was deader than a doornail. I haven't been in a store like that for a good 15 years. Nothing like I use remember.

If they go out of business, is there any national toy stores left? I don't think so.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I've had 4 gift cards for more than 10 years sitting here, I don't even remember where I got them from to be honest. I think the X got them originally. Once I heard about them filing Chapter 11 I grabbed the cards and went and just bought stuff to use the cards. Figured, I could return if I didn't like for something else. The store I went to was a Toys and Babies R Us combined, small compared to other Toys R Us. Was deader than a doornail. I haven't been in a store like that for a good 15 years. Nothing like I use remember.

If they go out of business, is there any national toy stores left? I don't think so.
Good question. I could only think up of Toys R Us. I'd say KB Toy Store, but "I cheated" and saw that online somewhere posted by somewhere else. Only other equivalency I could think up of is EB Games. They're supposed to be console/handheld systems, + games for them (sold on physical media). However, I walk into one every now and then, and note they've branched out a bit, also peddling used phones, tablets, collectibles and the like (e.g. MineCraft plush dolls, figurines), and action figures. However, the actual wares could vary from store to store.

Otherwise, for actual toys, they've been cornered by department stores like Walmart, Target, Kmart, and in limited selections from department stores like mall Macys

Oh, back when Radio Shack was still around, they had a small toy section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events