Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 09:56 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
She didn't value her own life?
Probably not. She had nothing to go back to, which is sad in its own right.

I see these kind of Instalives all the time. All those pictures will be gone when the Internet disappears and they have nothing else to show for their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 10:05 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
What an utterly stupid statement
How so? They can keep their favelas and bays of raw sewage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
She had death threats a couple of days before she was murdered, and she wrote about thirty boats with people pointing arrows at her. She knew that she was trespassing into a place where she was not welcome and not wanted. She should have used more common sense.
Silly goyim! How dare you talk down those wonderful brown people, you white devil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
There are plenty of places in the US where this could happen. Try venturing into Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis, Cleveland, etc, in the middle of the night by yourself and see what happens
True, but this is common knowledge. Try and find an online guide about places like San Pedro Sula, Honduras, and you'd be hard pressed to find anything regarding it being the murder capital of the world. Really. It's not like most of Honduras has innerweb access, so whose feelings are getting hurt? It's usually trust fund snowflakes writing these guides or editing them that will get you in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Beats working a J-O-B... At least she had one first! That sets her apart from most of this ilk.

Yawn. I like my job to where it doesn't feel like one. Besides, if I want to basically commit assisted suicide, I can do it closer to home. Easier for the kinfolk to turn me to ashes. I hear she skied across Antarctica...must not be that big a deal if just anyone in decent shape can do it.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:23 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
She had death threats a couple of days before she was murdered, and she wrote about thirty boats with people pointing arrows at her. She knew that she was trespassing into a place where she was not welcome and not wanted. She should have used more common sense.
I missed this. Could you post a link?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-26-2017 at 11:00 PM..

Old 09-27-2017, 08:43 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Probably not. She had nothing to go back to, which is sad in its own right.

I see these kind of Instalives all the time. All those pictures will be gone when the Internet disappears and they have nothing else to show for their lives.
Lots of people don't have much to live for, per se. They don't all necessarily set off down the Amazon as a result?

I'd argue she DID have something to live for: her social media "fame," such as it was, which required such antics.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:59 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
It's unbelievable, that in view of this, she chose to continue alone. The townfolk flagged her in, and sat her down to warn her that she'd be killed if she went through the next day of her trip alone. They even offered to carry her and her equipment, past danger, but she chose to head right into it. They tried to save her life, but she didn't seem to care. She didn't value her own life?
This is so sad. Even in the worst hellholes, most ordinary people are NOT vicious sociopathic criminals; when the locals tell you "Don't do X! You could be killed!" a sensible person listens to their advice and follows it, knowing that those concerned locals are simply looking out for their welfare.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:11 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Silly goyim! How dare you talk down those wonderful brown people, you white devil!
Let's realize that not all brown people are the same just because they're brown. Traveling in an isolated drug-infested area deep in the Amazon, or anywhere around the world for that matter, is not a good idea. That said lots of people visit the Amazon with nothing like this ever happening to them. I was one of those people who visited the Amazon rainforest and sailed down the Amazon River, and nothing bad happened to me or anyone in my group. In fact there are tons of "jungle lodges" opening up in the area and people buying up land in the Amazon for personal enjoyment. What was the difference between between us and that woman?
We visited a relatively touristy, drug-free part of the Amazon where violent crime is incredibly rare. From what I take, she visited a particularly dangerous part of the Amazon as the locals warned her. But there are tons of places in the Amazon that don't have such dangers, you have to be smart about it

Quote:
True, but this is common knowledge. Try and find an online guide about places like San Pedro Sula, Honduras, and you'd be hard pressed to find anything regarding it being the murder capital of the world. Really. It's not like most of Honduras has innerweb access, so whose feelings are getting hurt? It's usually trust fund snowflakes writing these guides or editing them that will get you in trouble.
San Pedro Sula and most of the Central American capitals are not tourist destinations (and for good reason!). Actually in the urban areas of Central America most people do have phones and computers. Just with much ****tier internet service, or with pay-as-you-go phones. Either way I openly admit that most of Central America is a ****hole at the moment. Central America needs to get its **** together. Compare it with another Latin country like Chile. Honduras has a murder rate that is 16x higher than in Chile. And El Salvador is 23x higher than in Chile. So this is where you have a big problem

Old 09-27-2017, 09:22 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
This is so sad. Even in the worst hellholes, most ordinary people are NOT vicious sociopathic criminals; when the locals tell you "Don't do X! You could be killed!" a sensible person listens to their advice and follows it, knowing that those concerned locals are simply looking out for their welfare.
If I had a nickle for every time someone told me not to do something that was "too dangerous" that I did anyway, I'd have a lot more nickles than deaths for sure.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
If I had a nickle for every time someone told me not to do something that was "too dangerous" that I did anyway, I'd have a lot more nickles than deaths for sure.
You have to use your faculty of discernment. You have to have some savvy about situations. When local people go to the effort of calling you in as you pass by in the middle of the river, take you into their homes, offer you what little they have to offer, hospitality-wise, and take the time to give you a talk about the local conditions and dangers, and what's more--actually offer to carry you past a known high-risk danger zone, you're a fool not to listen.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Let's realize that not all brown people are the same just because they're brown. Traveling in an isolated drug-infested area deep in the Amazon, or anywhere around the world for that matter, is not a good idea. That said lots of people visit the Amazon with nothing like this ever happening to them. I was one of those people who visited the Amazon rainforest and sailed down the Amazon River, and nothing bad happened to me or anyone in my group. In fact there are tons of "jungle lodges" opening up in the area and people buying up land in the Amazon for personal enjoyment. What was the difference between between us and that woman?
We visited a relatively touristy, drug-free part of the Amazon where violent crime is incredibly rare. From what I take, she visited a particularly dangerous part of the Amazon as the locals warned her. But there are tons of places in the Amazon that don't have such dangers, you have to be smart about it

San Pedro Sula and most of the Central American capitals are not tourist destinations (and for good reason!). Actually in the urban areas of Central America most people do have phones and computers. Just with much ****tier internet service, or with pay-as-you-go phones. Either way I openly admit that most of Central America is a ****hole at the moment. Central America needs to get its **** together. Compare it with another Latin country like Chile. Honduras has a murder rate that is 16x higher than in Chile. And El Salvador is 23x higher than in Chile. So this is where you have a big problem
San Pedro Sula (and the most of the rest of Honduras) used to be a placid, sleepy little place full of some of the sweetest people! Then the Contra war happened, and the US government used areas of Honduras as military outposts, to fight a way against the Sandinistas in Nicaragua. This introduced violence into the area. And it's been downhill ever since, with drug trafficking and other issues. There was some US interference in a national election there, during the Obama administration, as well. Guatemala was up-and-coming, until the US launched a coup, because a couple of people in government didn't like the new president's land reform program. I'm tired of people characterizing Latin American countries as chaotic and ungovernable, when in fact, on of the main problems in many countries has been US interference.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:42 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
You have to use your faculty of discernment.
Of course you do.

Quote:
you're a fool not to listen
Is their any indication that she didn't listen?
One does not have to be a fool to
1) accept a higher amount of risk in their own lives than another person would
2) lose a bet
3) underestimate a risk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events